GWTW Forum
September 20, 2017, 06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some guidance  (Read 477 times)
Cheri
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 30, 2017, 01:30 AM »

I was on craigslist around 3 weeks ago looking at the Reno area for kites. Low and behold I found some for sale by one person. It turns out it is a store that sells items and dontes to a non profit. I went by out of curiosity. He had around 60-75 kites. Some new, some used. When I went by, the owner told me they were donated by the wife of a man who had passed away. He seemed to think the guy owned a kite shop in Reno at one time. If I remember correctly he probably has around 20 or more revolutions and quite a few other kites of different shapes and sizes. I told him I would find out a good place for him to sell the. Any suggestions would be much appreciated?
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 07:24 PM »

Hi Cheri,

I found the ad you mentioned on Craigslist, and view the pictures. It's a little hard to tell what all is there, but I do see some of what you saw. I have been only passingly involved in kite retail ( I was the "tech adviser" for a long closed kite store) but have active it the hobby for probably 25 years. The pictures I saw seem to be "new old stock" probably was in the garage of a kite store owner, and it all seems likely to date from the late 90's. Setting value for such things is highly subjective. So, my general subjective feeling is that sport kites (dual and quad line, steerable kites) worth maybe 50% of the original value, and ordinary single line kites maybe no more than 25%. There are exceptions to the rule, those being collectible kites(kites that for whatever reason, are still desired even though they old, i.e. iconic designs, or those made by important makers that are no longer making kites, including those who have passed on) and possibly art kites, again where the kite is important because of the maker.

A kite retailer would probably not take the whole lot on unless they were incredibly cheap, because as in any retail setting, they have to maintain space for the "new, shiny"  and the inevitable kite that saved the world!  ( that's an old kite forum reference, the next greatest kite was going to be the one we all needed, and would sacrifice everything to obtain. There is no such thing) There might be some people on this forum that might be interested, and also I would suggest over on the right column of this forum you will find a link to "Kite Classifieds", run by Charlie Whittaker. He also has an E-bay presence and has bought collections in the past. I hope I don't over-speak for you, Charlie, if you're reading this.

Good luck with your search.

Lee
Cheri
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:39 AM »

Thank you Lee.  I believe you are probably correct about the kites, having been in someone's garage etc. And you are also more then likely correct about the age of the kites.  I think the guy might have given them all up for almost nothing. I am not the type of person to take advantage of someone. I told him I would see what I could find out, I really appreciate your feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom