GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 01:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California Fires in Colorado  (Read 701 times)
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« on: August 31, 2009, 06:09 PM »

Not a very pleasant topic. I hope no one here's directly affected by them, but, having been in a fire years ago, my heart goes out to those afftected.

But you don't usualy think about the magnitude of such a fire's impact. Today was a very interesting day up here, high in the Colorado mountains. I went downtown to the PO this afternoon to fetch a long triangle tube from our favorite pusher. When I walked out of my office to my car, I felt like I was back in the fog on the Oregon beach.

This was the view from my house tonight...

This was the view I usually see (just melt the snow)...

Back in 2006 (IIRC) there were some fires in the LA area that were tracked on satellite images all the way up to our little valley. Though I can't find pics online right now, sounds like they've done the same thing this time.
"Looking at satellite trajectories, we can follow it all the way back to California," said Larson [a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Grand Junction]. "There is a long line of smoke. These fires are so large and burning so hot, they're generating their own weather and lofting smoke thousands of feet into the atmosphere."

A similar thing happened when Mt St. Helens blew her top a few years back.

I know this is serious stuff, but it's interesting how it can affect other parts of the country.

Bob
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:09 PM »

WOW!
Great to see that  beautiful winter shot of yours again...but this new one U shot today.....really is tragic.
May the force of nature spare U and Yer'sahhh? Cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum