GWTW Forum
December 11, 2017, 05:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best readily available wrist straps  (Read 3013 times)
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 06:36 PM »

Correction!
Boas were always made from tubular webbing. Newtech made them out of flat webbing.
I have original sets that are still flyable but are nothing compared to my leather ones (yes, you read that correctly, leather straps!!!)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 07:21 PM »

but are nothing compared to my leather ones (yes, you read that correctly, leather straps!!!)

Might just be me... but that just sounds strange. At least for kite flying.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 10:44 PM »

I'm so old I fly MLD straps I bought from Steve Grin  I keep some equally old Premier straps to lend to newbies. I suspect one day I'll go into my kite bag and find only a pocket full of nylon dust.
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 03:49 AM »

but are nothing compared to my leather ones (yes, you read that correctly, leather straps!!!)

Might just be me... but that just sounds strange. At least for kite flying.
So comfortable on the wrist, but I am a "pinch grip on the section below the ring" flyer..... So the natural give in the larger does not change flight control...

There was a guy who walked into my shop -probably 1998- who was looking to market them.  Left us a sample that I have been using ever since.....
His suggested retail was 29$ so he never broke into the market.. But they look nice and feel great... Talk about molding to your hand!!!!

np
Trade Count: (+35)

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 07:49 AM »

I simply can not wrap my head around this, especially with YOU being such an avid kite flier. It only goes to support the fact ALL of us like something different, so go with what suits you best. I can't seem to get a "Horse Collar" visual out of my mind. I am still asking myself: Why Leather?   

when I first started working in a kite shop I came in one day and my boss tossed me a pair of straps....."I know that you will use these" she said to me....
1.5" wide leather straps with a big metal D ring....
I have been flying on them now for 12 years easily and these are still my favorite straps to fly on.....
in lighter winds I will put my wrist through the strap and let th rest hang loose....then if I pop an Axel the weight of the ring gives a nice big centrifugal kick to the pop....double axels are nothing!!!and triples on the right day are possible too....(bruising about the knuckles are a possibility as well)
in higher winds I hold the straps by pinching the sawn area with my thumb and forefinger....
now:
1) I am not a new school trick flyer so I am not certain if these straps would hinder at all
2)I am not a precision flyer....my lines are probably not the same length at all....and the straps are no longer the same length either....
3)they have molded to my hands and wrists over the years and fit - well like a glove Wink
they were originally sent as a sales sample but the guy wanted llike 15$ a pair to him and 30$ to sell them.....yeah how many fliers are going to pay that for a stretchy pair of straps???
gotta find the pix i took of them...
r
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 08:39 AM »

I had a pair of very nice soft leather straps way back in the day, but they eventually got so sweat stained and stinky I put them away (or threw them away). Haven't thought of them in years. But, Yes, I can see using leather. I mean, they make nice gloves out of the stuff, right? Why not comfortable flight straps?

Cost and cleaning would be the issue for me.

Abit of history, GWTW used to sell two brands of leather flight straps:

https://web.archive.org/web/19990922014735/http://www.gwtw-kites.com:80/straps.html

The two types of straps I've used for years would make this group of "connoisseurs" laugh (cringe).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:05 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Steve Hall
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 11:26 AM »

yup ... remember those leather straps. hated them.
my favorite straps were the shorter Boa "Juniors" (they came in two lengths). I still have a pair or two hanging around.

Steve ...
former owner GWTW Kites
former kite flyer
currently the "slightly impaired" owner of the GWTW Kite Forum
np

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 09:12 AM »

I had a pair of very nice soft leather straps way back in the day, but they eventually got so sweat stained and stinky I put them away (or threw them away).
Ya, but you probably didn't get bruising about the knuckles?

in lighter winds I will put my wrist through the strap and let the rest hang loose....then if I pop an Axel the weight of the ring gives a nice big centrifugal kick to the pop....double axels are nothing!!!and triples on the right day are possible too....(bruising about the knuckles are a possibility as well)

This sounds like S&M flying to me.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:23 PM by np » Logged
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 05:51 AM »

As I got older I learned to fly a dual line without any wrist bending (i.e., keeping a stiff wrist for all push/pull inputs). The finger straps were key. Tried two of Norm's straps and they are perfect. One recommendation however in higher winds (>12 mph) and if you are going to fly all day place a band-aid on the forefinger (upper loop finger) for some added friction protection. Normally in SUL/UL winds there will be no issue. These are the best finger straps I have used. Metal BOA straps look interesting and comparable. But Norms hookup to a knotted end has less wear and tear? Will check the BOA - what company sells them ... ?

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
np

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 08:11 AM »

Tried two of Norm's straps and they are perfect. These are the best finger straps I have used.
Glad you liked the two pair.

Metal BOA straps look interesting and comparable. But Norms hookup to a knotted end has less wear and tear? Will check the BOA - what company sells them ... ?
John, to my knowledge no Company is making Boas. I made the metal hardware pair as an experiment. Might make a few more pair this Winter.
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 09:05 AM »

Ya, but you probably didn't get bruising about the knuckles?

in lighter winds I will put my wrist through the strap and let the rest hang loose....then if I pop an Axel the weight of the ring gives a nice big centrifugal kick to the pop....double axels are nothing!!!and triples on the right day are possible too....(bruising about the knuckles are a possibility as well)

This sounds like S&M flying to me.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yeah, I will admit that I am not a great trick flyer Wink and i have switched over to more of a grip between fingertips instead of flailing the strap around Dodd style now.

np

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31 AM »

flailing the strap around Dodd style now.
This explains a LOT. I'll tell you a story about Dodd and his flight strap technique later. I'm heading out the door for a week of fun in the sun and a lot of flying. I needed your explanation.  Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:37 AM by np » Logged
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 09:47 AM »

Dodd is a close friend of my old boss and so he visited Newport often and we always had a Flight School video playing in the shop too....
I learned a lot from him of all manner of things!

coop
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 10:28 AM »

I just got some straps from Norm, they are VERY nice! Thanks Norm!
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 01:29 PM »

Norm's is just higher end. The ITW straps I have always used are fine and are always available. But there is more comfort and BETTER CONTROL if they cover more surface area of your two fingers which obviously Norm's straps do as compared to the thinner ITW straps. Ironically over the LBI event in really high winds for me anyway at >12-14 mph on a Lam Hoac Vent while doing some hard core twisters a 90# dual line broke. But with Norm's straps I doubt the break will ever be AT THE FINGER STRAP END but either at the kite hookup bridle end or somewhere else in the line (as it was in this scenario) as there is NO WEAR at the two finger hookup point due to the knot hook-up capability. It was a 50' line so I just tossed it as it was 5-6 years old anyway and was as mentioned an approximate mid-point break.

Just FYI and my opinion.

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom