GWTW Forum
December 10, 2018, 04:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITW Hydra LS  (Read 1984 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: April 16, 2018, 03:18 PM »

Hydra comes with a Dynamic T15 lower spreader. Had a wrap around left side of kite. Yanked to hard trying to spin out and broke female LS. Got kite to ground with no further issues. Would it be better to replace LS with Sky Shark Nitro? If so what size?

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Charles G
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:00 PM »

You could contact Kent at A Wind of Change and get Dynamic spars for your kite.

Stuart99
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:22 PM »

I'm not familiar with dynamic tubes, but either skyshark nitro or 5pt tubes should work fine. I would pick whatever option is cheaper (dynamic vs skyshark), you probably wouldn't feel a difference either way. If you go with skyshark, i would recommend replacing both LS spars and not mismatching.
jaydub
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 12:58 AM »

Better check the ferrule width.  It's probably 10 years since I last had to replace the LS on a Dynamic sparred kite and I seem to recall that the ferrule widths are different between the two.  I'm fairly certain the switch to Skyshark 5PT required a change of Centre-T as well.
breezin

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:03 AM »

Talked to Paul and going to stay with the Dynamic T15. He said the ferrule should be the standard .240. Extremely pleased with the Hydra. As hard as I am on kites surprised this is my first repair on it. The only other kite Iv'e had that screams do it, do it is the Addiction. Hydra is better and for the price point should be.Very exciting kite.Thanks for the replies.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
breezin

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 09:14 AM »

The stock t 15 tubes are thicker than the replacements.Old ones had white writing and new ones red. Ferrules are the same. Replaced complete lower spreader. I now have enough tubes to make 2 kites. I guess that's the positive way to look at it. The only thing Iv'e learned in the last 5 repairs is that it still sucks!! Gets more embarrassing each time but they are coming farther and farther apart. Get to fly it this afternoon and if I break it again well I do know how to fix it. Even though the new LS is lighter and a little stiffer I'll be surprised if I can tell a difference. Maybe in a couple hundred more flying hours.

jaydub
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 12:09 PM »

You fly in conditions others wouldn't.  It's going to be an occupational hazard that you end up breaking your kites if you fly in the winds you do.
breezin

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23 PM »

I know but Iv'e broken them in light winds too. It's more piss poor skills than flying kites over their wind range. High risk high reward.Tomorrows forecast is 30 mph dropping to 18 by 5 pm. The Mind Trick will be intact by the end of the day.If I don't think like that and stopped at 10 to 12 I could't fly 1/2 as much as I do. Talked to Lam this morning and when he was in China recently caught some pretty high winds and flew without damage. One day I'll have a similar mind set that when I go fly I'll not worry about the wind and just grab the kite that'll work best. Got most of the kites I need now but I sure worry a lot and that increases my contact with Mother Earth. Used to have to pump myself up pretty good for 15 mph and up. Fairly comfortable in 20 and a little over now. Still pretty shaky in 25 + and 30+ is scary and not much fun. Yet. I'm starting to envision the ground like a line in a coloring book.Something you don't cross instead of don't hit. It lessens the fear and focuses my vision better.When I start handling 30 + decently I'll be getting another framed speed kite.Hopefully of my own making.Winds were forecast higher for today then actually blew so it was a Zephyr day.Hopefully tomorrow that will be the same and winds will be a little lower.Bought a Slingshot 8.8 couple days ago so I can learn to buggy. If I'm foolish enough to launch that tomorrow you will never here from me again LOL.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom