GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 09:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC motor project help needed  (Read 1319 times)
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: August 21, 2009, 11:16 PM »

I need some suggestions on how to set up 10 dc motors.  Here is the application:  I want using them to wind threads into string.  I have been using a 1000 rpm drill, but doing one at a time at that speed is a chore.  The problem is I'd like to use the cheap $3-4 dc motors, but have limited knowledge (read next to none) of what kind of power supply & controler is required for setting them up and what general range of motor would do the job.  I assume the application would be a relatively low load job - spinning a hook and the string with a little tension on it.  Also, whether parallel or series wiring would be recommended for the job.  I am looking to do it on the cheap if it's possible.

I imagine flipping a switch watching it spin away for 10 - 20 seconds at roughly 2,000-5,000 rpm and turning it off.

I've done some searching, but there are so many directions and topics that I'm not really getting anywhere and the electrical/motor forums are way over my head.

Matt
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 11:27 PM »

Parallel wired for sure, you would get a power drop through each motor if wired in series. For a speed control your looking for either a variable resistance circuit or better an electronic control called a PCM circuit IIRC. You can find details for the circuit on the web but maybe somebody here can help you find or design a simple one.

oh that pcm curcuit was for a speed control that I needed to vary by a pulsed input, you should just need a variable power supply.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:45 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 07:55 AM »

How about using several sewing machine motors (ac) and a foot controller instead?  The sewing machines show up for free on Craigslist and Freecycle all the time.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:01 AM »

if you are not sold on the motors you are talking about i would look in to the rc world we used small variable speed devices to break in the brushes of are race motors. 110 is easier to control though

have fun kurt
Harrier

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:10 PM »

Seems a complicated way to control many lines at once, how about the 1 motor driving multiple heads via  toothed belts.
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:52 PM »

Seems a complicated way to control many lines at once, how about the 1 motor driving multiple heads via  toothed belts.
I like this idea for the consistency of rotation of the various heads.  Can you give some suggestions as to the basics needed for the setup at the 2,000+ rpm speed range?  I could easily get a sewing machine motor as Turkey9186 points out.  I'd have to have some way to hold and connect the pulleys to the hooks.  Could the pulleys work if they were in a row with the belt going over the top and bottom in a straight line, or does the belt need more to grab on to?  If it's not too expensive for all the parts, this might be just what I need.

Thanks everyone for the input so far.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 02:54 PM by MB » Logged

Matt
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:35 PM »

I like the one motor / multi drive idea but if your wrapping line don't all the hooks have to spin the same direction? If so the over/under idea wouldn't work. We had a machine to twist fibers into rope in Boy Scouts and I think thats how it worked, it was only a 3 or 4 strand setup though that you feed that cheap single strand sisal twine for nursury use into to make a heavier rope. Gears would be ideal but that moves it away from the build it yourself realm.

If you could one large stationary gear with say 200 teeth, your 10 hooks mounted on a rotating outer ring driven by your motor with say 10 teeth running on that stationary gear, that would twist the induvidual lines at a 20 to 1 ratio and follow the twist of the finished line as it was being layed down. Or would you need an outer stationary gear toothed on the inside for proper rotation? I'd have to twist a few strings to get the two rotations needed.

You would need a good machinist friend though.

If your not twisting too tight a full circle belt around 10 pulleys might work, a toothed belt and pulleys would definately work.

Rubber wheels on the ten shafts running againt a stationary hub as the geared example above might work also if your torque requirments are not too high, that's in the realm of do it yourself.

sorry rambling out loud, been in the drivers seat for 27 straight hours  Roll Eyes

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document