GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 11:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rubber Tips on Standoffs Fall Off  (Read 1801 times)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: August 22, 2009, 04:48 PM »

Finally received my HQ Shadow based on recommendations by the forum.  This past week when the Quantum kept stalling the Shadow was very mobile and took to the light winds nicely.  My problem is the rubber tips on the standoffs keep getting stuck in the rubber fittings on the lower spreaders.  I initially thought the two inner ones did not have them while the outer ones did have the tips.  Now there is only one of the four with the tip.  The remaining three are in the spreader fittings.

Should I glue the standoff fittings in place or put some sort of lubricant in the fittings on the lower spreader?  If glue is the answer any type?

Thanks,

Tom
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:19 PM »

Glue them with CA glue (super glue).

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 05:20 PM »

Use CA to glue the end caps to the stand offs. A gap filling CA will last longer.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 05:47 PM »

A little sanding (roughen up) goes a long way also.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:43 PM »

squeeze the rubber cap  flat in your fingers and put a drop of glue (your choice of the fine recommendations above) on the opening....
when you release your fingers the cap will draw the glue into it.....
then slide it onto the end of the standoff.....
good to go and bobs your uncle....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 07:01 PM »

Tom,

Both of my Shadows has the same issue - I just put a dab of zap-a-gap on the head of the standoff and then slid the end onto it.  It will not come off after that.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 01:37 PM »

Took the Shadow out today and the glued caps stayed in place.  Thanks for the info.
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 03:47 PM »

My problem is the rubber tips on the standoffs keep getting stuck in the rubber fittings on the lower spreaders.  I initially thought the two inner ones did not have them while the outer ones did have the tips.  Now there is only one of the four with the tip.  The remaining three are in the spreader fittings.
So if you break a standoff, you have only to replace the rod and you can use again the vinyl endcap.  Wink
Moe

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 07:17 PM »

My suggestion: put the caps on the standoffs, *then* glue them on with a drop of CA.  The glue will flow around the base of the cap, holding it securely in place, without gluing the entire thing on.

So if you break a standoff, you can re-use the end cap by running an X-acto just above the glue an popping it off.  (having done this a couple of times myself...)

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:23 AM »

My Shadow has the same problem with the caps, but I never did anything about it. The caps are still in the spreader fittings. I guess they might provide some protection to the sail when the kite is wrapped up in the sleeve ? I have other kites that were specifically made without caps on the standoffs (Nebulas), so I never thought it was that big of a deal.
Also, is breaking a standoff that common of a thing ? I am an expert kite breaker and I can't think that I've ever broken a standoff... lost them, yes.... broke them, no.

~Rob.

iwannafly

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:31 AM »

Its funny I should read this thread this morning. Cheesy

The exact same thing happened to my Quantum yesterday. Sad

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering what the best way to fix it was.
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:11 AM »

Also, is breaking a standoff that common of a thing ?
Sometimes with Yoyos by middle/strong winds...  Roll Eyes
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 07:52 AM »

Reading this thread could lead one to the erroneous conclusion that 3mm vinyl end caps cost more than a few cents a piece.  Cheesy

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 10:49 PM »

I say glue the end caps on well. They have a tenancy to become unglued and if you mess around trying to glue them lightly you'll only hasten the process. I've never wanted to use them again unless I'm putting them back on the same stand off they became unglued from. You can use tape or heat shrink tubing for stand off caps. This works well for for Jaco type stand off connectors.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document