GWTW Forum
November 29, 2014, 01:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Winds - What's Your Line - For Staying  (Read 2437 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: August 26, 2009, 01:10 PM »

I hear different things about how to enjoy high winds. Some people pull out high pound strength lines which are 100-120' long and do precision. Some do not mind tricking in the corners, some pack it in after 10 mph - some consider Vent kites a BIG PLUS - some do not - If you are one those who does fly above say 15 mph - what's your cup of tea, style and equipment? Currently I am going to try a SD-Mid Vent with 85 X 150# lines where normally it would be 75' X 90# lines - as an example to slow things down a bit.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:05 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 01:16 PM »

Talon VTD  90feetX150 lines

The new Frank!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 01:28 PM »

100'x150# line
alien; some tricks
psycho; some tricks
jet stream speed; speed and some percision
micron new style w tail, with included lines or 100' 90# lines
micron old style no tail with micron line set in 20-25mph sustained winds becomes more of reflex test

Sine Metu!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:36 PM »

I have several vented kites, but if the wind is over maybe 12 mph, none of them is much fun except for flying figures and practicing hard cornering.

When the wind is up, I usually pull out my Rev 1.5 with SLE. At those wind speeds, the Rev is crisp and active. Last week, however, a dive stop resulted in a broken leading edge. First time I'd ever broken a stick on a Rev. I don't particularly like the bendy frames most of the Rev flyers use, but the tradeoff is that more wind is needed to fly the SLE Rev.

Below 12 mph winds, pull out the 150 or 200 # line sets and put on one of the vented dualies.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:37 PM »

Vented Revs, use up to 4 wrap frames and 150# lines, depending on wind strength.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:51 PM »

Fearless Standard on 90# 100' or 120' lines.  Great speed control, low pull, and no shudder even when it really kicks up.  And, you can still do tricks to a reasonable degree - certainly at 15 you can.

I fly and trick it in wind that my previous vents would be unusable in (mostly due to pull).  I used to fly on 75'-85' lines, but the longer lines really make all big difference.

6 kite tom
RonG
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 02:12 PM »

Machine STD, 150# lines.  If it goes much higher than that, Industrial Machine, 150# lines.  Std. and vented Vendettas are also kites I enjoy in those winds.

I don't go hide at the edges to do my tricks.  It just takes a willingness to be more aggressive, faster, and be willing to move one's feet.
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 04:28 PM »

Good answers so far ... the 150# test line seems to be a logical standard ... these speed kites look a bit dangerous  Sad  ... I guess if you have the flying zone go to 100' or 120'. I hear you on the Fearless ... LH's kite do have an incredible wind range ... I hear you on the moving of the feet RG ... it can be tough sometimes at the BEACH with west winds as the kite is on the water's edge ... and I am in soft sand ... one tends to get a bit motionless after an hour ... N/S/or E winds especially at low tide one does find oneself on hard compact sand in my zipcode ... currently ... this is when I usually get a bit out of control ...  Cheesy Wink Grin

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
stapp59
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 05:29 PM »

Related topic http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=685.0
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:59 PM »

Deep Space with R-Sky screens and whatever line seems prudent. I'll fly this setup in just about anything reasonable.

I also like the xt.Z, in winds in the teens, but it does have a top. 15 to 20 or so mph it's great though.

jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 09:55 PM »

I just enjoy longer line sets. When things go wrong especially in high winds, its nice to have that extra split second. Anything under 100' feels short.

When the winds are really up, in the 15-25mph range. There are only a few tricks that I will work on: The insane, snap lazy and inverse, and axels. Maybe the more advanced fliers will comment on their high wind tricks.

A lot of fliers don't care for high winds, much of that I'd attribute to lack of experience. I didn't enjoy it at first, and it still isn't my first choice of winds to fly in, but being out with advanced fliers, let me know that it could be done. I've worked on it, just like any other trick and have grown comfortable in higher winds.

Jay
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 05:38 AM »

Above 15 mph, Talon vtd on 125' X 90#.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 05:49 AM »

Sea Devil mid or full vent with wind brakes, 200lbx100'......slooooow

"Do what you like"
glider

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 08:05 AM »

Vented Rev w/ 4 wrap rods or
Beamer 1.8 power kite, a helmet and pads.
Dave

Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 07:47 AM »

in the 12-18 or so range I will fly the vented saber. Much above that and tricks get to be a bit too much work to be fun so I fly the mirages. They are a blast in 15+ winds.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum