GWTW Forum
September 20, 2017, 02:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old and new: what do you miss?  (Read 1013 times)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« on: July 14, 2017, 06:04 AM »

Figured I'd start a little talk here.
Finally getting back into kiting now that I have some time.. looking back:

Growing up with the sport since I was 4 (now 25), through buying/selling/saving, Ive owned almost every kite in the Prism, Skyburner, Blue Moon, Childs, and HQ/Eolo/SOA (until about 2001) lines, respectively, along with many others.

This got me thinking... what are kites, through the evolution of a line, that you'd love to see brought back, or some sentimental favorites? We all know Prism is releasing the Vapor, but what else? From any lines. Lets dig deep, pilots.

For me....
Prism: Eclipse SUL/, Total, and Flashlight. Nothing was as gratifying to me as a ride with the Eclipse, or the fast flatspins the Flashlight could pull off in winds up to 6 or so. This kite always out performed to Ozone to me. As for the Eclipse/TE-- stunning graphics and large wing sections always looked so dynamic to me. Found the kite to be way ahead of its time and a general joy to fly, plain and simple.

HQ: I love the Tramontana line, but I'd love to have another Jam UL just for the color's sake. For a 'wall kite,' I'd love to get my hands on an old Passion again.

SOA: Shrunken Omega. Loved the pull.

Eolo: Freestyle. This was was always so fun to knock around.

BMK: Mojo UL. Need we say more?

Childs: Mosaic. First kite I really started to take flying seriously with.

Skyburner: Going quite a ways back here, but I loved the Tika with every fiber of my being. Im fortunate enough to own two still, but would love another. My 'go to' for an old school day. I cringe at the day when these two kites become 'unflyable.'

How about you all?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:05 AM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:15 AM »

you need to pick up some more UK makers there Wink

Kite wise there are many designs that were readily available years ago, but for the mass market were dropped.......

But..i really miss the interaction with people more....the community was bigger and more involved and supported.......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DD
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:31 AM »

I have most of my older kites that I would want to fly still. Wink I would like to see a hybrid of some of the older designs but with different framing. I was very intrigued by Allen's remake of the vapor with a different sail material a well.
Can you imagine a modern take on stranger level 7? Huh

Sine Metu!
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:53 AM »

Unfortunately down to one now (from a trick kiting perspective): Tim Benson, but some great kites out of the UK in the 10 years I have been flying:

Carl Robertshaw:  Fury & Fury .85
Jest of Eve:  Talon
and then Tim's kites all of which are worth a place in the hall of fame.  I haven't flown most of the early ones, but I cut my trick kiting teeth on the Gemini and Deep Space.  Really great kites of their time.  The Goff/Benson creations are a bit more cutting edge, but the SuperFly and SuperNova are worthy successors to the earlier designs.
Frazer
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 10:29 AM »

RonG, Smithcreek, Herbalizer ....

-Frazer
DD
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 11:17 AM »

RonG, Smithcreek, Herbalizer ....

-Frazer

always wanted to fly a machine

Sine Metu!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 12:28 PM »

Funny you mention that. I picked up another Solus UL in all mylar, and my Supernova should be here within a week. Tim just shipped it yesterday.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 07:03 PM »

I stumbled across the Prism site and was surprised to see the return of the Vapor!!! I was very interested until I saw the price tag. Damn! I did grab the Quantum though. Mainly because I like the color scheme.

When I landed in Seattle, I took out a dually(Spectra Wings Rocket) that was my first kite (still have ) I had bought about 10 yrs prior just because one day the winds were up and it hit me! Just the sound alone from this thing makes it loads of fun to fly.

That turned into finding Prism being in Seattle and the bug began. One after another I came across a Prism and pretty much got all the original Seattle made versions. From there came Revolution kites and then power kites.

I do favor the larger wingspan of the older Prism kites.

Too bad the forum went south and they outsourced everything. Quality control is mediocre.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:05 PM by socalman320 » Logged
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 07:56 PM »

I've been out of kiting a while (with occasional dabblings to ensure I don't forget how to fly), but am trying to get back out more often.

But as to great kites that I would love to see hit the market:

Paul Shirey's Sano SS. I have an SS, an SSL, and an SSL+.  With the shape shifter standoffs, these were so adaptable to the winds, and a good bit, to flying styles.

And I think the Shanti Skywave is quite good for not being a "high level" kite.  Very precise for a $125 (new) kite, and had a few old-school tricks thrown in as well.  It was my first "modern" stunt kite, and I've kept going back to it, especially when the wind is a bit high for easy tricking.

Steady winds, y'all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom