GWTW Forum
November 18, 2017, 04:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New guy saying hi.  (Read 2453 times)
Justin2kites
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 17, 2017, 05:40 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm Justin. I live a little north of Houston, Texas. I'm pretty new to stunt kiting. I got my first "real" kite, a Prism Quantum in Lime, about a year and a half ago, but have only recently really started to get into it. I definitely got the bug. In the past few months I have been flying as much as possible, and have acquired quite a few kites and accessories. I'm still learning the basics at this point and mainly practicing takeoffs, landings and stalls. I was almost doing slides the other day, but couldn't quite hold it. The same day I also got my kite to lay on it's back for the first time and was able to roll it up once, but couldn't do it again to save my life. lol.. Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I've been lurking here for a while, so I figured it was time to post up, and I have some questions I was hoping y'all could help me with in the near future.

Here's a pic my sister took of me flying my Prism Quantum with the 20ft tube tail at the park. Smiley

bt
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 10:28 PM »

Well welcome Justin!
Looks like you have a nice flying spot....
As you said if you've been here a bit ya can ask pretty well anything about our passion laden pastime and someone will offer up something....
Here's one for you...what other kites do you have?
bt
Pikman

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:49 AM »

Hey, welcome!! I feel pretty new here also, mainly because I still struggle with the more advanced stunts of kites Smiley

Saying that, I've been flying them for nearly 25 years. Wow, I need to pull my finger out and get better!

HQ Delta Hawk
Prism Nexus 5 Stack
Dyna Kite 12 Stack (+ 60ft tails) - not yet flown!
Benson Deep Space (very kindly donated to help me learn some tricks!)
Ozone Little Devil 2.1
Highflyer's Club Spectre & CLub Sport (Love the Spectre!)
Flexifoil Scorpion
Highly Strung Supersport
makatakam

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:37 AM »

Hi, Justin, and welcome to the forum.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 11:44 AM »

Welcome to the Forum. New blood is always welcome.  Smiley

Your trick progression is commendable.

Enjoy the journey. The destination is ever changing

and that's a good thing.

DD
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:39 PM »

Welcome Justin. Where you at? you might be close to someone to try out some more kites!

Sine Metu!
Justin2kites

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 08:54 PM »

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! Smiley
Justin2kites

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:38 PM »

Well welcome Justin!
Looks like you have a nice flying spot....
As you said if you've been here a bit ya can ask pretty well anything about our passion laden pastime and someone will offer up something....
Here's one for you...what other kites do you have?
bt

That is a pretty good flying spot, but I probably won't be going there anymore. It's near my sisters house, but she's moving this week, so I probably won't be going out that way much anymore. There's also an airport right next to it. A very small airport with very little traffic, but still... I do most of my flying in a park near my house. It's not the best flying conditions, but it's close to home and easy to get some flights in when I have some time to spare. I've got my eye out for a sweet flying spot, though.

Here are the kites I have. Mostly Prisms so far.
-Prism Quantum
-Prism Jazz
-Prism Hypnotist
-Prism E2
-Prism Micron
-Prism 3D
-Prism 4D
-Prism Snapshot 1.4
-New Tech BLK

Also a few that I'm not 100% sure what they are. This is actually one of the questions I wanted to ask y'all, but I don't have any pics at the moment. I got them used and haven't been able to figure out exactly which models they are.
-Catch The Wind, I was told it's a beetle, but from what I can Google that doesn't seem right.
-Spectra Sport Kites, was told Reactor, but again, from what I can Google that doesn't seem right.
-And a small (about the same as the Micron, but with a heavier frame) yellow kite that just says "Try" on it. I haven't found any info on this.

I haven't even flown all of them yet. Partly just because I haven't had the time, but also because I'm trying to work my way up to the more advanced ones. I fly the Quantum and the 4D the most lately. I also have a Sky Dogs bag and a few tails.
Justin2kites

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 09:40 PM »

Welcome Justin. Where you at? you might be close to someone to try out some more kites!

I'm in Magnolia. Old Magnolia, if you know the area.
makatakam

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 10:21 AM »

Play with your E2 some more. You will get to really like that one if you spend some time on it, and no the E3 is not a great improvement on the E2. If you get another Prism and you like low wind flying check out the Zephyr. Try before you buy if possible.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 04:50 AM »

I'm in Magnolia. Old Magnolia, if you know the area.

We pass through there on the way to RenFest.

There's a Houston-area kite club called S.H.A.R.K. (you can find us on FB).  It just so happens that we're having an indoor FunFly in your neck of the woods.

15 July at 13:00 at Whispering Pines Baptist Church.  Come on and join us!
We have various kites/gliders you can fly, and Dave Bacque will be teaching us to build a Borelli Glider (as a reprise of the Junction class).

Spence
Justin2kites

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 09:52 PM »

Hi Guys. Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

Makatakam, thanks for the advice. I think I will give the E2 a try asap. I have heard good things about the Zephyr and almost bought one, but to be honest I just don't like the looks of it. I think I may try a different brand on the next one, too. I've been spending some time in the swap meet.... must... resist.... Cheesy

Spence602, thanks for the invite! I don't know if I will be able to make it, but I will definitely keep it in mind. I will check out SHARK on facebook. Thanks! Smiley
makatakam

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 02:50 PM »

Spending time on the field with experienced pilots will shave years off your learning curve -- seriously. What would take you two years on your own you'll pick up in two months with a bit of guidance, especially with dual line kites. If there is anyone flying anywhere near you join them. You won't regret it. Kite flyers are a friendly bunch and we don't bite.

MARK

Justin2kites

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 07:47 AM »

Spending time on the field with experienced pilots will shave years off your learning curve -- seriously. What would take you two years on your own you'll pick up in two months with a bit of guidance, especially with dual line kites. If there is anyone flying anywhere near you join them. You won't regret it. Kite flyers are a friendly bunch and we don't bite.

I completely believe that. I look forward to flying with some experienced pilots eventually. Unfortunately due to work (just started a new job), etc., I don't have a lot of free time right now. Things should calm down soon, though, and I will have more time to do those things.

Thanks again for the advice! Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 04:37 PM »

There are many excellent sport kites.

You should choose one that looks great to you.

Almost all high-end kites are better than 99% of the pilots.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom