GWTW Forum
October 23, 2018, 03:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Treasure Island 'Mania' or Sport Kite weekend?  (Read 1449 times)
Dolittle
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: November 07, 2017, 09:03 AM »

Hi,

Can anyone advise how KiteMania and Treasure Island Sport Kite Festival events are different?  We are SLK fliers but enjoy the sport kite displays and can go to one or the other event. 

I do  know the Sport Kite competition is the focus of the January 13/14 event, but there are SLK fliers there as well--We attended this one last year (stayed at the Thunderbird Resort) so I know a little about it.   http://www.visitstpeteclearwater.com/events-calendar/treasure-island-kite-festival-sport-kite-competition/7061

But I see Kite Mania is Feb 2-4 and that looks fun too but we have never been there:  https://www.facebook.com/events/1175668262533361/  Looks like it's more for the Tampa area kite fliers and their friends maybe?

Will there be lots of great kites to see at both gatherings (presuming the weather is good) or is one much bigger/smaller than the other or different is some significant way (other than the competition)?

Thanks for any advice.  J.
photogbill
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:43 PM »

I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks. I've been to the MLK weekend event multiple times but this year planning on attebding the Kite Mania event for the first time. Looks like KIte Mania is expecting quite a lot of kite fliers. I fly both duel line & quad kites but mainly duel line sport kites. From the list of those who have said they are going, looks like there will be a lot of quad line fliers. Not sure about SLK fliers. Time wil tell.
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:07 AM »

My 2 cents - the TI Festival is a festival.  In other words, schedules, competitions, announcer, performances, etc.  KiteMania is more like Kite Party (East) - i.e. laid back, no schedule, no competitions, etc.  I.e. just hang out with other kite people and fly as much or as little as you want.  There are a lot of kite flyers (especially quad flyers) going to KiteMania this year due to the tribute to Rich Comras and the Kites Against Cancer auction.  Many well known kite builders are donating to the auction.  I'm headed to Kite Mania this year.

By the way, that beach is very wide and there is plenty of room for SLKs.  I'll probably bring a few (although they might never make it out of the bag once I set up a rev). 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:09 AM by goestoeleven » Logged
Dolittle
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:01 AM »

We ended up going to the Sport Kite competition weekend January 13/14  (but stayed for a week).  We enjoyed watching lots of Revolution flyers and some good sport kite competition. 

And nice wind for SLK, which we flew. I was able to fly some of my new Sun Oak kites with new tails (Christmas gifts).

But the week we were at Treasure Island it was very cold, still fun with decent wind and some sunshine.

Would like to hear from everyone who attends Kite Mania this year. 

Maybe next year we will stay for 2 weeks and hit both events.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom