GWTW Forum
November 18, 2017, 01:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1086 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 31, 2017, 01:48 PM »

Hello all, bought my 1st stunt kite last Friday. Its a graphite Prism E3. Should be delivered by this Friday. I do not know anything except forum info and Dodd Gross videos  Sad Went with the advice buy the best you can afford and what you think you will enjoy for a long time. Now I am worried I will do more damage than learn the art. Looking at a Premier Sidewinder and a Premier Trick n Track. Seems like 20 years ago they were the real deal. Not a lot of info on them. I have 9 grand kids and 2 great grand kids under 12 wanting to fly. Jon in MI the designer should have parts and modifying info if and when we knock the snot out of them. I live 35 miles east of Colorado Springs Co at 6200 ft. Limited to $150.00 for 2 more kites and want different models. Any advice? Wind out here blows from 1 to 70 mph 369 days a year  Huh If wind annoys you living here will suck. Thanks.
Frazer
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:59 PM »

If you want to save yourself a long and possibly frustrating (and expensive) learning curve I suggest you contact the local kite association. I don't live in the area or have the details ... but here are a couple of leads:

https://www.facebook.com/Rocky-Mountain-Kite-Association-847626995321524/

and this article:

http://kitelife.com/2011/07/01/issue-79-rocky-mountain-kite-association/

there website is here:

https://sites.google.com/site/rockymountainkiteassociation/

You are lucky in that you have a "local" kite shop - Into The Wind in Boulder, I'm sure they'd be happy to put you in touch with kite clubs/fliers.

You'll find kite ppl a friendly and welcoming bunch ... and its much more fun flying with others.

-Frazer
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:13 PM by Frazer » Logged
DD
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:12 PM »

Frazer is correct.  Opk; other people's kites is a great way to try before you buy. Plus it's great to meet other and learn one on one.
The prism is a good starter

Sine Metu!
breezin

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:55 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Going to make the trip Sat. The Kymera looks like one that would be on my short list in the future. Can't wait to see it and hopefully learn a few things. Should be a fun day.
ZekeII

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:32 PM »

I've been thru Yoder back in '71. Was stationed at Peterson AFB and did a little rock collecting out around Kit Carson and other places.
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:08 PM »

I don't really think that you can go wrong with that E3.  I would think that in the area, you might be able to find some used kites.  I've found some great local deals.  Used kites can be a little tricky if you don't know much about kites, though.

You might want to consider a foil.  In some ways, they are great for beginners, because they basically can't break the kite.  Downside is that they can be hard to self launch, at least the ones that I have.

Brett

formally known as grantb
breezin

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:30 PM »

Wow deal on the E3 did not fly  Cry The saying if its too good to be true? Yoder probably has'nt changed much since 71. Been here since 96. Few more people and less cows and antelope. Buddy has a foil I can use next time some of the kids come out. So now I'm thinking Premier Widow and hq bebop. Any thoughts?
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:47 AM »

The Widow is a good value if it's anything like my Widowmaker. I'd definitely go for that.

Bob D.
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 11:40 AM »

The HQ Bebop is a small and pretty basic kite - a 'fun' kite really, don't expect to get any real tricks out of it. If you wanted to go with something from HQ the Jive III or Maestro III would be a much better option for trick flying.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
breezin

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 02:05 PM »

Hello all. Was at kites and fun things web sight yesterday fixing to buy the wolf ng Had just went to check out and got a ping. It was 2nd wind with a new widow ng that I couldn't refuse. Should be here Mon. The older I get the more I appreciate the synchronicity of things. Smiley Still haven't decided on the learner. Leaning towards the flying wings spider from fun with wind. The ad says it comes with dyneema lineset. That alone should be worth half the asking price.
makatakam

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09 AM »

Hello all. Was at kites and fun things web sight yesterday fixing to buy the wolf ng Had just went to check out and got a ping. It was 2nd wind with a new widow ng that I couldn't refuse. Should be here Mon. The older I get the more I appreciate the synchronicity of things. Smiley Still haven't decided on the learner. Leaning towards the flying wings spider from fun with wind. The ad says it comes with dyneema lineset. That alone should be worth half the asking price.

The one you learn on can be anything cheap that flies fairly well. It's only purpose is to zip around doing the basic figures until you are no longer using it as a lawn dart. Most beginner dual line kites are not designed for tricking and not adjustable. In other words, don't spend a lot of time worrying about what to select.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
breezin

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 09:42 AM »

Yup but I sure have enjoyed the indecision. Spider it is. Thanks for the replies.
breezin

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 07:42 PM »

Flew for the 1st time today. Not sure what all the fuss is about. It only took an hour and a half hour to nail down 3 tricks. Could be the Widow ng is exceptional. I'm not sure what they're called. I named them nosedive left, nosedive center and nosedive right  Cool Man was it fun and I even learned how to zen out while unsnarling kite lines.
Tim P.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 10:07 PM »

Flew for the 1st time today. Not sure what all the fuss is about. It only took an hour and a half hour to nail down 3 tricks. Could be the Widow ng is exceptional. I'm not sure what they're called. I named them nosedive left, nosedive center and nosedive right  Cool Man was it fun and I even learned how to zen out while unsnarling kite lines.

LOL!

Thank you for that, I've been needing a smile!

It does get better, and rather quickly. Keep at it!
TheherbPentagruel!

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 09:12 AM »

''Man was it fun and I even learned how to zen out while unsnarling kite lines.''  LOL! a useful skill to have for sure! Enjoy your new hobby,its GREAT!

Oscar ,Miami
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom