GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 05:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skynasaur Tracer  (Read 2454 times)
Zeke
Trade Count: (0)
« on: August 30, 2009, 03:37 PM »

1. I saw one a couple weeks ago with the lower bridle of each side connected to the Center T.

2. I ran across one the other day with the bridle lower bridle lines crossed and connecting to the opposite lower spreaders; left bridle line connecting to the right spreader. There was an added know so I suspect that the bridle line had broken at some earlier time. I was told the kite was almost 20 years old.  The center-T section was about 6"wide with the lower spreaders fitting into it. This kite also lacked standoffs. 

3. I gave a similar one to a friend for her birthday (her first kite) and the center-T section was almost 9" across and the lower bridle legs connecting to the opposite side spreader, just like in 2. only the lower bridle is intact.

1. trick kite ?

2. and 3. ballet kites ?

it's no big deal, but any thoughts as to why ?
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:46 PM »

it's no big deal, but any thoughts as to why ?
People mess with stuff. Sometimes 'cos they don't understand, sometimes 'cos they just like to mess with stuff.

A Tracer is going to need a cross bridle and, dear god, some standoffs for pity's sake.  Embarrassed

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 09:50 PM »

Always believe zippy8.
7 point bridle and standoffs on the Tracer for sure.

Clickable links:

The bridle when slack can take on some interesting shapes:
Jim Byrne at the controls.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:53 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Sketch

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:01 AM »

Ahhhh yes!
I still have my beloved old HOT PINK Tracer...but sadly that HOT PINK..within a couple of week end flying sessions...IS NO LONGER HOT PINK...but has faded to a very very pretty-lady PANTY PINK today.

That is the first kite that was soooooooo EZ to tuck into a turtle.....and perhaps due to the cross bridle...it was just sit there upside down in the sky, hovering as long as the wind was brisk enough..
and talk about LAZY SUSANS??? LAZY BIG ON YER BACK BUTHA'S might be a better name.
(however adding a carefully attached trailing edge "TRICKITY-TREAT" line
really helped recovery out of the TURD=les and spine tingling'-tangles.

Still....FEW KITES over the years can track straight lines and turn as tight wing tip crisp corners as a TRACER.
That kite won many many many precision events during those early 90's.
I take that kite out of the bag...from time to time...JUST TO RELIVE THE MEMORIES.
Peter B' master of our wind...then took that Tracer and its cross bridle up onto a whole new level, with his beautiful BADBOY-VANTAGE POINT series which also still today TRACKS straight and true...just like that TRACER that perhaps was also one of our fore-daddy-muttas of fancy active-dynamicalllllyyyy bridles of today? Hummm? Undecided Wink

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:49 PM by Sketch » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:56 AM »

You may mean a "trick line" and not a "leech line".

The leech line is unseen as it resides inside the trailing edge reinforcement material.
There is a tutorial on installing leech lines in the link below:
http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3240-installing-a-leech-line-step-by-step-tutorial/

The "trick line" is more of an old school way of either:
1 keeping the pilot's lineset from wrapping on a wingtip
2 or  bending the leading edge to a desired shape.

Trick lines aren't used much anymore. There may be the occasional kite with an "M-shaped" trick line, but for the most part, trick lines prevent many pitch oriented slack line moves and so have been relegated to the past.

I am including links to several kites with prominent trick lines.

Sketch

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 03:54 PM »

You may mean a "trick line" and not a "leech line".
AHHH GEE--DAAAA? TRICKITY TREAT DOES SOUND BETTA? but I guess most of us know whut uhhhmean Kiss[/b]Trick lines aren't used much anymore. There may be the occasional kite with an "M-shaped" trick line, but for the most part, trick lines prevent many pitch oriented slack line moves
(that is why I doodled the red TRICKITY-TREAT LINE on the Tracer...this one works quite well and doesn't seem to bother "pitchity movity-doovies"and so have been relegated to the past.
 Roll Eyes Grin Wink
I am including links to several kites with prominent trick lines.

Uhh....Even dumboloddo me...knows the difference between a trailing edge leech line from a trickiteeee trailing edge line...(see whut huppins when ya getttaabeeemyage? 
HUGE SORRY FOR THE BRAIN FART Huh
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:58 PM by Sketch » Logged
kiten00b
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:16 PM »

found this on google, it might help you.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:52 PM »

There's a 3rd bridle line to the leading edge?

REALLY?

skb, is one of my heroes, but my Tracers don't have that line.  Huh

kiten00b
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 01:12 AM »

REALLY?
that Tracer is the SUL. the lighter frame might have needed more support
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 06:53 AM »

The "trick line" is more of an old school way of either:
1 keeping the pilot's lineset from wrapping on a wingtip
2 or  bending the leading edge to a desired shape.

3. keeping the bridle from snagging on the spine.

That's the main reason to have the "half" trick line on a kite like the Tracer. Long bridle. A keeper line added to the bridle is a good alternative on some kites.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change