GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 10:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting straight lines with a fighter  (Read 1606 times)
MeauxJo
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 26, 2009, 05:05 PM »

I can get around well with the fighters but I have trouble get the kite to fly straight horizontal lines. I can get them to cut straight up and down perfectly and can time the transition when I want but then all will arc in some random direction on left and right paths. I can some times do it but it seems to only fly the path randomly.

Is my tension not even or Kite not setup properly or do I just need to chose the right fighter for the winds.
karengus
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:52 PM »

Horizontals seem tougher, but with practice you'll nail 'em. It's a matter of line tension. Pick a visual marker in the background, tops of mountains, a distant fence line etc., and practice. You'll get the feel, just takes time.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:54 PM »

Moving the tow point down may help some in achieving straight horizontal flight

From Bruce Lamberts article 'Optimizing Kite Performance'

Moving the tow connection loop toward the nose of the kite causes the kite to:
(a) have less pull on your flying line,
(b) fly slightly faster,
(c) spin or turn in wider circles,
(d) be less willing to fly straight or 'track' for long distances,
(e) be more willing to circle, curve or spin,
(f) be less stable.

Moving the tow connection toward the tail of the kite from the initial starting position:
(a) reduces the willingness of the kite to spin,
(b) when the kite does spin, the kite will spin in a tighter circle,
(c) causes the kite to pull harder on your flying line,
(d) causes the kite to fly slightly slower,
(e) enhances the kite’s ability to fly straight or 'track',
(f) makes the kite more stable.

you should google Bruce and check his site out, he also has a CD out with a wealth of information.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:56 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:53 AM »

I like trying to do figures with my fighters. Since I fly them alone it is something to do... Smiley

"Do what you like"
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:18 PM »

Make sure the direction of the arcs is really random. E.g., if the kite usually turns left (ctr-clockwise) or usually right (clockwise), you can tune that out. Either by adjusting a 3-way bridle, or by flexing the (bamboo) side of the bow on the outside of the arc.

Many kites have a tendency to turn down on a horizontal "ground pass" when they're very heavily powered -- i.e., lots of line tension. That bias has no solution other than (a) easing up a bit or (b) choosing another kite. As I recall, this tendency is associated with a high "tip ratio", which is more-or-less a high aspect-ratio (=~wide) kite.

And of course, uneven or lumpy wind always makes a kite track badly, in apparently random ways.

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document