GWTW Forum
December 15, 2018, 02:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lifting Kites and vertical pull.  (Read 2004 times)
r3dw0rm
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 30, 2017, 01:21 PM »

Hello,

I was flying my power sled yesterday and for the 3rd time now it seems like it pulls away almost as much as it pulls up most of the time.  I'm still very new at this so I'm wondering if there is maybe a change I can make to the bridle to make it fly differently. 

I'm also wondering what some of the best types of kites are for lifting that don't pull away so much?
I'm currently looking at some large deltas as well as a few Conyne kites for starters.  The Cody's are way too expensive for now as are the Doperos if I could find them.  I'd like to eventually try to build a Rokkaku some day so I'd kind of like to stay away from that design for now.

The main thing I'm looking for is a predominately vertical pulling stable lifter to pull up ham radio antennas and maybe a small KAP rig someday.

Here is a pic from yesterdays session.  I had the Sled tied down and got to play a bit with the EO Atom.  Was alot of fun!
20170629_182127 by r3dw0rm, on Flickr

skb
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:39 PM »

A large Genki will fly nearly overhead, often used for KAP.
https://vimeo.com/15929614

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
makatakam

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:31 PM »

If you are not familiar with aerodynamics read an introductory book on the subject. One thing that you will learn is that all the forces that create lift in any given airfoil (yes, a kite is a type of airfoil) must be considered to achieve a desired effect, and are parasitically interrelated. In other words they affect each other in such a way that any change in one of them will cause a proportional change in the others. For instance, if you change the positioning of the bridle so that the kite flies more overhead, depending on the kite design, you may actually decrease the amount of pull (lift) and also the amount of drag, which will decrease stability. It is a compromise among the forces acting on the airfoil. So, if the kite is not designed as a "lifter" it may not handle the load, even if it seems like it pulls enough to do it. Adding a load can change the angle of attack just by being there and significantly reduce the kite's lifting ability. Some kites will handle the load properly, others won't even if it seems like they should. The load you want to lift will determine the size and type of kite that is suited to that purpose. I'm not really into KAP, but I know that an unstable platform will make it more difficult to get the results you want. Also, the load itself may cause enough additional drag by itself so that the kite may not fly as much overhead as when unencumbered. The length of the flying line affects where the kite will position itself, as the more line you pay out, the more weight the kite has to lift, and the line also creates drag which will move the kite out away from vertical.

I'm sure that a few others will chime in with recommendations for what you want to do. 

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
coogee

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 04:24 PM »

A Fled is an easy build with good flying characteristics for KAP.

Mike
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 04:36 PM »

You must have heard of Marconi...... His antenna lifters are available in new construction!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom