GWTW Forum
October 23, 2017, 10:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parafoil from China.  (Read 2015 times)
KaoS
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 05:19 PM »

I question if you dont start modding the sail shape itself along with the bridle

I suspect the airfoil profile is the problem.  Bobbing will occur if there is irregular airflow over the rear of the top surface.  When there is low air pressure above it, that part of the wing rises.  But if the momentum of that rising motion lifts that part of the wing too high, there is no longer a low pressure area above that section of the wing, so it drops.

Repeat as above!

A larger version won't bob as much - the mass of air inside the parafoil is more difficult to shift up and down in such a hurry.

A long fuzzy tail will damp down the oscillations.  This is a bit like trying to flick a length of rope back and forth- easy to do with a short rope, more effort required with a long rope

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
pompebled
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 02:54 PM »

In the meantime, I also ordered the slightly larger version Jim flies in his video.
Should be nice as comparison material.

Well, the larger version arrived quite late in the year, summer overhere is over and I only got to fly the new kite in between terrible weather, rain an way too much wind.

This first outing, in light conditions, with and without tails, showed a similar flight charactaristic as the one in Jims video in the OP, so no surprises there.
The pull is very moderate and even with two tails, the kite flies overhead at a very steep angle when the wind picks up.
The larger kite with the single bridle row can be flewn on a lighter line than the smaller one with the adapted bridle, which has more pull (which is a no brainer, the cause is the second bridle row, preventing the kite from leveling out like the single row one does).

Like the smaller one, this kite will also benefit from a longer bridle, as the stock one tends to pull the outside cells in too much, making them colaps in low wind conditions when starting the kite from hand on a short line.

I did fly the smaller one quite a lot this summer and when there's sufficient (constant) wind, it's glued to the sky, despite the less than perfect shape on top.
Adding a third row of bridle will be done this winter.

Regards, Jan.

Kiteflyers are nice people.
pompebled
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 01:21 PM »

With a little luck, the weather will be better coming weekend, so maybe I can go testing with the longer bridle I made on the larger parafoil and take some pictures.
Wind should be about 3Bft, which is more than sufficient for these kites.

After all the rain we had, a pair of rubber boots will be mandatory, the field I usually fly, lies pretty low...

Regards, Jan.

Kiteflyers are nice people.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom