GWTW Forum
November 18, 2017, 01:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording Kite with a Drone?  (Read 1478 times)
FlyingHigh
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 07, 2017, 10:49 PM »

Hey everyone, loving this site so far. Some of you are more creative then I could ever be and I really enjoy seeing it come to fruition. In my circle of friends I am not even the big flier, my best buddy is and I will normally follow him around and try and get sick photos. I have climbed a mountain so that I would be level with the kite at points before and we even experimented with using fishing cameras on the kite string and on other kites to see what kind of videos we could get. Not that good of ones unfortunately Sad

The next thing I want to try is recording from a drone. I would like to try using something other than a quadcopter if possible but I cannot find any for sale that are in my price range (looking to spend under $500 as I will use the drone for other photo shoots as well). I was thinking that with kites a quadcopter might mess up the wind too much which is why I want to avoid it, but I would not be upset about getting a Parrot Drone as they seem to be fairly non intrusive. Has anyone filmed kites with a drone before and can offer me some advice? Looking for any models to look at that might work better than a cheap parrot and just to get some input on the idea. Thanks in advance.

After reading all the comments in here a dozen times( and watching the videos on them) I decided to try and get a used Parrot drone so that I am not out too much money if I manage to crash it. I was really lucky and found myself an awesome little parrot bebop drone on http://www.used.forsale/parrot-drone that I have been practicing with and I must admit, I am not doing too bad. Hopefully I will have some videos to show you all soon Smiley
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:29 PM by FlyingHigh » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 09:34 AM »

Yes! I've done it once, and will certainly do it again.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=14621.0

The big issue is that it's probably not at all a good idea to do this with other people around. Certainly not with other people flying (single or multiple line)

I've been using a fairly expensive and bulky drone rig because my main goal is B&W still photography, but now I'm strongly considering the DJI Spark for fun video (like kites)

It starts at about $500 and is tiny and really excellent all around.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:38 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 10:34 AM »

L'Atelier, a French kite company, did a promo vid for The Slash I think.

Anybody have a link?

Here it is courtesy of Kite Clique:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=ktJyYN8FvmA

Now, I'm not sure if they used a drone, or another kite for this.

Fun video anyway.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:39 AM by JimB » Logged
FlyingHigh

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:36 PM »

Yes! I've done it once, and will certainly do it again.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=14621.0

The big issue is that it's probably not at all a good idea to do this with other people around. Certainly not with other people flying (single or multiple line)

I've been using a fairly expensive and bulky drone rig because my main goal is B&W still photography, but now I'm strongly considering the DJI Spark for fun video (like kites)

It starts at about $500 and is tiny and really excellent all around.

I watched the video and it seemed really good, you don't give yourself enough credit in the comments. Good shout on now flying somewhere busy, would hate to get a drone tangled in someones line. I'm going to take a look at the DJI Spark as well, it looks a little expensive compared to what I wanted to spend but not entirely out of budget.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 07:48 PM »

One of the things about inexpensive drones is they don't stay steady in the air without a lot of pilot interaction, especially on windy days. And as the cheap ones are controlled from you phone, the controls are hard to manage if the drone wants to wander around.

Probably not a big factor for SUL flying, but would make shooting in real wind more difficult.

The Spark is one of the only really small drones that has good high wind manners and even though the cheap version is controlled from the phone, this makes it a good choice for kite videos.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 10:33 AM »

Many years ago I used KAP to get good photos from the sky. For the past 3 years or so, I've been using a drone.

You can get great photos of kites using a drone... .but it's tricky. Propellers do not like kite line. Also, kites don't always stay in one fixed place. When you have $1200 into a drone, and perhaps $500 into a kite... you don't want to play "lets see how close I can get".

Because of kite lines you need to maintain a good distance from the area the kite is in. if you are around a lot of kites, you need to know _exactly_ where the drone is and where it is going. I was out yesterday getting some shots of 2 SLK that I had in the air. I was up above the kites but then lost track a little of where the drone was. i needed to fly up and then way around the kite field before I could lower the drone.

The most impressive drone shots of kites is when the drone gets close enough to the kite to fill the frame with the kite. Since drones don't really have optical zoom and also since they tend to have a wide angle lens, you'd need to be really close to the kite.

Those are things to consider but I LOVE filming kites with my drones. You can can some really great shots... and those are shots you could not get otherwise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SY2Bt24uy13xwtBA3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TX7NtG5K6Za9rqpD2

https://youtu.be/gtqxsoePyQA

https://youtu.be/uNjgjhoPBlM

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
FlyingHigh

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 02:13 AM »

Those are some pretty amazing shots. What drone/drones did you use for them?
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:47 AM »

Those are some pretty amazing shots. What drone/drones did you use for them?

I'm currently using a Phantom 3, Phantom 4 and Mavic Pro. All of the photos were taken with the Mavic. Personally, I like the photos from the Phantom 4 better but the Mavic is the "newest" so I always seem to gravitate toward it. Same seems to apply to kites as well. Smiley The Mavic is so compact and quick.

[Bear Lake video was shot with the Phantom 3. Kite Party video was shot with the Phantom 4]

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 10:53 AM »

I bought a cheap second hand Parrot Bebop 1 drone on Ebay and it's great for taking kite photos. I tend to just put it in video mode and then grab stills from the video by pausing it at the right place I want. I took this one of my daughter flying on the beach in Cornwall in the Spring......

FlyingHigh

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 02:05 AM »

So it seems that there are lots of good drones to fly around kites with and it just depends on your skill level with them. I might opt for a cheaper drone at the moment so I don't have too too much invested into something that I will inevitably crash. I am going to take a look at all the drones mentioned here and also take a look at what I can find used around me. Wish me luck Smiley
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 02:17 AM »

. Wish me luck Smiley

Good luck!

I would definitely recommend a second hand drone to start with. If you don't like it you can probably sell it for the same price again on Ebay afterwards. If you want to take still photos from video footage get a drone that records in 1080 or 4k to get decent stills from the video.

Let us know how you get on!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom