GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 08:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LONGBEACH KITE FESTIVAL...HEY! U PHOTO GEEKS!!! PLEASE SEND PICTURES  (Read 3023 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 17, 2009, 05:35 PM »

Hey, U Longbeach Kite Fest-folks!!!!

MY EYE BALLS ARE ACHIN' FOR A KITE PHOTO FIX...HELP!!!
POST SOME NEW PHOTOS N' STORIES?Huh??

EXILED SHULTZIE in Gig haaaaba wa.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:36 AM by Steve » Logged
mikenchico

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:28 PM »

Impatient aren't we?  Wink

Monday is trains and arches day, since they take awhile to put up & take down the day is pretty much dedicated to them and they are left flying after the judging as long as the owners want.

The day started out clear & windy but some high fog blew in after 1:00 or 2:00. Winds were running in the 14 - 16 mph range, maybe more at times, the trains handled it pretty good with only a few tangles & iquad spent the day with the vents.

See next post for more

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikenchico

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 11:29 PM »

Barry & Susan and Russel & Diana launched a sky full of Sutton's at the far north end, Dale had out 3 new Octo's (the rainbow tentacles really work on them) along with many others I didn't get a chance to meet. Pulling down the Sutton 450's was a bit of work but luckily the fog stayed high & the kites dried quickly once on the ground & didn't have to get put away wet.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:08 AM »

Good deal Mike..Thanks!
In nineteen hours we'll be on the road........should get there around noon Wed.

Can't wait!

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Sketch

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 12:05 PM »

MIKE...AAAAAHHHHHHHH..WHAT A RELIEF IT IS!!!...
THANKS!!! GOOD BUD, FOR THE KITE-FIX! Tongue
Really nice shots...and information. Looking forward to more weekly report.
Also GREAT LOOKING SKY ART!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:39 PM »

Hey Mike, got a higher res version of the arches? Very cool.   Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:27 PM »

my flight got messed up !!!! so we cannot make it soooooooo PLEASE post pics so that i can feel REALLY jealous thanx ko

have fun kurt
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:22 PM »

It's not over till Sunday, surely they can get your flight straight by then! Huh
mikenchico

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:01 AM »

Here's a few more shots from WSIKF 2009. This panorama is a 3 shot manual stitch, that's a lot of work, I need a panorama camera since I think that captured the feeling of a festival better then I've been able to before. Click the pic for my Picassa album.

Today started out clear but windless, started to see kites popping up from our cabin around 10:00 AM so headed on down. Sun stayed out all day, warm enough to make us California folks break a sweat in shorts & t-shirts. Club & Team events on Tuesdays, Terrific Territories, Pun Fun & Rok Battles.

Wednesday is Patriotic Day so I guess we'll be flying the 19 foot flag delta along with events for the kids & Seniors. Rhonda kindly pointed out last year that I can enter both those, the former mentally & the later physically  Wink

Thanks Allen, I've been trying to shoot trains & arches for 20 years with poor results, I thought that second one was about the best I've ever gotten. I'll email you an unedited original.

ko

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 07:36 AM »

no problem getting there but i booked  my room till sat . there are no flights out.and i was lucky to get the room i had.  if it had  just been me, i would have slept in a car till i could get out.  the problem was the departure date, which got messed up, can't say much about that bottom line is i am heading to san diego for a few days, i'll put up a few kites and dream KO

have fun kurt
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 10:26 AM »

Thanks Mike,

My first day, at my first WSIKF, was, of course trains & arches Monday. Made quite an impression on me. The official poster that year was a nice painting of trains & arches. Been on my wall ever since.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Sketch

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 05:54 PM »

MIKE..
That is an awesome Panorammmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaashot! WOW!
mikenchico

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 11:17 PM »

The below pic about sums up today

Fog burned off by 10:00 am and the weather was fantastic ... except for the wind.

Came up for about an hour around 1:00, went from SUL to Vented then back down to 2-4 mph as a guess.

Lots of Red/White/Blue banners but few kites got out in the short time the winds co-operated.

Thursday is Handcrafted competitions, hoping to see some nice new kites, nothing from us though.

RobB

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 04:06 AM »

Hey Mike...
That shot with the 'ghost' fliers near the surf is awesome ! And as if Ray Bethel's field needs to be marked with his kites set up there... Cheesy
Thanks for all the great shots, it looks like this is one festival that I have to get to one year !
~Rob.

browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 07:28 PM »

Saturday: I guess Iquad was getting bored.. Tongue

I call them lolly pops, but i might be wrong

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change