GWTW Forum
November 24, 2017, 09:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maiden voyage  (Read 1085 times)
mcz30
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 27, 2017, 07:27 PM »

Thanks in advance. Had my 1st real flyin day with a quad. Wind in upper teens. Few questions.
1. In inverted position fairly high in window had kite go into a spin a few times. What happened?
2. In final landing, end of session, backed kite down in flying position, enough wind where it did not want lay down. Im guessing I need to land inverted??
3. Have 90lb and 150lb line with full vent what winds for what lines? Flew fine with 150lb.
Lots of fun for higher wind days.  Cheesy Grin Cool
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 04:00 AM »

If the kite is in a propeller spin it means that one handle is tipped forward. The kite will stay neutral if both handles are even.

Quads don't lie down when you land them unless you're at the edge of the wind window just like a stunt kite. When I land my quads I try to move to where I have my handle stakes so that I can put the handles on the stakes.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

Bob D.
makatakam

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 11:15 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the "dark side". Assuming you are totally new to flying a quad-line kite:

1. The inverted position is difficult to hold steady for quite some time, until you have enough time spent flying inverted. This is usually 100+ hours, unless you are a "natural". Higher in the window is even more difficult, because the pressure on the sail is decreased, and the kite is sliding more than flying. It will come to be easy with time.

2. If the wind is light enough, the kite will lie down, but if it does it is very hard for a beginner to recover from this face-down, leading edge toward you position. The preferred method of landing, if you are going to stake down the handles, is inverted. If the kite lays down it will be face-down, bottom tips toward you, which is fairly easy to recover from, or you can just wait until the wind stands it up again to launch. When you're going to pack it up, land inverted for breakdown.

3. With a full-vent kite you can use the 90-lb lines when the wind is 35mph with no issues, assuming the kite is a Rev1, 1.5, 2, or something similar. 150-lb lines are total overkill 99.5% of the time. You'll know when you need them once you have more experience.

To summarize, everything will become exponentially clearer and easier with experience. Hang in there. We all have done exactly the same thing. Once you have 40-ish hours on the lines you will notice improvement in your ability. Hang in there, it will come to you.

Join the KiteLife forum, if you haven't already and watch the tutorials. Often. Repeatedly. Then watch them again. I watch all of them several times a year, and I've been flying a lot for eight years.

Smile, have fun, and don't forget to breathe.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:19 AM by makatakam » Logged

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Pikman

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:20 AM »

I took my 1.5 for its maiden voyage this weekend also. I am not sure how long this kite will last with me at the controls... I had a fair few nosedives directly into the ground. I wonder if I was accidentally accelerating rather than braking, not sure that I know what my hands were doing.

I could launch, hover, land quite nicely but as soon as I started flying around the window it seemed tough to turn it. I guess maybe I need to slow the kite before making turns, as it doesn't seem to work like a 2 line, at all.
I am wondering if the issue is that I am exaggerating the movements too much - no idea just yet. More practice needed!!!

Just thought I would share my pain also Wink

HQ Delta Hawk
Prism Nexus 5 Stack
Dyna Kite 12 Stack (+ 60ft tails) - not yet flown!
Benson Deep Space (very kindly donated to help me learn some tricks!)
Ozone Little Devil 2.1
Highflyer's Club Spectre & CLub Sport (Love the Spectre!)
Flexifoil Scorpion
Highly Strung Supersport
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 04:16 AM »

Quads turn very easily by tipping the handles forward. Tip the left handle forward and it will pivot left. Tip the right handle forward and it will pivot right. The controls are very different than duals.

The kite WILL smack into the ground if you turn it around and accelerate without putting on the brakes (tip the handles back  at the same time to slow it down.)

Bob D.
makatakam

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 01:02 PM »

The kite WILL smack into the ground if you turn it around and accelerate without putting on the brakes (tip the handles back  at the same time to slow it down.)

Tip the tops of both handles FORWARD to apply brake. Tipping the tops back will make it accelerate.

If the top lines are attached to knots close to the handles it will severely limit the amount of brake you can apply. Turns are made by using brake on the side you want to turn to. Think of it as slowing down or stopping one side and letting the other fly around it. The amount of brake input you give it determines the radius of the turn. The other method you will eventually learn is to brake one side and accelerate the other, kind of the effect of a push/pull turn in dual kites. You tilt one handle back, and the other forward. Keep in mind that these inputs are much less than the input necessary with a dual. Just a little goes a long way.

You can incorporate some of the inputs used in dual line flying, but they don't do exactly the same thing with a quad. The principle is the same, but because of the quads shape and airfoil, the resulting motion is different. Not necessarily bad, just different.

To determine where to attach the top lines, do this. If you have multiple knots on the bottom lines, attach the bottom lines to the knots closest to the handles. Attach the top lines to the knots farthest from the handles. Try to launch. If you can launch you're done; fly at this setting. Can't launch, or extremely difficult? Move the top lines in one knot towards the handles and try launching again. Repeat until you can launch with a bit of effort, not just super easily. This setting will become easy to launch from with more time flying. Not only that, but you will find yourself moving those top lines even further away from the handles. Every two or three times out try moving out one more knot. When you move them out you are squaring the sail up against the wind at more of a perpendicular and using the wind more efficiently. An absolute must when flying in very low speed wind.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:30 PM by makatakam » Logged

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom