GWTW Forum
December 15, 2018, 06:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITW Hydra  (Read 1348 times)
ET
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: March 25, 2018, 09:30 PM »

I took a break from flying (5 years) and got back into flying.  Missing kites I've sold off, I'm now getting them back in the bag.  One of those kites I sold off was the Focus Hydra.  Then recently I noticed that ITW (Into The Wind) made their version and took a chance.  Wow! Very nice kite.  Though it's the same kite, it's different... in a good way.  I'm surprised that there's not much talk about this kite. 
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:32 AM »

Wow, at a very low discount price as well now. It's a pretty kite. Which color did you get?

ET

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 12:41 PM »

I got the green but I'm also getting the blue and reframe it with 3PT's since I have the sticks. 

So others know, rods are Dynamics, fittings are not APA's but clones, there's about 20 grams (Blue Moon kind) at the tail, and overall quality is similar to Silver Fox if not a tad better.   But at the current sale price, it's was a no brainer purchase for me.  Kite clique review is still the same but the feel and lower end is better IMO. 

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 01:35 PM »

Twenty pictures part way down this album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y86alnfCtWv9cj8p2

Wow, great price. The panel layout came to Paul while he was

"just the right amount of drunk" after having several panel

layouts rejected by ITW. For the money, how could you go wrong?

breezin

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 02:15 PM »

Got mine at the store. Very cool place. Chose it over the Kymera because folks had seen Paul tricking the snot out of the Focus Hydra in 1 to 2 mph. Something to aspire to. I have been able to window hunt with 2 weights in 2 to 3 with a lot of success. I think the sail loads and unloads pretty fast. Popping a launch in low winds I flip the kite to easy. As I get better I think that's going to be a great thing. Yesterday I had it in 22 to 23 mph for the first and last time. Kite did really well. Pulled less then a Premier Nighthawk in 15 mph. Wind started getting bumpy so I quit. The kite flies lower and higher then stated range but I think 18 mph is plenty. Man I need another kite (vented). I think the build quality is better then my Prism Zephyr and the z is pretty darn good. From what I understand Paul and ITW made some tweaks that bettered the kite for everyone. Especially for us shall we say more challenged in our abilities. I got the impression that the tweaks were more in the panel layout than any radical design change. Preferred the Widow ng, Nighthawk and Zephyr on 100' 90# to 150# lines. Very surprised that I like the Hydra best on 82'. Iv'e only flown 11 framed kites so my reference point is limited. It flies most like the Premier Addiction. Very exciting but it's easier to control and more predictable. Most everything I did on the Addiction was a reaction instead of a well thought out sequence of events. Very exciting and tons of fun.The Hydra seems to demand pretty precise inputs. When I can hit the groove it seems I can move from one setup to the next as slow or fast as I want. I really like that. The Addiction prepared me well for the Hydra. Knew going in that my inputs were going to need drastic improvement or I'd destroy the kite. Limiting myself to 5 framed kites for the next year. Got some serious learning before I can justify collecting. I have a Pro Dancer, Zephyr, Widow Maker Pro std, Hydra and working on getting a solid vented. The Hydra is a lot different than the Widow as I had hoped. For me it makes the grade as a top tiered kite. Now if I could only Paul De Bakker the thing I would have a very happy kite. Mines blue  Smiley.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
ET

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 02:39 PM »

"just amount of drunk..."  that's hilarious!

The one thing you'll have to watch out for are the wing battens.  ITW version uses a thinner carbon rod and it's sewn in.  Break one of those and you'll have to find a way to replace the battens.     
breezin

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 05:08 PM »

Fella said the battens pockets loosened up and he lost both sides. He's thought about hand stitching them tighter but just used rip stop. I put a small strip cross ways on the top and bottom pockets. If I get the problem hopefully that makes it later then sooner. Looks intentional unless your in the know.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
2nd Wind
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:17 PM »

Talked to someone at ITW today about the Hydra. They have 5 green & 7 blue Hydra's left at a great price, & he doesn't believe that they are going to continue with the kite going forward. It's not in their new 2019 catalogue either.

Just a 'Head's Up' for anyone interested..........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom