GWTW Forum
November 18, 2017, 12:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Rev1 Revolution  (Read 2714 times)
Hammer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 21, 2017, 07:37 PM »

I acquired  an old Revolution kite several years ago. Due to having flown only 2 line kites, and the complexity of the quad, it has been banished to it's sleeve, and the corner of the closet ever since.

This weekend, at a large model airplane  fly-in I was able to get my hands on a Revolution kite, thanks to some Revolution guys who were demoing, and selling them. I feel confident now that I will at least have some idea on how to fly it.

After some research, I have determined I have an early Rev1, with a heavy bridle with loops at the line attachment point. I also removed the line from the handles. On the winder it appears to be written, "75ft  140lb", and the end of the line has loops. The handles are also straight, not curved like the others I have seen, and used Friday.

Can I "larks head" behind the knot where the loop is tied on bridle? How are the straight handles for a beginner? Should I get curved handles? Should I sell the whole thing and get something newer, and more suitable?

Any help and other info is greatly appreciated.
Tim P.
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:19 PM »

If you're looking for one to fly, I'd sell the one you have and get a newer "ready to fly" model.  The newer one will be made with better materials and easier to fly for a quad beginner. If the older kite you have is in really good shape, the sale of it should nearly pay for the newer kite, if sold to the right collector. Or perhaps you may even find someone who would be willing to trade a newer kite and package for the older package.

Just my opinion, others may vary.  Wink
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 09:44 PM »

I enjoy my Rev 1 more than my other Revs.

Other than it being old and possibly not as durable as a newer kite, I'd say a Rev 1 would be a good first Rev.

75' 140# is a good line set for windy days. I would get proper handles, though.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Hammer

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:49 AM »

Can I attach the lines witb a larks head behind tbe loop's knot, or should I get some type of swivel?
Pikman

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:22 AM »

My advice - start with super slow movements. I managed to accelerate mine into the ground a few times already. Crazy how my mind simply melted with the controls inverted... Smiley

They are fun though, feels like I discovered a whole new dimension!

HQ Delta Hawk
Prism Nexus 5 Stack
Dyna Kite 12 Stack (+ 60ft tails) - not yet flown!
Benson Deep Space (very kindly donated to help me learn some tricks!)
Ozone Little Devil 2.1
Highflyer's Club Spectre & CLub Sport (Love the Spectre!)
Flexifoil Scorpion
Highly Strung Supersport
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:35 AM »

Yes, larkshead the lines on

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikeb
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 02:23 PM »

I can't comment about straight handles, but would like to know how long your handles are so I can try flying with 2 sticks the same length, I've only known curved handles, yours aren't from Rev.

Before you do anything with larksheads you will need to check the length of the lines, you could have 2 different lengths, longer for the top and shorter for the bottom. If so you can attach pigtails to each of the loops on the bridle that are made of equal length bridle line.

However, if your 75' lines are equal length then you will need to make the top pigtails on the kite 8" or so longer than the bottom pigtails.

If you do have 2 different length lines roughly 8" difference, swivel clips would be the quickest way of getting it to fly, but I still wouldn't know about flying with straight handles until I try it and can give that type of advice.

You could buy a new Rev1 bridle for $12 and a pair of Chinese 14" handles for $15, then use the old bridle for all the handle leaders you'll ever need, but by getting a new bridle you will need to equalize your lines so all 4 lines are the same length.

Are the 4 lines you have now all the same length? Probably not.
What is it like to fly a rev with straight handles? Who the heck knows?
What is the least amount of swivel clips needed to attach 4 lines to 8 connection points?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:16 AM by mikeb » Logged
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 05:17 PM »

I would not use swivels.  They are heavy and clunky and will just get into the way when you fly and will reduce performance of your kite.  If all four lines are the same length then you should be fine with them and your bridle should be the newer version.

Very early versions of the Rev 1 had a different bridle and handle setup that required two different pairs of different lengths for your lines.  If you have the top lines and bottom lines different lengths (appx 8 inches difference between the pairs) then I would highly recommend getting a new bridle and then equalizing your lines so they are all the same length.  The new bridle with equal lines flies a lot better.

As for handles, all Revolution kites came with curved handles, if yours are straight then they are not OEM handles.  I would suggest getting a factory set of 13" handles for your kite.  The curved handles gives proper flying angle for the kite.  Without this then it is extremely difficult to get the Rev off the ground and to control it properly.  OEM Rev handles cost about 40 bucks.  Bridles are about 12 bucks.

The Rev 1 is perfectly fine to learn on and may actually be a little easier as it is a little slower than the 1.5 series kites and has better float.  It also flies a bit better in the lighter winds (depending on the frame selection).  I enjoy flying the Rev 1, it is very smooth and looks great in the air.

Hope this helps.

makatakam

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 07:46 PM »

The other option is to put extensions on the bridle if the lines are of equal length and you have the old-style bridle. Just add about 8 inches to the bottom attachment points.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
bt
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 10:40 PM »

Seriously....don't sell or trade the 1 for a newer Rev as you'll more than likely be buying another one or three Revs anyway if you really get the bug. There's a bunch of us with double digit Rev collections.....
I've always loved the bigger sail(s) of the 1's, Zen, and  Robertshaw's and the multiple frame options.
One thing you may want to try is 15 " handles rather than 13" handles....especially for light wind flying as it just so happens the 1 series et al size is quite good at.....
bt

Hammer

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 05:47 AM »

Thanks for all tbe great info!

I will check my line lengths, and snap a pic of the handles. The handles have a few knots on the lines attached so I could use a larks head on the handle end, and would require 4 swivels on the bridle end. Adding pigtails to the loops on the bridle is also a good option. I'm not sure about replacing the bridle myself as I'm not sure if I'm up to that without creating more problems.

I hauve already seen the Chinese cheap handles, and will probably get some from ebay.

Handle has "Scott" printed on top.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:49 AM by Hammer » Logged
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 05:58 AM »

whoa..someone made their own out of a ski pole...nice.....they might be comfy to fly with but the bent handles will help for a rev style kite....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 06:50 AM »

Now that's an interesting idea . . . . and they even look like they might even be snagless ski pole handles.  A little bit of time with a tubing or conduit bender, and they might just work as Rev handles.  I think I will have to go to the garage to see what I have in the old ski pole department.  Next up after that, golf club handles. In my case, it will be for the LOLs, but all of my Rev flying is on "regular" handles.  I agree with everyone else that you should get the proper handles. 

In addition, you should keep the Rev 1, replace the bridle (it's not that hard as the ends are just looped thru the caps), and keep on flying. 
makatakam

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 09:09 AM »

Hammer, meet with an experienced flyer for a day of fun and flying and discussion before you do anything. You are working with too many variables here which will make learning difficult at best, or miserable at worst. The handles, the possible line inequality, and the bridle set-up may make the kite impossible to launch, let alone fly. I urge you to have someone who is familiar with quadline kites check out your kite and equipment.

Kite flyers are a friendly bunch, and actually enjoy helping those just starting out. Post up your location so someone near you can chime in.

Kite flying should not include tears.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:14 AM by makatakam » Logged

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
mikeb
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 10:21 AM »

Actually with the knots on the handles you don't even need swivel clips.
If your 4 lines are 2 different lengths you can start flying right now with what you have, but the lines need to be 8" or longer on the top. I'm sure they are different lengths if you got this setup as 1 bundle/package.
By connecting loop through loop and walking to and from the kite a few times, you can be ready to fly in 10 minutes or so.

As I flew the other day I was thinking of the straight handles and would see not much difference in flying with 15" handles or 13" straight handles/poles/sticks.

The larksheads or swivel clips are great for speed of setup and takedown, but if you have all the time in the world larksheads and swivel clips shouldn't much matter.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom