GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUL kite suggestions  (Read 2569 times)
Poopy_Gnome
Trade Count: (0)
« on: August 18, 2009, 02:47 PM »

I'm looking for a full sized trickable kite that can fly in lower winds (1-5mph). 

I was planning to get a Prism Quantum Pro SUL (I have a QPro std and really like it) but thought I would ask around and see what my options are in that price range.
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:19 PM »

Since you got the Standard you should get the QPRO-SUL in my opinion - the two should compliment each other nicely in your flying sessions. The only problem I have had with the QPRO-SUL is that the bridle lines coming off the center-T wear out quick probably because of the aluminum center-T fixture. As far as I know Prism as of yet has not really addressed this problem. Additionally - the lower spreader if flown too high in the wind (say 7mph or more) will splinter quite easily so get a back-up. It shows no mercy if you get lazy in needing to switch to the Standard if the wind picks up outside its advertised range. I have not flown the Fearless SUL and having said that I never flown a SUL SUPERIOR to the QPRO-SUL. Equal yes - like the SD-SUL.

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:25 PM »

If you want to save some $$ get the fearless sul and you won't ever need to buy another sul Cool

Here we go again...

"Do what you like"
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:35 PM »

Not from me ...  Grin Grin Grin

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:45 PM »

Not sure what the SULs go for - is the price range around $350?

If you like the QPro std then that likely bodes well for your liking the QPro SUL.  Depends on what you are looking to do with it.  IMO, the QPro SUL is nice, but does not go all that low wind-wise and does not like to rollup without weight (and even then not all that eagerly, but it 2 pops easily with no weight at all).  I've got friends who love theirs for precision, predictability, and speed control.

How about a Talon UL (I've never flown one, but everyone seems to like them).  Probably about the same cost and you get one of the current favorites out there.  

My favorite is the Fearless SUL, but it will cost you a bit more than the QPro.

6 kite tom
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 03:49 PM »

Ul or SUL...

The new Frank!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 04:46 PM »

im not sure about this, but what about the Cosmic TC ghost?
never flown one, but thats another option as far as a high-end kite goes.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
rxburner
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:31 PM »

If you are flying in smooth coastal winds, I would suggest the Fearless Light or the Sea Devil Ultra Light.
For inland winds go for the Fearless SUL, I like to use a 3PT lower spreader for a little more drive.
Rx
turbo23
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 11:09 PM »

The ghost is a very good kite. It will hold a very good line, and with the correct inputs will do almost anything.
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 02:08 AM »

The Quantum Pro SUL is an excellent kite. If you are enjoying the Standard, the SUL would be a nice addition to your bag.

The master of low wind kites, is Ken McNeil with Blue Moon Kites. His standards fly in UL winds, and his UL's fly in SUL winds. It is nice having a kite with the mass of a UL, to trick in low winds. The Exile and Muse are hard kites to beat for the money.

Jay
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 03:05 AM »

I second Jay's view. I have an Exile UL which replaced my QPro SUL.

The Exile UL is a true SUL and flys as low (if not lower) than the QPro SUL - and is easier to trick wrt pitch tricks.

cheers

steve
stapp59
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 06:23 PM »

I second Jay's view. I have an Exile UL which replaced my QPro SUL.

The Exile UL is a true SUL and flys as low (if not lower) than the QPro SUL - and is easier to trick wrt pitch tricks.

If you really want to see the Exile UL fly in low winds, swap out the LEs and LSs with 2pts.  Lower the bridle 1/4" from shipped position, move outer standoffs to the outer holes, and use one weight in the spine.  Try 50#x65' (or longer) lines.  Very nice is whisper winds, good feedback, tight turn radius, no oversteer.  Tricks pretty well for a 7.3 oz kite.  Will JL, etc. Be careful with groundwork, those 2pts shatter pretty easily  Roll Eyes  Over 4 use 3pt LSs and raise the bridle a little.  Over 6 put it away and fly the std.  Cool
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 03:44 AM »

I gotta try this!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 04:30 AM »

Wow, I haven't found any trouble flying my Exile UL in super-low winds as it is. OK, it takes a little footwork when the wind lulls to nothing, but once it picks back up to 1 or 2, it just flies. I only fly mine with 1 weight, didn't like it with 2. I have a set of Response 12s, I think they're close to 2 pts ? Would I notice any benefit from just switching the LS ? Or do I need to swap all 6 sticks to really see a difference ? The only kites I have that are easier to fly in next to no wind is the Ozone and the NikNak. And the Exile UL comes close to them now, should I expect it to do as well as those, but be able to trick better ? It almost has me thinking it would be considered a SSUL. Now I have to find another Exile UL to mess around with, I'm not going to mess up my Moonie...

As far as the QPro SUL... it was a waste of $$$ for me, it just sits in the closet. Lead balloon... I have a number of UL and SUL kites that I like better, an it soulds like I would like the Talon UL and DS UL better, too.

~Rob.

stapp59
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 06:25 AM »

Wow, I haven't found any trouble flying my Exile UL in super-low winds as it is. OK, it takes a little footwork when the wind lulls to nothing, but once it picks back up to 1 or 2, it just flies. I only fly mine with 1 weight, didn't like it with 2. I have a set of Response 12s, I think they're close to 2 pts ? Would I notice any benefit from just switching the LS ? Or do I need to swap all 6 sticks to really see a difference ? The only kites I have that are easier to fly in next to no wind is the Ozone and the NikNak. And the Exile UL comes close to them now, should I expect it to do as well as those, but be able to trick better ? It almost has me thinking it would be considered a SSUL. Now I have to find another Exile UL to mess around with, I'm not going to mess up my Moonie...

Good questions.  We're starting to split hairs here and this type of mod may not be worthwhile for many. 

Swapping all six sticks and using hollow ferrules will save you about an ounce which you can feel in way the kite handles.  The 2pt Exile weighs 7.3 oz, the UL 8.4 oz, and the std 10.7 ready to fly with weights and end caps.

You are absolutely correct on the ULs performance, it is powered up and flies well at 2.  The question is: is one more mph lower worth it?  You will also lose some momentum in tricks. While a 2pt Exile is a more limited kite, I really enjoy it and using the 3pt LS lets me fly it more like the UL in a little more wind.  The 2pt LSs will bend and break before the 2pt LEs in flight.

I do have an Ozone and yes the 2pt Exile will match it in low wind performance with more available tricks.  Do not have a Niknak but the Exile is not an indoor kite.

My best SUL is the Aerostar Z* at 5.6oz though weight is only part of the equation. At this weight, proper tuning, overall design, and balance make a big difference in performance.

If you cannot lower the weight by at least an ounce, changing a couple of sticks will not make a discernible difference and is not worth the effort. IMO.

Cheers,
Steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography