GWTW Forum
December 16, 2017, 01:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Build - Sixthsense UL  (Read 2976 times)
OKB
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 19, 2017, 12:42 AM »

Hi all,
I want to build a Sixthsense UL and I would like your opinion on the following frame :

Upper leading edge: 3PT
Lower leading edge: 3PT
Upper spreader: Carbon Exel  5mm
Lower spreader: 3PT
Spine: Carbon Exel 6mm
Inner Stand Off: 3mm carbon
Outer Stand Off: 3mm carbon

Many thanks for your advices
Sébastien

etully
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:09 AM »

That looks good.  6mm pultruded spine should be fine.  For the spine, the plans call for a 3pt XL, but a 3pt with additional piece of scrap attached to the end is good. I would use TAPAs for the upper spreader, and maybe lower spreader too.  This is a good kite. Have fun making it.
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 01:47 PM »

I've made only one, and was a pro frame, so I cannot tell you from experience which frames work on the Sixth Sense. But, I do believe it responds best to a stiff frame, so maybe going for the P100/200 frame is a better choice.

But if you don't mind, let me ask you this, how low of a wind do you want it to fly in? My pro frame takes me down to 6-7 kmh with ease..

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:12 AM »

The Sixth Sense is a sizable kite... and flies in quite low wind (I also use built the Pro std framing).  For the framing you have listed, you may consider building a 90% size, as it will be more responsive.  Another idea is to try for a standard light framing... use the 3pts in the leading edges, but use 5pt lower spreaders.  If I ever build a lighter frame than the standard pro, this will be the frame I choose.
OCPablo

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 11:29 AM »

I have two SS's, one is a .80 (80% of full size) and the other I is a .95.  Both of the sails were made by Krijn Hemminga.  When it came to framing, I really had to ask myself what I wanted the kite to feel like considering the local winds.  I asked Krijn to make me "UL" sails for both of them.  My local winds consistently range from 2-10, with the typical sweet spot being 4-8mph.  Above 12mph I am grabbing a Rev typically.

For the .85 I wanted something smaller (say 7ft or just under) that was "fast and flippy".  By flippy, something that was going to do fast axles, ground axles and the newer slack line tricks.  This kite was framed in G-Force UL's for the LE and LS, a Excel Wrapped Carbon for the spine and a 4mm US.  I painted the spars white for looks only, and I like the way it came out.  This kite's frame is stiff, and I like it that way.  I can easily fly it in 4mph (the SS's sail design provides great lift and power) and it is magical on 60ft lines in a nice 6mph.  It reminds me a lot of the older trick kites that liked to be flown fast and aggressively, but has the ability to sit in a turtle, one pop yo-yo, etc.

The .95 I was going to go full Nitro like the plan listed on OSKP, but then realized that I really wanted to use the Skyshark 5PT which I think is a bullet proof rod and ensured me that I could use the same ferrules and connector sizes all around.  I went with a P2X spine, P200 ULE, 5PT LLE, 5PT Black Diamond LS and 5.5mm pultrude US.  Again this frame is on the stiffer side, but the 5PT's have a little flex that I like for ground tricks.  I am certain it would handle up to 16-18mph range.

By matching up weights on the Skyshark website, I was able to save a few oz's which I thought would help me gain maybe 1-2 mph on the low end.  Again, I was shooting for a kite that was a little bigger, a little more power but still light enough to fly 90% of the time.  I also dropped the tail weight down a bit, I think it's 23g vs the plans 25g if memory serves me correctly.  I did not want a "BIG" kite per se, but something with a little more sail area and a little more mass.  What I have is what I wanted... a 10% larger version of the ss.80!

The little SS.80 was dead on the minute I flew it.  I didn't have to do single thing to it, but I will be changing out the yo-yo stoppers (I have the R-Sky version and I am going more towards the Benson style... modified grommets.)

The SS.95 was 95% there.  I have modified the leech line to be static vs dynamic (personal preference, speed control is not a factor to me as I am not competing) and will need to upgrade the bridle (I asked Krijn to make me one that was for a SUL, and the bridle material is a bit light for a kite this size in the upper wind range... that's on me.)

I also have an Essence UL and a P3 that Krijn made the sails for, and the one thing I can tell you is that these plans are pretty good right out of the gate but you do need to be prepared to do some tweaking, modifications and testing.. On BOTH kites I shortened the sail standoffs to get the right proportions.  On both kites I have played with the tail weight, not just the amount but the style of weights (a large mass at the bottom of the spine vs longer mass... like a rod inserted inside the spine for example... that moves the weight over a larger area.)

My Essence has been a real challenge, but consistently tweaking the bridle and more importantly the tail weight and type of weight used have gotten me close.  I guess my point is the real benefit of these designs is that you can modify them, tweak them, etc..  You almost have to to be honest, but they lend themselves to a bit of customization.  The people who own these kites or have built them are all very helpful, just reach out to people and get some feedback.

You can see my SS's on my GPhoto page, link is listed below.  The SS .95 is the one with the blue wingtips.

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
OKB

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 12:34 PM »

Thanks you all for your reply.
I want to build this kite for low wind (3-10 kmh)
As I already print a 100% plan , I think I would go for 5pt lower spreaders (as suggested by sugarbaker)
Krijn
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 01:54 PM »

wow, i've forgotten how many sails i made for you, ocpablo! Smiley

i like sugarbaker's advice, good choice you'll go for that

i didn't like the 3pt-versioned UL at all (and i think the STD Pro is the best open source kite available), kite is too big, slow and light
it flies like a sul

some like it that way, but i didn't

good luck with the build, show us some pictures

Krijn
OCPablo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 04:22 PM »

Whaaa... you think I'm done ordering?

Cheesy

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
Otherone

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 03:44 PM »

Funny all this talk about Sixth Sense. I have been off the board for a bit, but while I was away I was ramping up for my next build. After my previous six builds, which were variations of my own design, (half of which are still under tweak mode by the way) I was ready to build something tried and true. I wanted a larger kite than what I had been building and flying. One that could take a punch yet still have a good range. Having mostly a sky shark frame was a big bonus just in availability here state side. Needless to say you can guess what I chose. Grin Standard Version has commenced. OKB I look forward to see what yours looks like!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:09 PM by Otherone » Logged

Fly Em High!
OKB

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 02:42 PM »

Just received any parts for building.
Pictures coming soon  Smiley

OKB

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 02:08 PM »

Work in progress  Smiley
I already made a mistake with the reinforcements on the front instead of the back ...
Krijn
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:28 AM »

Classic mistake, but not really an issue.

It is looking good!

Krijn
Saiman1008

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 12:55 AM »

Great start!!! proceed on!!!Cant wait to see it all done

Imagination is the highest kite one can fly !!!!!!!
coogee

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 02:11 AM »

Nice lay out

Mike
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 02:44 AM »

very nice!

Indeed a classic mistake, happened to all of us....

Following this thread.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom