GWTW Forum
March 24, 2018, 06:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
   Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Curious question...Rev Speed Series  (Read 1687 times)
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 05:29 AM »

The trend is definitely towards team flying and small learning curve for newbies that want instant gratification and enough control to jump into a line of fliers. It seems that is where most of the new business is at.

I would say that it was the trend for years...but with Bazzer gone, Barressi doing his own thing where is the trend going now?
I just like to fly!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 10:42 AM »

If it gets windy where you fly, or if you want to rest your arms and back, consider a vented Supersonic. My favorite speed series kite.
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 03:57 PM »

Marketing plus a "flock" mentality of new buyers at the time. For a number of years (and good on them....Rev...really) folks were sold on the idea that a (new) Rev flier HAD to have a 1.5 B series...morphing into the 1.5 "pro's"....and HAD to fly on 120' of 90# line....because they were told eventually you...the new flier would most certainly aspire to flying with or on a "team" as that's what everybody does. Huh???
The forums were ripe with folks decrying a Rev 1....too slow, or a Rev 2....too squirrelly, and the Speed Series were not really mentioned very much at all...except for folks who were mavericks who had no interest in team flying and/or the compromising qualities of  a "B" with120' lines. Many many moons ago I turned a close friend onto Revs and he went on to be a founding member of iQuad and still loves team flying and is very good at it. That didn't float my boat at biggie. We've flown pairs a couple of times.....whatever....not for me.
As much as I like my 1.5's I still think of them as a compromise between a 1 and a 2....which in fact they are really. My Sedgwick Rev 1's and variants....Zen and a Robertshaw are my faves by far. Besides I don't like 120' lines....
I had a Shockwave and a Supersonic for a while and quite enjoyed them both, but I sold/traded them as I don't fly that fast. There was also a bit of a health issue as they...especially the Shockwave, can be quite jarring with some maneuvers and seeing as my vocation is a drummer, my wrists and forearms complained a bit.
I admire you for learning quad/Rev flying on a Shockwave....not easy or forgiving at all.
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 04:55 PM »

Nice to see a discussion of the Speed Series Sportwings.  My initial goal was to "fly em all" so I proceeded to attempt to get at least one of each Revolution model.  Glad I did so as some are no longer available except on the secondary market or as new old stock at a few stores.  I probably learned the most from my Rev 1 Sedgwick.  It made me slow down & feel the wind.  The Speed series tuned my reaction times & I do love the sheer speed thrills.  The Power series made me stronger & braver.  The vented Supersonic had a surge of popularity a few years back among some quad heads.  It is a great kite no doubt.  If you move on to other quads I would suggest you hold onto your Shockwave.  As you mature in your skills come back & revisit your first kites.  It is a great feeling.  I still fly some of my first kites.  It is surprising how much they have learned in the time I have owned them.  SHBKF

Some of my early Revs in the collection

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 11:29 AM »

Yes agree, trend for many years has been towards team flying. It has morphed into quick and easy learning curve now. Future, who knows? Hopefully enough interest to bring back the B2 some day. It will be interesting to see how cheaper quads influence the current and future market, one aspect being whether the Reflex will catch on at current price or if price will come down. To play it safe, I bought standard and vented B2s recently in case equivalent kites don't come to market later on.

The social tendency for inclusiveness is peaking. Eventually, the tendency will swing towards breakup into smaller groups or individualism. Whether that tendency will migrate through kite flying will be interesting to watch, too. Expensive recreation and entertainment in general will probably decline dramatically.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:45 AM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Fly Market

A Wind Of Change

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at for a quote.

Cal Custom