GWTW Forum
April 22, 2018, 07:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PFAFF 1122  (Read 1636 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 11, 2018, 04:05 PM »

Just bought this for $85.00 in good condition. Been looking for a deal last couple months and this seemed descent. Know zero about sewing except reading here. Want a speed kite for my first build mainly cause I want one and they look the simplest. I have 59" by 39" rip stop nylon and a 32" p 300 tube to start. Another 1 that can be cut to 28' and probably be good. Should be hearing from K&FT shortly on my PDSUL delivery. Would like some advice on what to build and what to order to combine shipping. P300 for spine and thinking 6 mm carbon for LE and Spreaders.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:04 PM »

I'd recommend a flat kite. A rok is a good first build.

Learning how to set the Pfaff's thread tension is a must in order to have it sew correctly.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:24 PM »

A Speedwing style might fit your bill.  If so, you might want to peruse this thread:

Speedwing style kite ?

ATB,
Sam
Krijn
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 03:43 AM »

http://tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html

good luck!
Fly Market
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:57 AM »

Based on painful experience with my own Pfaff, your first project or two should be fairly simple. For example, thinking you can make an 18' tall banner right off the bat is wishful thinking. And starting with something like a Speedwing sounds, um.... overly ambitious.  Cry
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:12 AM »

Phil, that was supportive... Tongue

Personally I would say just pick out anything and try it. keep expectations low but keep the speed up.

an 18' tall banner would be easy if it is a single pieces of fabric that you are hemming and then attaching a sleeve to....

Start with straight seams and worry about complicated curves after you get some learning on the machine. 

I started off with three flat square appliqued kites and tails...that worked out fine

the second thing I made was a Rolf Zimmerman inflatable sea star windsock, which after I posted my project over on the kitebuilders forum learned it was not a super easy project.  But, it came out great and I learned a lot in doing so and feel much more comfortable.

Brasington Wind Tulips I made....ask a kite builder if they have a kit you can make....

Keep an ear out of rsewing classes, either kite building courses or otherwise...you can learn so much there!

Keep a seam ripper handy because you will need it, and personally I always keep a glass of whiskey nearby too as that gets me to slow down my movements and trust the machine more.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
breezin

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:36 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Think I'm going to start with the Faux C. Looking at plans that's what I keep going back too. Going to practice making cuffs out of Alpaca felt first so I can fly in the cold with out gloves. It'll be just a straight seam. The Faux C will just be 4 straight lines and it seems simple enough. Sugerbakers grandpa must be Speedy Gonzales LOL. The Tulips are stunning. I'm kinda of a cheap skate and have found Passport Scotch on the rocks to be a very pleasant sipping whiskey  Smiley

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
makatakam

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 11:07 AM »

Having the machine adjusted properly will make a REALLY HUGE difference. If it came with a users' guide, read it until you completely understand everything in it. If not, get on line and read it there. Practicing on a few different types of fabric using various stitches will help you to understand the difference that fabric thickness and type can make. Learn how to sew on a bias without creating an unwanted curve.

In other words, just goof around with the machine until you get the hang of "basic control", just like learning to fly a dual or quad kite!

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 11:21 AM »

In other words, just goof around with the machine until you get the hang of "basic control", just like learning to fly a dual or quad kite!

Very true

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Fly Market

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 12:51 PM »

Thief, I'm not always supportive but I am always realistic. I have a potential financial interest in keeping breezin involved in kitemaking. If he starts out with a complex project, has a horrible time, winds up with a bad result, and throws the Pfaff into the closet, he's not going to be buying kitemaking materials from me or anyone else in the future. But if he starts a bit easier, has a good experience, and the kite flies well, then maybe he's hooked.

There's a good reason why Gerry Pennell teaches a basic windsock for her beginner classes at Fort Worden, and why I teach a della porta. Both projects teach basic skills -- sewing straight lines, joining multiple pieces of fabric, hemming, edge binding, adding reinforcements and pockets, bridling -- that you'll eventually need for nearly every other project. And both are forgiving enough that if you make a minor mistake, it's not going to cause the whole thing to fly oddly. I'm a firm believer in walking before you run (or even jog), and that's what I'm recommending here.

That said... breezin, if you need help, gimme a shout. Or go to the Kitebuilders Forum, where there's an encyclopedia of knowledge. And if you need supplies, please consider Fly Market or any of the shops that advertise over on the right side of the page. All good folks with skills and knowledge to share.
DD
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 03:17 PM »

Agree with what being said; you need to learn your machine to reduce the head aches.

Sine Metu!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:40 PM »

Don't get put off by well intended warnings.  The first kite I built was a dual line sport kite.  In fact I didn't make a single line kite until about kite number 15.

Be guided by your own expectations and confidence in your abilities.

... and Krijn's suggestion is well worth considering!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
breezin

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 06:24 PM »

As many times as Iv'e been here can't believe I missed that site Krijn .Thanks. Shopping list is less $ than I thought. Hey Phil your realistic advice is much appreciated but I have a cart before horse syndrome . Example 1st kite Widow ng . 1st broke kite Widow ng. 1st repaired kite Widow ng. Now I got a Prism snapshot 1.4, Micron and Zephyr. Premier Jewel, Nighthawk, Addiction, Widow ng and Skyburner Pro Dancer. Still can hardly do any tricks.Today couldn't fly due to 20 plus winds. Tomorrow going to ITW to get a Jet Stream Speed. Now I'll be ready for any wind I care to stand in. Called and they are in stock.Now a sewing machine and I don't know how to sew but I will  Smiley.Was going to send you a check for $5.00 because I liked your posts. I'm a cheapskate though so put it in the piggy bank for my 1st order. Will be sewing on old jeans to start. Signed Hopelessly Hooked. Still can't find my Dort Capacitors  Embarrassed.

Fly Market

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 07:05 PM »

Well then, if you're hooked, absolutely do not look at http://www.kiteplans.org/.

Whatever you make, a word of advice: don't use cotton thread. Polyester (especially bonded poly) works better for kites. I sell it in basic black and white, or head to your local JoAnn Fabric shop and look for Gutermanns in a million colors.

I also keep a notebook with a picture of everything I build and notes on it. So if you screw up, make a note of it. And then re-read your notes before you make the next kite, so that you don't make the same mistake twice.
coogee

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 08:43 PM »

Look for the "Ohashi" on kite builder
Easy and a great flyer.

Make it in a basic colour and get it to fly then try appliqué on the sail.

Nothing hard in any stage of that and cheap on spars

And they stack.

Mike
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom