GWTW Forum
October 16, 2018, 09:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Flyer, Second Kite  (Read 12479 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 09:57 AM »

In terms of the wind that is the difficult part, I don't have steady winds generally, is often quite choppy as you would put it. I was really surprised when I saw 7-8 for an annual average, I'd put it a lot lower. I just looked at my wind finder app and saw for most of the days right now I am looking at winds approximately 2-6MPH and gusts up to 9MPH. I would categorize that as normal for us.

Found the sounds of it, while I really like the silver fox, it just won't be appropriate for what I will be trying to fly in.

This is the reason why you see people with a bag full of kites. Well, that and they are a little crazy.

The issue with something like a light, light wind, small kite is that they can't really take a stronger wind or guest. Something like a SUL that flies in 1-3mph is going to really be pushed at 4-7mph (and pretty much be risky at 7mph). It _might_ fly in 7mph but it's not going to be useful. A UL (such as the Silver Fox) can go as low as 4mph, I think you are looking for something that will fly in lower winds, but it's also going to be good for that 6-7mph wind you are talking about. If you want something for those 2-4mph times, it might not be a good fit for those 5-7mph winds. Welcome to the world of kiting.

However, don't see this as a bad thing. You _don't_ (don't) need a million kites. Take a little time, get some info and look around at some kites. Decide what you think would work best for you and go out and fly. Winds might be a little off for the kite but you will certainly be able to fly in more wind conditions.

I think I know where you are coming from... I think you would not mind a kite that flies in 1-3mph and would not mind if it won't do well in the 4-7mph range. If that is the case, I'd not recommend the SF UL.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
makatakam
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 11:21 AM »

Hey, glad you found this forum. You'll get lots of help here. It draws more dual-line flyers.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Arctic Cat ZRT
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 01:37 PM »

With the skyburners out of stock, I've expanded my search and wallet a bit.

1. HQ Shadow (2-12MPH range)
2. Cesium Continental (0-7MPH range)

In both of these I am also worried about spare parts availability.

Kites Owned: Sky Dogs Little Wing, Skyburner Aura SUL, Prism 4D, Silver Fox 2.5 STD
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 02:06 PM »

THIS should make a good read for you.
etully
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 02:24 PM »

Look for something framed with 3 PT, P200 etc. around 2.0-2.3 meters wingspan.  The Shadow has a weird pultruded LE that is fragile.  Also, it was not a rigid kite at all, so you can't slam it around.  A Nirvana UL or Widowmaker UL or Aura for example.  Maybe the Premier Widow UL is a good one, but I've never tried one.  People seem to like it and the price is good too. I have a 1.95 meter Lumokite Joker UL that is an amazing low wind flyer, but very radical. That kite made me realize that size is not the important factor in a light wind kite.
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 02:43 PM »

Maybe the Premier Widow UL is a good one, but I've never tried one.  People seem to like it and the price is good too.
Please PM me as to where I can buy a Premier Widow UL.
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 02:53 PM »

Here is some Shadow information for you. Notice it states it is for advanced Pilots and Experts. Might be why some don't seem to really like it.

Product Information
The Shadow resulted from the collaboration of HQ test pilots Ralf Naujocks and Ralph Joh... It offers full freestyle abilities (mastery of all of the old and new tricks while ensuring a high level of  precision), and attained the hovering properties of an UL kite.

With the Shadow, pilots can be ready to work on tricks with even the slightest breeze on a quiet day. The light weight and elegant appearance of this kite take you away from the daily grind for a while. With an MP3 Player and the right music in your ear, flying the Shadow could become meditation.

Additional design features:
• Additional reinforcements on the stand-offs and spine
• Covered leading edge connectors: the flight line can slip through securely
• New type of adjustable HQ Jojo stoppers
• Additional catch leg on the bridle to prevent winding around the spine
• Light frame from 4mm carbon tubes and Dynamic T12 for a wide wind range
• Additional weight on the tail for rolling-up tricks and
  safe backspins

The construction of the Shadow is very light. It is a kite for advanced pilots and experts.
•Wind Range:  1 - 10 mph
•  Wingspan:  81.5"
•  Height: 38"
•  Fabric:  Rip Stop Polyester
•  Frame:  Dynamic T12 and 4mm Carbon Tube
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:57 PM by np » Logged
etully
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 03:33 PM »

Are you attacking me Norm?  If Premier doesn't make a UL Widow, so state it. I reasoned they did, or did in the past.     I am just trying to offer some advice.  I have made a lot of purchasing mistakes in the past, and I am quite aware of what a good kite is compared to a &%#*e kite.
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 04:07 PM »

Are you attacking me Norm? 
No, I’m not attacking anybody. I’ve gone the extra mile and used the search option and thought I found good information for him. I also posted HQ Shadow info I had in my files.

Maybe the Premier Widow UL is a good one, but I've never tried one.  People seem to like it and the price is good too.
This statement made me think you had done your research/homework and I wanted a URL as to where I can buy one. If you know where I can buy one, please send me a URL.
Arctic Cat ZRT

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 06:05 PM »

Guys,

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty much at the point that I need to keep an eye on the classifieds to find a skyburner UL/SUL in my price range. Might go with the Shadow too but not too sure about it at this point.

Thanks again!

Kites Owned: Sky Dogs Little Wing, Skyburner Aura SUL, Prism 4D, Silver Fox 2.5 STD
glenn193
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 07:46 AM »

PM SENT.
Arctic Cat ZRT

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 08:50 AM »

PM SENT.

PM Returned!

Arctic Cat ZRT

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 09:06 PM »

Just a quick update. Seems that Glenn had a SkyBurner Aura SUL that he was looking to part with, after some brief talks I purchased it from him! Now just the long wait till I get it. I will update with some pictures once I get my hands on it.

As a side note I have been really impressed with this community so far, lots of good vibes and willingness to help. Can't say the same for my other hobby. Glad I took the plunge.

Norm Pulliam
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 07:40 AM »

I'm going to send you an e-mail with some files attached I think you will like.
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 04:58 PM »

Can't say the same for my other hobby. Glad I took the plunge.
Guessing grunge punk?

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom