GWTW Forum
September 20, 2017, 02:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best indoor 2 line kite  (Read 1220 times)
mrgif1
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 23, 2017, 12:33 PM »

Happy Tuesday everyone! 

So I'm pretty new to this whole kite flying business.  Our (awesome) kite club here locally puts on several indoor kite flys each year.  It is amazing to me that you can fly kites inside with no wind!

At the last indoor fly a random really nice stranger taught me to fly a two line indoor kite.  I wanted to summon the collective genius of this group to help provide me insight to the best indoor two line kites out there and why you feel they are the best.

I searched to see if this had come up before but this specific topic hasn't really come up.

Thanks in advance!

Bill
tpatter
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:47 PM »

2 masters here in the northwest both fly the iTrix which is an amazingly trickable indoor kite!

I think most flyers would it frustrating however - even those with experience.  I would go for either a Wren (Pro Wren) or sky burners iNak

6 kite tom
coop
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 12:55 PM »

Good to see Ive got ya hooked Bill!
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 01:59 PM »

I LOVE the PI from HQ. a good size to work with and get familiar with all of the movements needed...

Bigger indoor kites: usually slower...probably need more movement to counteract the weight of the kite....need a bigger area....

Smaller kite: faster, less movement..smaller areas.....lighter weight....usually more durable as the rods can be solid carbon....

Personally for dual line indoors i like the PI and the HQ Geenie....If i could find a reasonable Amazing (original mylarish one) that would be my next choice...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Frazer
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 02:49 PM »

This is what you want - Into The Wind "Echo" design by Paul de Bakker who knows a thing or 6 about indoor kites

http://intothewind.com/Item--i-7230

-Frazer
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:55 PM »

Hmmmm....deBakker you say...... Isn't his name printed on the original amazing?Huh Wink

Frazer
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:06 PM »

Hmmmm....deBakker you say...... Isn't his name printed on the original amazing?Huh Wink
Yes, indeed ... but can you find that kite for sale in the US ?

-Frazer
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 03:30 PM »

Ill 2nd the echo.  Ive got an original focus kites echo and love it for no wind days.  Another one that is over looked for indoor/no wind is the pro dancer sul but it's a bigger kite and not very trick friendly.  On the cheaper side you have the prism 4d or the inak.  Pro wrens are hard to find since they aren't making them anymore but I know the designer still has the templates and might be making some again from what he posted on FB not too long ago.  There is also a Prism 3d in the swap that is an older indoor kite.
tpatter

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:51 PM »

Great thread - I've also got to change my original post and recommend the Echo.

I don't own one, but flew one at the last indoor festival I attended a few years ago and was super impressed.

6 kite tom
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 05:00 PM »

I have to recommend the Wren as a first indoor dual line.
@

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:02 PM by cerfvoliste » Logged

Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+41)

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 09:02 PM »

If the Indoor Wren were in production I'd recommend it highly for a first indoor kite. I've tried probably 2 dozen indoor dual lines, and the Indoor Wren (not to be confused with the larger, heavier Pro Wren) is the easiest to fly  (and fly well) for starters. It's a lot bigger than the little 3D, X4i, iNak & Pi type of kites which makes for smoother flying.

If you can find a used one, go for it.

I also have heard good things about the Echo, but it wasn't around when I was flying indoor or I would have tried it. A good deal. Also not too small.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 04:02 AM »

Itw dropped the wren?

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 10:21 AM »

I'll revive this and second the Inak, then Echo, and finally Wren/Pro Wren. Another one it would recommend is the benson Innerspace and A'atelier double Zero if you can get your hands on one. Additionally, I'm not trying to show a bias, but if Jon or Steve can make you a 4oz aura sail, those do very well indoors and are extremely capable. I never got along with the Itrix at all. Another one to look into might be the Wolf Seibert Sweety.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mrgif1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 08:56 PM »

Thank you everyone for your input!  I was keeping up but then got away from the forum for a while! 

I suppose the next question is who has one of these recommendations they want to sell to a noob?

Thanks,
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom