GWTW Forum
September 20, 2018, 06:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which one do you cry over????  (Read 2059 times)
sanleonkid
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 22, 2018, 09:49 AM »

I was going through my kite stack getting ready for a trip to  the coast.  Looking through the FEW duals I have one of the several kites I  sold off to fund my Sons grad present last fall was my almost mint Standard TOTL Hawaiian.  I received a great price and the sale went smoothly.  I really didn't need the money but figured why have so many kites not seeing daylight when I could turn into a long term item for Son.

......  so , over the years, which sale - trade have you made that you wish you wouldn't have?
OCPablo
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 11:11 AM »

#3  Chicago Fire Firefly: My first stunt kite, bought from Dave at Kite Connection in HB, CA. Modded it by reframing in Skyshark 5P and putting on a turbo bridle. Very lucky in that it landed in A. Carter’s hands and he graciously reunited me with it!

#2 PKC Wren Custom: Met up with Jeff at an event (I can’t remember where) and he pulled out this Wren with an appliquéd face on it. It was a happy face with it’s tongue hanging out as if it was giving you the ‘razzberries’. It was purple and dark grey and I had to have it. I remember pestering him for hours to sell it to me. Thankfully still have the little box kite he made me, but I really wish I had that ‘jester’ back.

#1 Midi Sandpiper in Blue Fade: I got mine off Chris himself. On a day where I met the man along with Tim Benson (and maybe Andy Wardley as well). I picked up this kite and a Benson Reflex. At the end of my first ‘kite life’ those were my go to kites. I kept the Benson, and sold the Midi.  It was the perfect kite for SoCal beach breezes.  One of my biggest life regrets, especially now that I have come back to kiting. Still searching for it...

As I read this back to myself, seems that the regrets are rooted in letting go of physical memories of how/when/where I met some great people and those moments in life where I connected with them.

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
makatakam
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 11:35 AM »

You mean I'm supposed to have gotten money or something in trade? Nuts, I've been giving them away. Some foils, some duals, some SLKs, some quads. Probably a dozen and a half total. The ones I'll probably miss most are the Rev Rainbow Radical and the 1.2 Symphony.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
dayhiker
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 11:57 AM »

Only three kites have ever escaped from the Kite Dungeon.  One in a trade which I don't regret as I will buy another just like it eventually.  I flew that kite several times before I mailed it off.  I have yet to fly the one I received.  It's too pretty & I have another not so pretty one I have about worn out.  The second was a Premier Vision I gifted to someone who will probably never fly it.  So that is a bit of a regret but at least i flew it one time "just to make sure it was okay".  The third one, a Rev B2 has moved on to a friend that I owe so much to that I will never be able to repay their kindness.  SHBKF

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
SHBKF
N4XRD
Trip
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:50 AM »

Now that I think about it.... I cry over selling my TOTL Northshore Radical and my Prism Quantum Pro. Made good sales off of them and needed the money to feed another hobby I have... but I still cry.

Still have my Kestrel...  Grin Grin

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://rehilliard.net/kites.htm
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:50 AM »

Deca 15 for me.

Brett

formally known as grantb
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:48 AM »

Deca 15 for me.
contact Stevo here on the forum...maybe you can wrangle a 15 out of him Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Bob D

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 03:54 AM »

I love my kites too much to move them on. I would regret losing ANY of them! If any went it would be one of the ones that don't get a lot of flight time, the R-Sky NFX (just not a go-to kite), the Benson Mini-gem (better for higher wind days), the Premier Nighthawk (good for novices to teach), the Nirvana WW (need at least  a nice 2 mph to get going), Nirvana and L'Atelier vents (higher winds are better for the Revs), Prism Micron (need higher wind but a blast to try and control), and maybe my Fearless which is a beautiful kite but my Widowmaker Spider wins that shoot out.

So that leaves my favorites: Blue Moon Exile, Widowmaker Spider, Benson Deep Space, L'Atelier xt.r's (standard and UL more than the vented), and Nirvana UL. I don't fly as much as I'd like because life gets in the way but I just have trouble letting go of anything. (My wife agreed that I could sell a few to get a Blue Moon Reprise or Ichiban. I don't know. It's a tough decision.)

Bob D.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 09:38 AM »

Total Eclipse, no question. Also the BMK Muse's.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 08:59 AM »

Wow, many have passed through my hands, Benson's, R-Sky's, L'Atelier, TNT's, Blue Moons's, Matheson's and so many more, I miss them all, but probably the one I miss the most is the MEFM, I got it and sold it before I really knew how to fly well, the build quality and materials used were a level above anything else available at the time (still better than most today) and a beautiful colour scheme too. Ray Bordelon knew how to build a kite!

Just like this one (not my pic)  :'(

randyg
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 11:40 AM »

That's easy. L'Atelier Transfer xt.r Standard.

breezin
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 09:13 AM »

Can't say I have experienced enough kites to really lament them moving on. The ones I have now were an upgrade. Had a Skydog Black Dog that only got flown twice and I really never got to know the kite. Really liked it. Seemed very smooth. Got a deal on a Slingshot 8.8 to learn to buggy on. Put it up twice and wow what a foolish thing for a newbie with no instructor to do. Sold it. Got my money back plus the Black Dog that was hardly flown due to a broken stand off.Lucked out and very happy the Black Dog is back. Was going to sell my Mind Trick and get a AC vented for less pull. Lam made the comment not enough time on the Mind Trick and why would you not want both. Spent the last 3 days on the Mind Trick in 20 mph + and some 25+. Getting to know the kite and learning to brace for the power better has made me more comfortable.Still shaky at 25 + but damn it's exciting. Reading these posts and thinking on what Lam said I believe now I would really regret selling the Mind Trick. So I won't.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
sanleonkid

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 05:06 AM »

Thanks to all who shared their stories.  Many memories .... best part is that there is always Ebay and Clist to find those lost souls again to put back I the bag.
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 06:48 AM »

[...]
#1 Midi Sandpiper in Blue Fade: I got mine off Chris himself. On a day where I met the man along with Tim Benson (and maybe Andy Wardley as well). I picked up this kite and a Benson Reflex. At the end of my first ‘kite life’ those were my go to kites. I kept the Benson, and sold the Midi.  It was the perfect kite for SoCal beach breezes.  One of my biggest life regrets, especially now that I have come back to kiting. Still searching for it...

As I read this back to myself, seems that the regrets are rooted in letting go of physical memories of how/when/where I met some great people and those moments in life where I connected with them.

I had a couple of the '98ish Midi Sandpipers, and when I pared down the bag in the early 2000s I let go my Rasta one, which I now regret. Did keep this blue fade (not shown in the best light here but apologies aside). Glad I kept it. And it's not for sale, but wondered if this is the version you might have meant.

I can relate to the sentiment in your concluding paragraph -- for me it could read people, places, things...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:53 AM by midibot » Logged

Fly your pants off
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom