GWTW Forum
November 12, 2018, 05:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling with kites  (Read 1863 times)
Kodama
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: February 14, 2018, 10:16 AM »

Hello!

I'm planning a trip to DC to visit family in late March, so definitely would like to attend the Smithsonian Kite festival (now the Blossom Kite Festival) on the 31. Anyone here attending it? My post is mostly to get recommendations on how to travel with kites. I would like to bring 3 or 4 stunt kites, but I donít travel much, mostly without kites except for a soft 2 line parafoil. Any recommendations? I would think they cannot travel as carry-on, but I may be wrong. And if checked-in, whatís the best way to be sure they arrive safely? I have a soft kite bag to store them at home, and to travel by car, but donít think it will stand the abuse it may receive at the airport. Any suggestion is welcome. Also, about flying at the festival, anyone knows if there will be an area for stunters?

Thanks in advance!
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:35 AM »

If you are bringing sport kites to fly at Smithsonian you might want to rethink that, as you seemed to guess ith your last question.  It is primarily a single line event with some demos by sport kite flyers. There is not a lot of space that a sport kite would need.

for traveling though, you can carry them on, I have carried full length kite bags on without issue before, if anyone asks you can tell them they are fishing rods if you do not want to say kites. 
Break them down as small as you can before as that makes it easier to pack and carry.
If you are only doing 1 or 2 you might look into a plastic tube that is designed to carry blueprints...light and tough!
If you are carrying on 4 or 5 you could strap them together and let them protect each other, then use a piece of fabric or tarp to wrap them to keep them clean.   A Ski bag or snowboard bag make good kite bags too (then no one would think of asking what you are carrying too).  Heck you could probably cut a couple of legs off of pairs of jeans to make a serviceable kite bag out of!

Def just proceed to carry them on, I have checked kites before, but only if they were packed tight in a HQ padded travel bag or hard tube.  I have not had issue with that, but still prefer to hand carry as much as possible.

Double check to make sure you have not left a snap knife or hacksaw in your bags, as those could cause issue for you...beyond that it is not much different than any normal bag you have with you..i have never had an issue of a kite being thought of as weapon-ish (even though I guess they could be stabby)

and of course be up front if questioned about them.....not gets more attention then seeming like you are trying to sneak something by.

have a great time at the festival, that is one I have always wanted to get to!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Michel
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:53 AM »

Have a look here.
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:52 PM »

Good link to that site, Michel.  Good advice thief.

I'd suggest an emphasis on keeping the overall length as short as possible by breaking down the leading edge spars. I've had no problem carrying 2 or 3 kites on board, either in a sleeve or in a poster/blueprint tube, as long as the length was no more than the standard rev spar.  I've also carried aboard an ITW bag and a Revolution roll up bag on different airlines.  However, I've also had airlines make me check both those bags at different times - even on a return flight where I carried the bag aboard on the outbound leg.  You travel at the whim of the gate agent.  Again, the blueprint tube has never failed.  The only time I had to check a single kite by itself was when I purchased a single line kite that had long spar sections while on a trip. The airline made me gate check it on the return flight, and I had no choice because we were already at the airport. I thought it would not be a problem to carry on since it was less than 50 in and would easily fit in the overhead behind the suitcases, but they made me gate check it anyway.  I was not happy.  Luckily, it came through the baggage belt without damage despite no protection.
Kodama

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:05 PM »

Thanks all for your suggestions. Any other idea is welcome. Plan on taking 3 or more kites, so not sure can go with the poster tube. At least 2 NSRs, probably a Rev, donít know if something more.
Thanks Thief for the info on the festival. Iím aware that probably wonít be able to fly at the festival because of lack of space, but will be on DC more than a week, so there will be other days. And hope will enjoy it even if not able to fly that day. I was able to attend the festival on 2012 and was able to fly an HQ Symphony. If anyone is attending the festival please let me know.
Will see if I can find a travel bag long enough to fit the kites and my clothes and other things. If not will try a carry-on bag. Will update later.

Thanks to all.
Michel
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 04:19 PM »

Not cheap but very long (107 cm Ė> 180 cm) and very large (Ý 18 cm) => here
Frazer
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 05:48 PM »

Back in the day a SportTube was the thing to have

https://www.sportube.com/

I have a ski case here ... if anybody wants it ... maybe a reasonable offer and I'll ship it you.

It'll fit a good few dual lines ... a snowboard case might have been a better call ... but 4/5 kites is normally enough for any trip, that I'd take anyways.

-Frazer
riffclown

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:47 AM »

Thanks all for your suggestions. Any other idea is welcome. Plan on taking 3 or more kites, so not sure can go with the poster tube. At least 2 NSRs, probably a Rev, donít know if something more.
Thanks Thief for the info on the festival. Iím aware that probably wonít be able to fly at the festival because of lack of space, but will be on DC more than a week, so there will be other days. And hope will enjoy it even if not able to fly that day. I was able to attend the festival on 2012 and was able to fly an HQ Symphony. If anyone is attending the festival please let me know.
Will see if I can find a travel bag long enough to fit the kites and my clothes and other things. If not will try a carry-on bag. Will update later.

Thanks to all.

You've touched on a very good answer.. The Wings over Washington group is a major player as well as the Richmond Air Force that generally has a presence at that event. Connect with some of those folks and fly theirs. You can even consider mailing them your kites and having them bring them for you.. I know REVflyer is a prominent presence at everything kite related in the DC & Germantown  areas.. Paul's a very nice guy and would probably help accommodate you either way. Definitely the right person to start the conversation with.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=395

The very first time I met him, he handed me his Zen and said try it..
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 03:44 AM »

Attendance is free, parking is nonexistent unless you arrive 4 hours early (after about 6:30 am, forget about it, use metro or Uber or a cab ride!)  Our location is surrounded by trees and large structures, there's generally very little wind.  NorthShore Radicals are NOT going to work, a Jeff Howard pro-wren is perfect.  Line lengths are also a factor, a set of 120s for quad lined team flight is too long.  50lbs/100feet is more than sufficient for this event.  There are 2 or 3 fields, a kids (maybe?) plus a field for kite clubs and banner displays, as well as the main demo field.  Outside of this area everything goes except for traction kites, hang gliders and drones.

Our club flies by a big tree (honestly?, appears as a huge hand sticking up out of the ground) on the West side of the Washington Monument.

If the weather is good we have 20-40 thousand spectators.  There's a kite builder's competition for both kids and adults, separated by novice or master class builders.  As mentioned earlier there are a couple of clubs that help to support and make this event happen, MKS, RAF, WoW, SouthJersey and the AKA are just a few.

The field is low and the moisture doesn't drain well, even if it hasn't rained lately. so ASSUME you are gonna be in mud with an occasional ankle deep puddle thrown in if you aren't paying attention whre you step.

The festival starts officially at 10, but you better be there WAY before then if you want a parking spot.

I am going to be there flying team quad with the WoWsters and friends of the club most of the day.  I used to be on the advisory committee for the kite festival, but it became too much work and not enough fun.  The "Program coordinator" is Diana Cirrone at the NCBF.  Sport kite demos are fill-ins for when nothing is happening or between events.  You set-up, turn-in music and wait to be called (if needed), then immediately do your gig and get out of the way ASAP thereafter. 

The objective is to show-case all the different styles of kites and fliers using them through-out the day and ideally it's done against a stop-watch.  If you're unknown (here) write up a little bio about yourself so the announcer can properly introduce you.

There's a spot for bubble makers, a 3-heat Rok battle, a kid's bol racing.  Good clean wholesome fun and it's all FREE (expect for parking, that is $2hr/three hour limit before you have to re-feed the meter.  It ONLY takes a credit card or some app on your phone (but not cash)

Bring a waterproof tarp, water and lunch, porta-potties or a long walk to a real bathroom is available as necessary.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:48 AM by REVflyer » Logged
Kodama

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:03 AM »

Thanks for all the advice REVflyer. Parking will not be a problem. Iíll be staying with my sister who lives in SE D.C. and most likely will use the Metro. When you say the NSR is not going to work is because wind range? In that case I might bring also a low wind kite (only ones I have beside some small indoors are a Zephyr and a Jabberwocky). And for line length, most of mine are 100 feet or less. So now know what to pack. Iíll be staying in DC for almost 2 weeks, so there will be time for flying the Radicals and other kites on the Mall. Any other kite fields nearby?

Definitely would like to meet with you and other kite flyers. There are almost no sport kite flyers in Puerto Rico (and if there are, we may not fly on the same places), so would like to share experiences.  My main goal at the festival would be to enjoy it, see different kites, talk to kite flyers and have fun. Then, if thereís an opportunity, well, also fly some kites. Any help that I could provide just ask. I have only been to 2 kite festivals before, the Smithsonian in 2012 and Wildwood in the 90s. At the Smithsonian last time I was able to fly a soft HQ Symphony in the general public area. In Wildwood I volunteered in one of the flying fields just verifying if a kite flew out or near the field boundary. Was happy to help. 

Anyway, hoping to meet many sport kite flyers at the festival and have fun.   Grin

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom