GWTW Forum
December 12, 2018, 02:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying lines  (Read 4970 times)
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 07:15 PM »

Hmmm......
Then why the substantial price difference? Almost half the price!

You're paying for how the line was made, not the material it was made out of. There are cheap Spectra lines and cheap Dyneema lines. Because the term "dyneema" is used globally vs. Spectra being more North American, it's likely there are more companies offshore making cheap dyneema kite line. Does not mean it is equivalent to high end Dyneeema or Spectra kite lines.

Keep in mind, zillions of yards of thin spectra and dyneema line is made for use in fishing and other industries. There are lines marketed for kite flying that are just re-packaged fishing line. Cheap. Purpose made kite line like Shanti is more expensive for a reason.

Sooooo, if I'm paying for how the line was made and I got a lower end or dyneema instead of spectra, I should probably have a conversation with who sold me this line! Correct?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if I ordered Spectra and got Dyneema and according to what you say, they're made differently and obviously the spectra costing more than the dyneema, how is the performance between the two? I'm guessing spectra is the better performing or slicker. No?

All I know is that I've never used anything other than Spectra and LPG. No clue how this Dyneema handles, lasts or otherwise. For all I know I'll never be able to tell unless of course it snaps. Which I've never had a set do. By then I would think it would be a bit late to return.

I dunno.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 07:44 PM »

Sooooo, if I'm paying for how the line was made and I got a lower end or dyneema instead of spectra, I should probably have a conversation with who sold me this line! Correct?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if I ordered Spectra and got Dyneema and according to what you say, they're made differently and obviously the spectra costing more than the dyneema, how is the performance between the two? I'm guessing spectra is the better performing or slicker. No?

You should get what you ordered, but what I was trying to get across is that the word Dyneema or the word Spectra is NOT and indication of quality.

There are excellent Dyneema lines and crappy Spectra lines.

It's not a Brand name of Kite line, its a brand name of the type of fiber the line is made out of. Stick with a major Kite line brand like Climax, Shanti or LaserPro and you'll get good line.

Allen, AKA kitehead
makatakam
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2018, 09:29 AM »

This explains it well:

www.coastalwindsports.com/WhoseLine.html

Also Google "rope" and read the Wikipedia listing, especially the part labelled "construction".
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:49 AM by makatakam » Logged

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 07:19 AM »

All this just goes to show that it's largely a matter of preference, and in the great scheme of things, doesn't really matter much. Sleeving has it's benefits and it's hassles.

Late to this, but some good and interesting discussion on the pros and cons of sleeving.

While I have tried both with and without, I tend to like my sleeved versions better where practical, particularly if I am changing lines much. Just easier to work for setup/removal at the kite end with my fat fingers -- this is particularly important in cold weather flying, which I have done a fair bit of this past year. 

While I have also tried pigtails, I am somewhat lazy and have not gone that route and prefer the sleeved alternative (if not too bulky). I do tend to go sleeveless with shorter light lines for the li'l X4i and whatnot, but my lines are left on those kites semi-permanently.

Keeping an open mind, however, as I start to replace my aged (as in decades!) lines which have stood up quite well in storage from the olde days.

Just my experience.

Fly your pants off
PaoloM
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 06:21 PM »

Braided my lines last evening after 15 years. It takes 10í a line maybe. An I was rusty. Itís fun! Try it?

https://youtu.be/AXA-mNtDNQE

We carry Shanti Warp Speed, Skybond and LPG.
A Wind of Change (advertiser/supporter) of this forum carries LPG bulk in 50#, 90#, 150#, 200#, 300#, and 500#. I don't know what else a guy would need. If you fly kites, you should probably learn how to make line-sets. It cost much less and you can make them any length you want. I'm sure somebody in here would explain how to make them and if you searched on You Tube you could probably find a video explaining how to make them. I guess the downside would be you don't get a line winder or a set of wonderful Wrist Straps.

I understand. I've looked at a couple of videos on YouTube. Seems pretty simple I suppose.

Mixed opinions on the ease of making up linesets. I think my confusion comes when I start seeing the sleeving part. Some say just cut line, tie knot and done. Others say sleeve it.

I'm not arguing. I just want to be well informed before I decide if I'm going the spool route or not AND if I really need a spool since flying times are far and few between as of late.

All these years (pretty much since 2000) I've never had to replace ANY of my lines.

SuperNova STD/UL, SuperFly STD/UL, Nirvana WW, Fulcrum STD / UL, Gemini, MiniGem, (Illusion, Sizzle. Alien)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom