GWTW Forum
July 25, 2017, 03:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Gold Pro... Better Choices for Dual/Quad Flying  (Read 1200 times)
OCPablo
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: July 09, 2017, 01:33 PM »

So I recently pick up a spool of 90# and 50# built line to make me some new line  ???sets.  I have completed one of each, and noticed that the new stuff is NOWHERE near as smooth as the stuff I have in my bag that is over 10 years old!

I am not sure what happened to the braid on today's LPG, but I put 3 or 4 winds into a line set and the friction is horrible.  I made sure I have Laser Gold PRO... but just looking at the 90# new stuff vs the stuff I have that is a decade older, you can see the braid of today's version is nowhere near as smooth.  I was hoping that after some solid flying and getting the lines 'set' it would get better. If anything, it is even more pronounced.

So... for those flying on a team, what do you use?  (Then again, is anyone experiencing the same issue with todays LGP?)

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
riffclown
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:45 PM »

First, I use Skybond which is the slickest lines I've ever used..

Did you get your LPG from a reputable dealer?? LPG is usually pretty slick and smooth from my experiences..
OCPablo

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:30 PM »

I would think so, I have gotten it from two separate retailers... both of which have been in the game for a long period of time.

I'm telling ya, it is a HUGE difference with 4 or 5 wraps on a set.  Sucks.

I'll try Skybond.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 12:10 AM »

SkyBond is much slicker - no question about it.  Nothing else I've tried even comes close.

LPG is still my favorite for dual line for 2 reasons - it lasts far longer and it also has a bit less stretch.   I've flown sets of LPG for several seasons, but my SB would randomly snap after a few months. 

Maybe it is our overly intense Seattle sun in the Summer as I noticed that the SkyBond would lose its color intensity (of yellow) and then break at some point after that.  I went through an entire spool in one season and I fly mostly on grass (maybe this was the problem?)

The stretch was much less of an issue, I just felt more connected to the kite when hitting it hard with LPG, but they are both good. 

Happy line hunting and keep us informed!  Smiley

6 kite tom
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:16 AM »

SkyBond is much slicker - no question about it.  Nothing else I've tried even comes close.

LPG is still my favorite for dual line for 2 reasons - it lasts far longer and it also has a bit less stretch.   I've flown sets of LPG for several seasons, but my SB would randomly snap after a few months. 

Maybe it is our overly intense Seattle sun in the Summer as I noticed that the SkyBond would lose its color intensity (of yellow) and then break at some point after that.  I went through an entire spool in one season and I fly mostly on grass (maybe this was the problem?)

The stretch was much less of an issue, I just felt more connected to the kite when hitting it hard with LPG, but they are both good. 

Happy line hunting and keep us informed!  Smiley

That sound like SkyBond is really sensitive to UV light........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Otherone
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:53 AM »

Paul, I have been using the LPG 90 for my sets for the past couple years. I did notice on the last spool that there were some bumps in the lines from the coating about every 20 meters but have not noticed the problem you are talking about. I do try to try to trick in opposing directions as much as I can to work on my non-dominant left hand. So maybe I don't wrap the lines as much as you do and haven't noticed the problem. All so wanted to let you know I finished your Kite bag so let me know when you will be down in San Diego next time. I will be around a lot in August. I am on the road for work until the end of July.

Fly Em High!
coop

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:31 AM »

I have become very disappointed with LPG over the past few years. Not only have I had the friction issue mentioned, but the cost is getting WAY to high. Ive been using Climax Protec for the past few months and been very pleased with it. Its super slick, doesnt have any stretch that Ive seen so far,  and half the price of LPG.
OCPablo

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24 AM »

Willing to try another brand, but where are you getting it from?

OCPablo

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 09:28 AM »

Paul, I have been using the LPG 90 for my sets for the past couple years. I did notice on the last spool that there were some bumps in the lines from the coating about every 20 meters but have not noticed the problem you are talking about. I do try to try to trick in opposing directions as much as I can to work on my non-dominant left hand. So maybe I don't wrap the lines as much as you do and haven't noticed the problem. All so wanted to let you know I finished your Kite bag so let me know when you will be down in San Diego next time. I will be around a lot in August. I am on the road for work until the end of July.

Yeah, were talking maybe 4 or 5 wraps especially on my Rev or when doing multiple backspins.  It's just something I have noticed.  Just out of curiosity I pulled out a piece of old LGP that has to be a decade old and look at it compared to the new stuff and there is a physical braid difference.

I am actually down in the area this week, and then on the road for the next 4.  I'll hit you up mid-August!

DD
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 10:08 AM »

I bought skybond from Kent at wind of change--------->
I was never a fan of lpg, I had better luck with the shanti brand.
Where is anyone getting climax in the states? I actually may have some and not realize that is what it is.

On a related question, guys that fly teams, do you find that certain line makes dont mix well?

Sine Metu!
riffclown
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 01:22 PM »

Where is anyone getting climax in the states? I actually may have some and not realize that is what it is.

On a related question, guys that fly teams, do you find that certain line makes dont mix well?

I don't fly team, but Blendline and many dyneema lines will cut LPG and Skybond like a razor blade.. From my brief experience, LPG and Skybond seem to mix well with each other but adding anything else to the mix can cause issues for other pilots..
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 03:45 AM »

it is best not to mix lines, between Skybond and LPG on the team flying, but more important is everyone knowing if their lines need to be replaced or not flown in a team environment any longer.

One person's "old lines" will bring the whole mess of us down to the ground, if you get too far apart or wrapped significantly.
You can feel old lines starting to bind, eventually a total loss of control unless we move to undue those wraps quickly.

I probably replace 50# lines three times a year (used much more often) and 100# at least twice based upon flying ten hours per week, usually alone.

I use Skybond now exclusively, thinner, way more slippery, more durable too.  No sleeving either (tie a stopper knot into the strand before forming the loop)  Use figure-of-eight knots so they can't slip or move to make the loops.  They tighten in both directions and the center is four thicknesses of line.  Make bigger sized loops, as you might need to make minor adjustments later on and only the longer loops can be shortened to equalize lines.

Older lines are cut down to shorter and shorter lengths for flailing, street and eventually to indoor lengths, then they are re-crafted into magic stick truss lines.
coop

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 07:04 AM »

I can PM you where I get Climax. Its not the states, but in the UK. But even after shipping they are quite a bit cheaper than LPG.
OCPablo

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 12:58 AM »

I can PM you where I get Climax. Its not the states, but in the UK. But even after shipping they are quite a bit cheaper than LPG.

That would be great!

Hadge
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 05:13 AM »

I've used Climax Protec for several years it's great stuff! Very slippy - 20 + wraps with no binding even on old lines, long lasting, one of my sets is at least 5-6 years old and still good, very very little stretch and I've only ever had one breakage at the tow point knot. Highly recommended. Oh and the winder has a built in equalizer and nock remover.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom