GWTW Forum
February 20, 2018, 11:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to make a freestyle trick kite but there are so many options  (Read 786 times)
Frazer
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 01:27 PM »

Has anyone experimented with a Nitro lite frame on the SS?

I haven't. The SS UL I have been flying is framed in 3PT. It seems quite sturdy to me, but I am certainly no expert, nor for that matter very good (!).

I see that David has 3 configurations on his web page for the ULs as you may be aware:
“Standard” (5mm structil/p100), “Competition” (p100 and 3PT) and “Pro” (the 3PT throughout).

Others have remarked on their frame being a little floppy etc for their taste: their experience is obviously different. This may be in part a function of wind conditions actually flown in, and their more discerning taste and superior skills. Be interested in hearing what those were framed with.

There is enough of a difference between my UL and my Standard (which is framed in Nitro) that I am quite glad to have both to chose from depending on whim and conditions. There is certainly appreciable overlap in their wind range…

Both of my experiences were built by Steve Tapp fwiw.

I'll contend that any 8ft kite framed in 3pt is going to be pretty floppy.

Stephen was kind enough to document the build of my SS UL

http://v2.2.kiteclique.com/kite-d-e-sign-sixth-sense-build-by-stephen-sugarbaker/

I should have had him build a STD Roll Eyes

-Frazer
OCPablo
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 01:51 PM »

Yes on the Nitro Light. 

I had read multiple postings that the UL spec's for the SS were underwhelming on the frame aspect.  To that, my real intention was to build a UL that would have an ideal range of 2-8 mph.  That is what I fly in typically.  I also wanted a stiffer frame than most because I am old school and frame flex is bad!  Started with all 5PT in the L/E, but the frame did not have the stiffness I wanted.

Here is the frame now... and it's almost perfect.  Still trying to get a little L/E frame flex out of it.  Might take the tail weight down 2g as well.

Spine: Skyshark P2X
ULE: Skyshark Nitro Lite
LLE: Skyshark Nitro Lite
LS: Skyshark Black Diamond 5PT
US: 4mm Pultrude Carbon
Tail Weight: 24g

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
shortlineflyer
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 12:19 PM »

What about Ian's throwback or stingray
jaydub

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 03:48 PM »

Thornback, perhaps.

Ian's designs are now quite old.  I think he would probably be the first to admit that things have moved on and you would be better to go with a modern design.

Another one to throw into the mix is the [Return], which is on Kareloh's web site.

Kareloh has both the Magnet XL and the [Return] and as an expert flyer is well placed to comment on the ins and outs of both designs.
coogee

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 04:31 PM »

You can't go wrong with either the SS or Magnet. Both easy panel layouts and plenty of info about both. The SS is a proven flier and the Magnet is, for my money, a great fun kite.

If you like radical tricksters some of Christian Derafat's designs are very good, the Vortex is my favourite. Pitchy and a whole lot of fun.

The Return looks good and is on my to do list.

If you want a simple quick build try David Reuger's Day n Night. It is a small urban style kite and is very tricky.

Have a good look at Kareloh's website it has heaps of great stuff.

Mike

jaydub

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41 AM »

The only caveat to Coogee's comments I would make is that the Magnet XL (112%) is a much more equivalent to the SS.

The little Magnet is a whole heap of fun, but is very much on the short, sharp input side of Freestyle and not necessarily to everyone's taste.  The Magnet XL belies it's size and is very agile, but much more predictable in its output.
inewham
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 02:35 PM »

Ian's designs are now quite old.  I think he would probably be the first to admit that things have moved on and you would be better to go with a modern design.

Yup, 13 years old. The Thornback was old school meets new (back when new was a Nirvana). It flies somewhat like an Opium or an Exile. Its definitely not a modern deep turtle style kite.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom