GWTW Forum
July 23, 2018, 05:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tube tail help  (Read 2580 times)
ET
Trade Count: (+23)

« on: January 27, 2018, 10:23 AM »

I have the 75' Prism Kites tube tail and won't inflate all the way through.  I can maybe get it to go about halfway and that's about it.  I've had it pulled with a Quantum and a 1.8-2ish HQ SLK.  I've even gotten it wet and tumbled dried in hopes to maybe loosen or soften the fabric. 
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:54 PM »

How close is the opening to the kite?

It helps if there is about 5 feet between

the kite and the tail opening.

KaoS
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:32 PM »

Looking at pictures and videos on the Prism site, I suspect they don't inflate fully.  Sad

Also look at http://youtu.be/JDiQrJh0K2o?t=18s

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 06:30 PM »

Long, small diameter tails like the Prism often don't inflate all the way. I think the Prism is like 75'? I have a pair of 40' tails around that size and they inflate well. I've only flown one long (100') small diameter tail that consistently inflated all the way and it was hand made of very light fabric by Peter Betancourt.

Larger diameter tails are heavier (and more expensive) but more "tubular" in flight, but thats a trade off as well, they often look kinked or crinkley when spinning tight spins.

The Prism tail is long enough and thin enough to look nice flying tight spins, while being pretty cheap. It's great. I have one, and I own two much bigger, 100' & more expensive tails too.

The B&W one in the picture is maybe a bit shorter than 75' and a little bit larger diameter than the Prism, custom made, and even it thins out at the end sometimes. The rainbow one is a beast about twice the diameter or the Prism and 100' long. It's attached to a really big kite and takes a lot of wind, but always inflates all the way. But not so good for tight spins.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:41 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Frazer
Trade Count: (+27)

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 06:49 PM »

Try using a proper kite to pull it ? Tongue

-Frazer
ET

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 09:57 PM »

Winds were somewhat perfect today.  High teens with gusts up to high 20's.  I also made a leader extension of 5' and still no full inflation.. only about half.  Looks exactly like the picture that Kevin posted.  This time I pulled it with a Prism 220 Tantrum foil - very heavy pull.  Next experiment I was thinking was to feed 2 lines through the tube, cinch it on opposite ends so that it squishes the tube like an accordion, and store it that way for awhile.     
ET

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 07:05 AM »

FWIW... Prism updated the tails now with a larger opening.  Same opening size as the 20'.
Tim P.
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 05:23 AM »

You can try stitching up the opening on the tail end of the kite, leaving a much smaller opening. That should help retain enough air in the tail to fully inflate it.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 04:53 PM »

You can try stitching up the opening on the tail end of the kite, leaving a much smaller opening. That should help retain enough air in the tail to fully inflate it.

Unfortunately, retaining the air is not the problem.  The internal pressure isn't sufficient for the air to get anywhere near the tail end, so it isn't getting the chance to escape there. 

A larger opening at the front end improves tail inflation greatly.  But you shouldn't have to modify a $40 tail  Sad

I've got a number of 50' black and white striped tube tails where the first stripe is actually conical, so the opening is larger than the rest of the tube.  You don't notice the size difference visually, but you really notice how well the tails inflate.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 12:53 PM »

Sometimes it helps to use a hair dryer to break in the tail.  I find often on new tails the fabric is too stiff.
Tim P.
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 07:17 PM »

Peter Powell tube tails are the same diameter from end to end and very long, and they inflate beautifully. A large vent the at the tail end doesn't allow for the pressure to sustain to allow the tail to inflate. The outer pressure will dominate over the internal pressure. I had the same problem with a 3" 75' tube tail, where it only partially inflated. I sewed up the tail until just about a 1" opening was left at the tail end (mainly to allow sand to escape) and afterwards it worked like I thought it should. Of course it may have just been a fluke. Your mileage may vary.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 06:06 AM »

Another big thing is the material.
Rene Tremblay used to make and sell 2"wide tube trails that were 50'. Linkable to as long as you wanted.
Totally straight, no narrowing or funnel needed and his tubes always inflated perfectly.
His secret was, that I stumbled across during a job interview, he was buying off cuts from a sail loft to make his tubes with. Nice racing sail material, probably equal to 3/4 ounce nylons and poly...
He made thousands of these tubes and sold them directly. He was a mainstay at the Wildwood festival and you could immediately see him flying his modified flexifoils that had attachment points to hang 5 tails on each kite, and he would fly a stack of 6 of those - festival day you could see him fly for miles....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tizdaz
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 07:24 PM »

hmm, I have a BRAND NEW Prism 75' inflatable tail which i bought a couple of years ago but never got around to using it (yet!) so im guessing im going to have same problem, i may email prism if they now make them with a larger opening as this kind of says that they knew there was an issue. I will ask them to swap my unused one for the newer version.
ET

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 04:52 AM »

The first run of Prism 75' tube tails had a draw string at the end of the tail. Updated tube has velcro.
DavidB
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 06:55 AM »

I have a 75 foot Prism tail with a draw string closure at the end. I have never had an issue with it not inflating. I typically fly it when the winds are above about 10-12 mph otherwise it is like dragging an anchor.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom