GWTW Forum
December 15, 2017, 04:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old glue residue on fabric  (Read 705 times)
ZekeII
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 07, 2017, 06:44 PM »

Years ago I bought several Hawaiians. One kite had lights and a battery pack taped to it, was flown for a while and then the lights were removed but the tape residue was not.  I didn't get around to flying them all and forgot about this one.  Now I am trying to remove more of the residue that has been on the fabric for 15 years or so.  I recently took it out and sprayed Goo Gone on it which did soften the residue a bit and it does make the fabric glossier. I sprayed it from the side with the residue, don't know if I should have sprayed it from the back. I figure one more application and let it sit for a while, then scrape it off with my thumbnail or just keep pushing it around with my finger.  I was wondering about any other "solvents" or agents that could be used .  Any ideas would be welcome.
Charles G
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:13 PM »

I have a large delta that someone had put reflective tape on the leading edge. I used Bestine to remove the tape/residue without harming the fabric. It is a rubber cement solvent and thinner.

Michel
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:39 AM »

Try to find Loctite glue remover.
ZekeII
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:05 AM »

Thanks for the info. Never heard of Bestine and knew that Locktite had a debonder; wonder if it's the same stuff. I guess the residue being on ripstop makes it a bit of a unique situation.  I will try the Goo Gone again next week when it warms up a bit more, then go find some of the recommended stuff.  Thanks again.
birdlovers
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 04:07 PM »

Hey,
Theresa from "The Kite Shoppe" in Vancouver WA turned me on to a Great solvent.

Its called Un-Cure
Got it at a local hobby store

Worked magic on Old tape and gunk on a UL nirvana.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom