GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 02:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EO 8 problems  (Read 4827 times)
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 02, 2009, 10:14 PM »

I am having problems flying the EO 8. I have an EO 6 and there is no trouble with that kite. When I try the EO 8, it keeps flipping over so the bridle is at the top of the kite (similar to a fade with a duel line kite). When it is flipped the kite either flies into the ground or the kite flattens out ready for packing and then it hits the ground. I have tried to fly this kite 5 times in winds varying from 3 mph up to 20 mph. The only constant is the kite always flips over. The one area I can think of changing is the bridle. Both the EO 6 and the EO 8 bridles are exactly the same. I would think the EO 8, being larger, would have a slightly different bridle set. Langer legs and a wider connection points on the kite.

If anyone has had this kind of problem, your help would be appreciated

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:16 AM »

Mark did this to 2 EO6 kites with a spar:

It flew quite well. Don't know anything else you can try. Supposedly they are supposed to be "active".

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:18 PM »

That folding flat problem is common to both the EO10 & EO8, it sort of negates the advertised tricking ability of the kite. I put stronger elastic in my EO10 to try to stop that so I could use the kite for what it was intended for, it broke one of the spars first flight while still suffering from the fold flat syndrome and  you can't replace it short of rebuilding the whole kite. I was really looking forward to the EO8 hoping it wouldn't suffer from the same problem, it did and I also found it to be completely unstable like you. I still like the EO6 though and can have a blast with it.

Wish I could help you but after that test flight on the EO8 I didn't buy one, so haven't a clue if there is anything you can do.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
vraun

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:57 PM »

Phil does live in Australia so must be set up to fly "down under".  Grin

Vaino
St. Catharines/Niagara
Ontario Canada
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:49 PM »

That folding flat problem is common to both the EO10 & EO8, it sort of negates the advertised tricking ability of the kite. I put stronger elastic in my EO10 to try to stop that so I could use the kite for what it was intended for, it broke one of the spars first flight while still suffering from the fold flat syndrome and  you can't replace it short of rebuilding the whole kite. I was really looking forward to the EO8 hoping it wouldn't suffer from the same problem, it did and I also found it to be completely unstable like you. I still like the EO6 though and can have a blast with it.

Wish I could help you but after that test flight on the EO8 I didn't buy one, so haven't a clue if there is anything you can do.

It's very odd to me that some do and some don't. (collapse) Our 10 flys very dreamily in 6-10MPH and does not have the characteristics that I've heard so many people are suffering from.  Again, there is a well known shop in Ocean Shores that is routinely replacing the bungies before selling them, a practice that is not very appealing to a retailer, I'm sure................ Sad

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:06 PM »

Phil does live in Australia so must be set up to fly "down under".  Grin

Guess that could explain why they seem to want to turn over all the time, We've been trying to fly them upside down  Shocked 

seriously though I don't recall having that problem, the larger ones just never could recover after rolling them up and once on the ground they go flat and need a helper to relaunch or a walk. I'd still love to have all three sizes, and had wondered about a way to use a  non-elastic line after continuing to experience the folding when wrapped even with the stronger elastic. Sadly the kite didn't live long enough to give it a try.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 01:12 AM »

i flew a 6 again today for only the 2nd time and to be honest, without some modification, it's not likely to get a 3rd flight.

it flies like crap. the one i have doesn't fold when it hits the ground, but it likes the ground as much as it likes the sky, and won't self launch. it rolls on the ground until it's face down and stays there. blech, no fun. "active" is one thing, "ground bound" is another.

john didn't you mention you had one of these also? i'd be willing to try the spar deal and make a double to see how it flies.

i guess it doesn't speak too well for the kite if mark reed is flying it modified.

edit: i should mention i was also flying a prism stowaway parafoil in the same winds and it flew great, self re-launched, and didn't need any "tending".
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:18 AM by fidelio » Logged

Fdeli
Fore Check

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 02:27 AM »

I don't own one of these, but I could tell by looking at it when it first came out that this series of kites was yet another gimmicky commercial piece of junk that would fly like junk.

If the sparring is light enough for it to be collapsable, with that shape, it ain't gonna be strong enough to hold its shape and fly stable in enough wind to fly such a low profile and draggy object.  If it does work, the wind range is gonna be so narrow that for most people it ain't worth having.

Truth is, the only kites you can buy that are worth anything are the ones that are made to order (generally speaking)

All of the mass produced or production run style kites have issues.  All of 'em.  Something went cheap or lazy in the design and manufacturer and you end up with an overweight, undersparred hunk of poo.

I *REALLY* think people would be less frustrated with offerings like this one from Prism if they took it for granted that they were purchasing a novelty that may or may not work.  I know it isn't marketed that way, but dad gum....  Prism, HQ, New Tech, Premier are all serious offenders.  They only get close with flat/bowed kites.  All of their cellulars that I've seen and flown (without question or exception) were either under sparred or overweight or improperly tensioned or you name it and they flew like crap without modification.

If you're uncomfortable making your own kites (which, admittedly, changes your perspective on what is acceptable quality in a purchased kite) - look at the vendors in the flashing advertisements to the right side of this page and stay away from the stuff that shows up in every kite store on the 'net.  Sorry.
Kantaxel

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 06:30 AM »

I don't own one of these, but I could tell by looking at it when it first came out that this series of kites was yet another gimmicky commercial piece of junk that would fly like junk.

If the sparring is light enough for it to be collapsable, with that shape, it ain't gonna be strong enough to hold its shape and fly stable in enough wind to fly such a low profile and draggy object.  If it does work, the wind range is gonna be so narrow that for most people it ain't worth having.

Huh Cheesy

Obviously you really haven't looked at a Prism EO model of any kind..................I don't have enough experience with the other manufacturers to make ANY kind of comment about their cellulars, however Mark's kites are not cheap and/or ill designed...........

Jim

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 06:52 AM »

i have no issues with it's materials or construction, only it's flight characteristics, but it being a kite, that's kind of important. if it spent more time flying up than it did flying down, i'd be happy.

i'm thrilled with the other 'novelty' prism kite i have from the same price range, it's great.

Fdeli
Kantaxel

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 07:53 AM »

Actually, the very nature of the EO's are that they are not all that stable, unless you get them in the center of the window on a minimum of 80 ft. of line.  They need a little room to recover from the slack line and other antics that you can put them through............The six likes higher winds and the 10 much lower.........For me the ten tops out at about 10MPH and is our most favorite to roll up with huge sweeping upwind dives that come almost all the way back to you, and with a little practice and I hate to use the word 'finesse' but will, are a helluva lot of fun to fly, especially in smooth wind. (makes 'em a lot more predictable)  We haven't flown the Atom yet, but it will happen soon.

We like em..........kinda sorry no one else has had much luck.

Jim

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 09:08 AM »

I have the best luck with the EO 6's.  In the video below I trained together two 6's and two Triad's.  Train never "came off the rails" ... came close a couple times but I ended up having to walk it down to pack up to go home.

Crazy (kite) Train

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 09:55 AM »

Glad you got that posted Steve, I was just going to look for it. I think the EO 6 is great fun, I've flown it alongside Ron Gibian while he flew a true McConahey 10 which preformed beautifully so there is a solution somewhere.

Sure the kite sometimes gets into a no launch position and as stated above if you want it to fly stable you need a smooth breeze and 70-80 foot of line and it'll sit all day. To trick it you've got to watch it just like a fighter kite, tension has to be applied at the right time, slack given when it's needed. Sometimes it doesn't recover despite your best efforts but I watched some of the best fighter kite pilots in the world a few weeks ago and they hit the ground too.

Now I do enjoy the heck out of single line controllable kites, fighters, EO 6, BMK 61/49 (I hyjacked George's at Roseville for an hour), and my latest a Goodwin's Asteroid and am anxiously awaiting the Aerobe.

DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 11:26 AM »

I own 2 eo6 and an eo10. Yeh they arent great in bumpy wind but at the beach in steady wind they are like balloons, put out some line( and mine do like some line) and they go up fine and stay steady.  There was a discussion about adding a longer sliding bridle, I don't remember if was on the old gwtw forum or on FA.
A sliding bridle may help it recover when it gets turned over.

Sine Metu!
anOldMan

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 04:00 AM »

I would like to thank everone for their coments and sugestions.  Smiley Smiley

I guess it is time to experiment and see what happens.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography