GWTW Forum
November 19, 2018, 04:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to make a freestyle trick kite but there are so many options  (Read 3184 times)
shortlineflyer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 07, 2018, 10:44 AM »

I am getting back into kite making and want to make a freestyle trick kite. I have been researching and have seen alot of build threads but not many reviews of flying. I want to make something that has has feedback in lines. I don't like it when there is no pull at all. I want a. Kite that can do axle and half axle based tricks, turtle and fade tricks, and yoyo based tricks. I built a le quartz a few years ago and it didn't have any feedback and would get stuck in fades and turtles. I didn't like that. May have been my frame but I don't know.  There were a few kites I was looking at. P3, essence, orange, B'zar and a couple others but I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:48 AM by shortlineflyer » Logged
Krijn
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 11:04 AM »

Yes, the Quartz (and other Derefat-kites) are very light on the lines. Also, the firm fade is a trademark.

Sixth Sense?
Magnet XL?
(http://www.kareloh.com/)

Good luck!
Krijn
jaydub
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 12:49 PM »

I'm a big fan of the Magnet XL.  To the extent, I have two.  They both fly a bit differently too, almost certainly down to differences in sail material, sail construction and framing.  Definitely my go to kites.
Frazer
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 01:00 PM »

I'm a big fan of the Magnet XL.  To the extent, I have two.  They both fly a bit differently too, almost certainly down to differences in sail material, sail construction and framing.  Definitely my go to kites.
I'd go Sixth Sense ... its all the kite most anybody would ever need and ideal for learning tricks.

-Frazer
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:26 PM »

I'd go Sixth Sense ... its all the kite most anybody would ever need and ideal for learning tricks.

-Frazer

I really like the two versions of the Sixth Sense I have flown (UL and Std). In fact love them. Plenty of discussion on here about the kite as well, both on construction and flight.

(Aside: However, the bolded bit is absolute heresy! It would render my search for the holy grail to be over, and that would, in a kindova way, be a shame;)

If you get my drift! )

Fly your pants off
Frazer

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:02 PM »

The only downside to the Sixth Sense might be the disappointing UL version.

I thought the STD was fantastic, but the UL floppy and mushy (under-framed I thought)

YMMV

-Frazer
shortlineflyer
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 12:27 PM »

Can these kites do jacobs ladder
jaydub
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 12:30 PM »

Yes, both will.  Not flown the Sixth Sense very much so can't really comment.  The Magnet XL will do them all day long.  Just gives them away.
Krijn
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 02:25 PM »

Can these kites do jacobs ladder

Grin

can you do them??
OCPablo
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 02:31 PM »

SS all day long.  Nothing like it, and yes the UL version as spec'd is not framed ideally IMO.  I have work A LOT on my UL and I am quite close to having the same feeling of the SS STD in my UL version.  It's all about the frame and the tail weight.  Happy to share spec's if you decide to go that route.

Oh... and build it 95% of spec size wise... unless you want a fun smaller kite and then go to 80%.

BTW... if your not so inclined to sew your own sail... that guy above me is the person to talk to.  He has done all of my SS sails.

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 05:12 PM »

I agree that the Sixth Sense is a great way to go if you build the standard framing (sky shark Nitro option).  Like Frazier, I found the UL to be too floppy/spongy likely due to the framing.  That being said, I have had success flying the standard in quite low winds... although I don’t use a wind meter so couldn’t tell you exactly.  (And should note that I built frazier’s UL, so hopefully it’s less than desirable characteristics are not a reflection of my skills). 

The others nice thing about the sixth sense is it’s quite simple sail design. Easy to sew and relatively few pieces.
Frazer

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 08:09 PM »

I agree that the Sixth Sense is a great way to go if you build the standard framing (sky shark Nitro option).  Like Frazier, I found the UL to be too floppy/spongy likely due to the framing.  That being said, I have had success flying the standard in quite low winds... although I don’t use a wind meter so couldn’t tell you exactly.  (And should note that I built frazier’s UL, so hopefully it’s less than desirable characteristics are not a reflection of my skills). 

The others nice thing about the sixth sense is it’s quite simple sail design. Easy to sew and relatively few pieces.
I had no complaints about the quality of the construction, no offense intended there. Stephen's builds are absolutely top quality.

I'd have other full sized UL's I considered similarly under-framed, but perhaps its my expectations that are were off and not the framing and I've just been spoiled with smaller and more robust feeling ULs.

-Frazer
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 09:02 PM »

The Sixth sense is a good choice for a first build being a simple sail layout.  I never tried the UL since the Std easily flies in as low as 3, for me at least.
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 12:32 PM »

Has anyone experimented with a Nitro lite frame on the SS?

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 01:08 PM »

Has anyone experimented with a Nitro lite frame on the SS?

I haven't. The SS UL I have been flying is framed in 3PT. It seems quite sturdy to me, but I am certainly no expert, nor for that matter very good (!).

I see that David has 3 configurations on his web page for the ULs as you may be aware:
“Standard” (5mm structil/p100), “Competition” (p100 and 3PT) and “Pro” (the 3PT throughout).

Others have remarked on their frame being a little floppy etc for their taste: their experience is obviously different. This may be in part a function of wind conditions actually flown in, and their more discerning taste and superior skills. Be interested in hearing what those were framed with.

There is enough of a difference between my UL and my Standard (which is framed in Nitro) that I am quite glad to have both to chose from depending on whim and conditions. There is certainly appreciable overlap in their wind range…

Both of my experiences were built by Steve Tapp fwiw.

Fly your pants off
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom