GWTW Forum
November 21, 2017, 11:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving to the dark side  (Read 906 times)
Jsc2501
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 26, 2017, 10:56 AM »

Help!

2line sport kite flyer thinking about make a move to the dark side. If you can't beat um join um. Lol. But seriously, there are so many different types of Revs where do you even begin. Not to mention line weight, length, std sail, mid, full vent? Recommendations welcome
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:47 AM »

head down to Fort Taber and see Art and Beth or Jim and ask them to try a few!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
makatakam
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:16 PM »

Definitely try before you buy, and get some advice for which is the best all-around for your area. Although most people start with a standard sail, if prevalent winds in your area are on the strong side, you may consider a vented kite to start with. A standard sail is the right one 90 percent of the time, and will cover winds from 4 to 12-ish miles per hour, depending on how choppy or gusty it is. Visit a kite shop in your region and they will assist you with choosing the right kite. As far as choices other than the amount of venting are concerned, the depth of your wallet is the only limitation. There are entry, mid and advanced kites. You probably would not be able to tell the difference among them until you have hundreds of hours experience, and since the first one you have takes the worst beating and crashes and rough treatment, my advice is to learn on something cheap and/or used. But if something strikes your fancy, hey, go for it. It may not be optimum, but you'll make do until you expand your collection. Just remember, flying sport kites is addicting. So have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
tpatter
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 06:49 PM »

Lots of folks fly Rev, but I much prefer Lams ABS to them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHn7xFiKM0k

6 kite tom
ezme6
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:38 AM »

I prefer the ABS too....

"Do what you like"
Jsc2501

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 04:47 PM »

Thank you all for your input. Made the leap,  patiently waiting for the mail.  Well, maybe an exaggeration on the patient part  Lol
makatakam

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:16 PM »

Thank you all for your input. Made the leap,  patiently waiting for the mail.  Well, maybe an exaggeration on the patient part  Lol

Are you planning to keep us in suspense forever? Huh?  Cheesy What did you get? Come on. You can tell us. We're family.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Jsc2501

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 12:27 PM »

Rev 1.5 mid vent in black and lime
makatakam

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 06:34 PM »

Rev 1.5 mid vent in black and lime

Coooool. For your first few flights, wait for wind that is 7mph minimum, 17mph maximum. In this range you will not have to fight the wind for control of the kite. Definitely watch the beginner tutorials made by John Barresi on the KiteLife forum, unless you have an experienced flyer with you when you fly. It will save you a lot of grief. Just remember that when you set up the kite and lay out the lines, 98% of the twists that appear to be in the lines will disappear when you tension them. The remainder should be easy to lose. If you have some experience with dual-line kites, then you already know what I mean.

If you have stock Rev handles with short leaders, about 5" long, attach your top lines to the knots furthest out from the handles, and the bottoms to the ones nearest the handles. If the bottom leaders do not have a knot within 3/4" of the handle, tie some in and use those.

Definitely join us on the KiteLife forum if you haven't already. Lots of quad-heads there. If you are going to be learning on your own, as I did, without the help of an experienced flyer on the field with you, you will run into a few frustrating moments and do a lot of walking between the kite and the handles. Don't let it get to you. Each time out it gets easier, and you quickly learn what not to do. Get a long screwdriver or something else you can use as a stake to hold the handles when you aren't holding them. Always park the kite inverted (leading edge down) when staking down the handles. This will prevent unintentional launches. Be careful. Be safe. Do not fly near people, power lines, street traffic -- basically anything that would be bad news if the kite contacts it at full speed. Stay away from trees until you no longer have the kite going where you didn't intend it to go; trees eat kites, and they definitely will make a mess of your lines.

Remember, if you have questions, ask. We have all been down this road ahead of you and can tell you where the car-eating potholes are.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:52 PM by makatakam » Logged

MARK

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom