GWTW Forum
September 18, 2018, 01:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious question...Rev Speed Series  (Read 3667 times)
voodoostuff
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: November 27, 2017, 02:20 PM »

I have one quad line kite, and it is a Shockwave, from Revolutionís Speed Series. I enjoy flying it, but I havenít put in enough time on it to be super proficient with it. Obviously, I donít have a ton of experience with quad line kites, so I am just curious why I donít really see any posts about the Speed Series Quads. Are the standard Rev models preferred? Is there something negative about the Speed Series that isnít obvious to the average pilot? Or is it just coincidence that nobody really discusses them? Input anyone?

P.S. Having never flown a quad other than the Shockwave, I think it is an amazing, and awesome kite. Itís very fast, pulls hard, and seems pretty precise. Itís a challenge, but a lot of fun to fly. I really need to pull it out of the bag more.
makatakam
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 03:06 PM »

There's just less of them around -- like 50 to 1 versus the standard style Revs. The Speed Series is what it says it is. FAST. Other than that, it's pretty much as precise and  capable as the others. Just different. It's a bit larger and has a different frame setup. I have a Supersonic from the Speed Series and enjoy flying it. I also have other Revs and fly the others most of the time. The Speed Series pulls more, and I'm older so I don't pull it out unless the wind is on the light side.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:15 PM »

I'm going to give my $0.02, which is worth a lot less than that.

One of the kite clubs that I belong to, the members mostly fly Rev 1.5's.  They fly them a lot.  They are willing to change basic configuration stuff (frames, vents, etc).  However, when they try a quad that isn't a 1.5 or 1.5 clone (of which I have many), universally they say, well, that's interesting, but I'll stick with my Rev.  I think that they have so much time invested with them and their goals are to fly them precisely.  Nothing wrong with that, but that is most of the local members.  I have seen this attitude many other times, but it is by no means universal.

I owned an older Shockwave and loved it.  I sold it, a move that I now regret, when I went through a period of time where I wasn't flying.  I've flown every Rev except the dual line and the larger Blasts.  I like them all.  I liked the noise and the pull from the Shockwave, but the Supersonic was good, too.  If you ever want to get rid of yours, let me know:)

I don't do formation or precise flying, I just do whatever I feel like.  My goals are different.  I would bet that the Speed Series are not big sellers for Rev.  Current Rev's are also overpriced in my opinion.  I'm not going to pay $300 for a new Supersonic.  But that is just me.

I think that the speed of a Shockwave scared a number of flyers.  It isn't a terrible first quad, but it isn't great, either.  I think that they just didn't sell a lot of them compared to the 1.5.  The Rev 2 was a faster kite, too, and notice that they don't even offer that one anymore.

Take it out and fly it.  Enjoy it.  I know of flyers in the Bay Area that could Flic-Flac them back in the early 2000's.

Brett

formally known as grantb
voodoostuff

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 03:16 PM »

There's just less of them around -- like 50 to 1 versus the standard style Revs. The Speed Series is what it says it is. FAST. Other than that, it's pretty much as precise and  capable as the others. Just different. It's a bit larger and has a different frame setup. I have a Supersonic from the Speed Series and enjoy flying it. I also have other Revs and fly the others most of the time. The Speed Series pulls more, and I'm older so I don't pull it out unless the wind is on the light side.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I guess the difference in popularity could be attributed to the fact that they havenít been made as long as the standard Revs. I think the Speed Series is discontinued now, so they were only offered for a few years. Makes sense, now that I think of it in those terms.
voodoostuff

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 03:25 PM »

One of the kite clubs that I belong to, the members mostly fly Rev 1.5's.  They fly them a lot.  They are willing to change basic configuration stuff (frames, vents, etc).  However, when they try a quad that isn't a 1.5 or 1.5 clone (of which I have many), universally they say, well, that's interesting, but I'll stick with my Rev.  I think that they have so much time invested with them and their goals are to fly them precisely.  Nothing wrong with that, but that is most of the local members.  I have seen this attitude many other times, but it is by no means universal.

I owned an older Shockwave and loved it.  I sold it, a move that I now regret, when I went through a period of time where I wasn't flying.  I've flown every Rev except the dual line and the larger Blasts.  I like them all.  I liked the noise and the pull from the Shockwave, but the Supersonic was good, too.  If you ever want to get rid of yours, let me know:)

I don't do formation or precise flying, I just do whatever I feel like.  My goals are different.  I would bet that the Speed Series are not big sellers for Rev.  Current Rev's are also overpriced in my opinion.  I'm not going to pay $300 for a new Supersonic.  But that is just me.

I think that the speed of a Shockwave scared a number of flyers.  It isn't a terrible first quad, but it isn't great, either.  I think that they just didn't sell a lot of them compared to the 1.5.  The Rev 2 was a faster kite, too, and notice that they don't even offer that one anymore.

Take it out and fly it.  Enjoy it.  I know of flyers in the Bay Area that could Flic-Flac them back in the early 2000's.

Itís understandable precision oriented fliers would stick to what they know best. Iím also a ďdo what I feel likeĒ pilot, although, I fully intend to buckle down and learn some cool tricks with my dual line kites. The Rev, for me, will likely never be anything more than just for recreation...something fun to whirl around in the sky with. Thanks for the insight. I appreciate the reply.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 03:42 PM »

Shhh... Do not tell him about decas Cheesy

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
voodoostuff

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 03:47 PM »

Now you did it. I gotta know.
voodoostuff

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 03:52 PM »

[/quote]

Now you did it. I gotta know.
[/quote]

Oooh, pretty. Lol. Iíve seen those before, but never had an opportunity to fly one. They look cool, if a bit complex.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 06:13 PM »

Decas are awesome....I am severely biased though.

Decas are a different beast:
I find them
more controllable
more artistic/graceful
more durable
more interesting to fly
more forgiving
more fickle
more gracious for differing wind types
more fun
I have owned and flown all types of quad lines and learned to fly revs from master flyers like Scotty Weider
I would strongly advise that if you see one for sale grab it and take it for a test drive, you can resell if it is not for you.   Or if you can find a local flyer who has one for you to try get on it!
Brett is another long time deca lover....

I had customers at my old shop who started flying a rev on a speed series kite..they did fine, but the speed series are different beasts than the 1.5 versions. more finicky and much faster than a 1.5 model.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52 PM »

The shockwave has been discontinued but you can still find a few here and there for sale.  I thin Rev still has a couple in stock too.  The Super Sonic is still being produced in both the standard and the vented versions.

The sonic is my favorite Rev to fly.  Incredibly fast, fun and dive stops are killer.  They are much harder to master than the standard 1.5 series kites and take a lot more time to really get use to.  I feel this is the main reason most rev pilots tend to steer away from the speed series kites.

I have seen them used in many different performance routines.  When someone can master the sonic/shockwave in a routine it is always going to be very exciting to watch.

goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 09:56 PM »

I find them
more controllable
more artistic/graceful
more durable
more interesting to fly
more forgiving
more fickle
more fun
I have owned and flown all types of quad lines and learned to fly revs from master flyers like Scotty Weider
I would strongly advise that if you see one for sale grab it and take it for a test drive, you can resell if it is not for you.   Or if you can find a local flyer who has one for you to try get on it!

I had customers at my old shop who started flying a rev on a speed series kite..they did fine, but the speed series are different beasts than the 1.5 versions. more finicky and much faster than a 1.5 model.

Yeah, and if you think the speed series are rare, just try to find a Deca.  I have only (very) rarely had the opportunity to fly them, and only own one A1 myself.  I've missed a few on the swap meet, and they are not being made unless you have the kite budget of cirque du soleil . . . . which I do not.  As far as I can tell, they are basically a unicorn kite that I only see either on the internet or when I'm at the same festival as Lisa W.  I think the only way I'll get one is to build one . . . .
voodoostuff

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20 PM »

I find them
more controllable
more artistic/graceful
more durable
more interesting to fly
more forgiving
more fickle
more fun

Thanks for the info, and the suggestions. Iíll keep my eyes peeled. Itís tough feeding this addiction though.
brettgrant99

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 07:33 AM »

... Incredibly fast, fun and dive stops are killer.  ...

Absolutely!

Brett

formally known as grantb
brettgrant99

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 07:47 AM »

Here is a 36 Mb video of me flying a Deca 15.  The last 20 seconds or so is my daughter flying it.  That was the first time that she had flown it.  It was on youtube originally, but they took it down due to the music.  This was about seven years ago.  Unfortunately, I sold that kite.

Here is a pic of several quads together, so you can see relative sizes.  This picture is about 15 years old.  I still have the Backtracker and the Utopia, but sadly, all the others are gone.  I have since been able to acquire two more Decas, an Airbow, an HQ Mojo, and several Rev 1s.  I really enjoy the Airbow.

Brett

formally known as grantb
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 06:32 PM »

I too am from the dark side of the Rev dark side. The B2/Rev2 versions are my favorites - light pull and speed. Supersonic is fun too, except it pulls too hard for my physical limitations. The B2/Rev2 and supersonic have more speed and are precise enough for my solo flying goals.

I quickly get bored flying the 1.5 versions, except for during my limited team flying experiences. It usually takes me a few minutes flying a 1.5 to quit over-steering and bow-tying, while trying to speed up spins and cart wheels. It's like driving a truck instead of a sports car.

The trend is definitely towards team flying and small learning curve for newbies that want instant gratification and enough control to jump into a line of fliers. It seems that is where most of the new business is at.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom