GWTW Forum
August 15, 2018, 04:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splicing Line-Sets  (Read 1666 times)
Norm Pulliam
Trade Count: (0)
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:30 AM »

I have done this, but not under the hypothetical circumstances below and it worked out great. I did it for experimental purposes, because life is too short to use spliced flying lines.

Let’s say you are on vacation and for some crazy unknown reason you only took one kite and one line-set with you. The winds are perfect and you’re having a great time flying. Next thing you know one of your lines break. There is no local kite shop around where you could purchase a new line-set. OH CRAP !! Now What?? Don’t panic all you need is a cigarette lighter.

1. Melt both ends of your Spectra with a cigarette lighter and “mushroom” them.
2. Tie this knot on your line (or lines):
3. Manipulate the mushroomed end as close as you can to the formed knot.
4. Slide the two formed overhand knot together and tighten them to make sure they will hold.
5. Be sure to equalize your lines.

There is a lot of videos on You Tube to view this knot. https://youtu.be/GhS3mhRsf-k
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:47 AM »

another good one that does not produce the physical knot is to splice the line internally. spectra and such is hollow braided, you can slip it into each other and then back out again and make a smooth splice that is very strong... a Shanti Spleever or a high E guitar string works well to make a needle (or fid) out of...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:07 AM »

+1, I have spliced lines a few times in emergencies and on lines used to slow a hard pulling kite in high winds I made the loops by splicing because they often break at the knot

Norm Pulliam
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:45 AM »

another good one that does not produce the physical knot is to splice the line internally. spectra and such is hollow braided, you can slip it into each other and then back out again and make a smooth splice that is very strong... a Shanti Spleever or a high E guitar string works well to make a needle (or fid) out of...
I traded Dan Rubesh (Wind Wizard Kites) some of my Custom Butterfly Flight Straps for these two splicing tools. He sold them on his website. Rest in Peace Dan. I'm sure they were designed for splicing fishing line. If somebody would like to have these I will mail them to you. I found it much easier to use the Fisherman's Knot, but as with everything else in here, one man's trash is another man's treasure.  Tongue
OOPs I forgot to post the pic.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:39 PM by np » Logged
cmay
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:39 PM »

PM sent.
makatakam

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 02:55 PM »

And if you want to keep flying without taking the time to equalize your lines by shortening the other line(s), just put the short line one knot further out on your leader. You are using extended leaders, right? No? Well, it looks like I get to keep flying and you don't. Gonna get leader extensions now? The other fast fix is to tie knots in the loops of the other line(s).

All fly.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 03:37 PM »

You are using extended leaders, right? No? Well, it looks like I get to keep flying and you don't. Gonna get leader extensions now?
All fly.

MORE GOOD STUFF  Grin Grin Wink

Here is a link to a Line Splicing Fid at A Wind of Change with instructions for usage. While you’re there you might want to pick up some of Norm’s Custom Flight Straps with a 4-knot line-equalizer attached for that emergency line splicing and equalizing.

http://www.awindofchange.com/product/fid.html

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:53 PM by np » Logged
dayhiker
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 08:14 PM »

Norm's straps are the best you will ever use, ever.  Well, that's what I believe. 

Sometimes I will temporarily splice two line sets together to get an extra long set just for fun.  You can just larkshead them together & have at it.  It is prettier if you thread one line through the other's loop but takes a few minutes.   With different length lines you can set up so the connections are not in the same place by alternating which line is where on the set.  Wraps while flying are no problem if you do so.  Or you can just get a bunch of different sets of course.

Can't hardly believe I posted this, SHBKF

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
SHBKF
N4XRD
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 05:36 AM »

Can't hardly believe I posted this, SHBKF
Well, I’m glad you posted this, because a friend of mine who is getting out of kiting gave me his TOTL Hawaiian. I was thinking about flying it on 125’ lines. So, now I’m going to make me a 25’ line set and add it to my one and only 100’ set. I will add the 25’ set at the flight strap ends so wraps won’t be a problem. I will also thread the 25’ set through the loops for sure. Adding 25’ will be quick and easy.

Norm's straps are the best you will ever use, ever.  Well, that's what I believe. 
Speaking of straps: It won’t be long and my Custom made Flight Straps will be as rare as “hens teeth”. A guy with a nickname of SHBKF knows all about "hens teeth". Four years ago (I looked at my records) I sold a slew of custom straps to Midwest Kites. They never bothered to post pictures and pricing on their website until about a month before they recently closed their website doors. They ended up selling them at a 40% discount. It made me wonder if they could post them a month before they closed, then why not four years ago? I guess they didn’t understand the more they sold, the more I would have to make for them and both of us could have been filthy rich by now. As it stands I'm the only one that made a small fortune and the stores I sold to probably have to dust them off once in a while, but still have plenty for sale. So, if anybody is looking for a pair you might want to check with A Wind of Change. Don’t look for them on his web pages, because they are not posted, but once they are gone, there will be no more. Well, maybe I shouldn’t say that, because there is still a couple stores up in the Northwest that carry them, but not on their web pages. So, if you can’t get a pair from A Wind of Change shoot me a pm and I’ll give you the names of the stores up in the Northwest. Since I started making straps, three of the stores I sold to have closed their doors. One was a was a brick and mortar the other two were web based. Should be a good indicator about where kiting is going. Thanks SHBKF for the nice compliment on my straps. I'll "pay you off" come Christmas time. 

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 05:45 AM »

I traded Dan Rubesh (Wind Wizard Kites) some of my Custom Butterfly Flight Straps for these two splicing tools. He sold them on his website. Rest in Peace Dan. I'm sure they were designed for splicing fishing line. If somebody would like to have these I will mail them to you. I found it much easier to use the Fisherman's Knot, but as with everything else in here, one man's trash is another man's treasure.  Tongue
OOPs I forgot to post the pic.

The knotless tools are wonderful too.. like TINY crochet or Latch hooks....LOVE them

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
makatakam

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 10:40 AM »

[/quote]
Well, I’m glad you posted this, because a friend of mine who is getting out of kiting gave me his TOTL Hawaiian. I was thinking about flying it on 125’ lines. So, now I’m going to make me a 25’ line set and add it to my one and only 100’ set. I will add the 25’ set at the flight strap ends so wraps won’t be a problem. I will also thread the 25’ set through the loops for sure. Adding 25’ will be quick and easy.
[/quote]

The lines will cross closer to the handles than the kite, unless the kite is very small and the total line length is less than 50 feet. Your short lines should be at the kite end.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
bt
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 10:49 AM »

+1 to the above as the lines wrap closer to the flier/strap end than the kite end of the lines.
bt
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 12:50 PM »

[/quote]

The lines will cross closer to the handles than the kite, unless the kite is very small and the total line length is less than 50 feet. Your short lines should be at the kite end.
[/quote]

+1 to the above as the lines wrap closer to the flier/strap end than the kite end of the lines.
bt
This was a test to see if you guys were paying attention to the thread. So, you each get a Winky  Wink Wink  and a Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:10 PM by np » Logged
makatakam

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 09:56 AM »

Notice: Your life is a test; it is only a test. Had this been your real life, you would have been provided with instructions.

MARK

Chooks

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 08:20 PM »

These are knitting machine needles "np" and can be found cheaply on Fleabay.

I also buy double ended stainless steel knitting needles (again Fleabay,  sets of 11 different sizes) and cut them in half at 45 degrees and deburr, to make my own dyneema fids for repairing power kite lines and bridals. Makes 10 sets (of 11 different size fids) for less than $10.00. They work a treat!!!  Wink

Just wrap the line with sticky tape and stuff into the end of the needle to retain it when splicing.
I then stitch the splice to retain it, either with a sewing machine, or by hand if I'm away at an event.

I've given many "Fid sets" I've made away to fellow kite fliers.

I also use the guitar string for very fine dyneema splicing, as used on the bridals of my race kites.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:37 PM by Chooks » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom