GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 10:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mega Rok reframed in carbon  (Read 1474 times)
MeauxJo
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 23, 2009, 10:03 AM »

About two years ago the bottom dropped out on this kite at our festival and it hit the ground and the glass spine and one spreader section exploded. It never flew well here anyway being so heavy and had to much frame extension past the sail so it caught on everything.

I had ordered the frame sections several months ago but never got around to framing it up, so yesterday I went ahead and got it done along with using shorter sparing for even more weight savings (11mm spine and 9mm spreaders). I will put pockets on it next time I have the machine setup so I can dump another few oz off by knocking another 2" off each section and getting rid of the Nochs. I might make an SLE spine for it later as well.

We had a bit of a light cool breeze so I went and tried it out. It flew in winds I would have never even bothered to take it out in before! and climbs much faster now and pulls like a truck!

It also gave me a chance to try out my new race rod frame for my standard B-series. I like it a lot, I had to fly on 50 foot lines but it flew really well, I might actually be able to get some quad time now!

Blownfuse
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 10:35 AM »

It is a very beautiful kite. Good thing that you got it back together, it deserves to fly.
 Smiley

Best ever consultation ! Doctors order : Go fly a kite !  (literally, no joke)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:40 PM »

What size is that Rok?  I have one like it, but it's small. If they made a big one I'll have to be on the lookout for one.

Allen, AKA kitehead
MeauxJo

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:00 PM »

This one is a bit over 11 feet. It is an HQ and is discontinued but I am sure someone has one for sale in a shop, I think retail on it was around $400

They are heavy and a bit if a bother to put together in wind, but looks amazing if you can keep it under 100 feet.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:05 PM by MeauxJo » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 03:07 PM »

Cool. The regular one is about 4'

Allen, AKA kitehead
MeauxJo

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 03:13 PM »

I had one of the smaller ones in Soluna and still have a couple of the smaller ones in different sail patterns.

Pretty much if it is a Rok I own a one.
antman

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 05:24 PM »

niiiice.. i love it .. again ill say .. niiiiice

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum