GWTW Forum
August 20, 2018, 04:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Line tool?  (Read 2106 times)
Flyer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 25, 2018, 05:53 AM »

Hello all,

I just found this and it looks like a great option for attaching to line:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/davidburrell/quickit-the-best-cord-tool-yet

I struggle with the carabiners sometimes, and this look like a smart alternative, if it would hold.  Or quick set and release option for anchoring?
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:16 AM »

how would you use it? What purpose?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
makatakam

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:19 AM »

You can do some interesting things with two links of 3/8" chain that are still hooked together and will cost you about $1 at the local Home Depot.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Flyer

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:39 AM »

thief: I struggle with the ground anchor sometimes on my lifter, difficult to "undo" my tie up.  Just thought it might be easier for that.  I'm new - probably just need to learn to do it right.

makatakam:  good idea!  I'll have to try with that first.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 06:41 PM »

flyer what sort of issues do you have? what size kite? what size line?

Personally I rarely use metal connections on kite lines. I like to use rope and webbing tie downs to a hard anchor or sand anchor. Then to bring the kite down I walk it down (hand over hand or sliding a carabiner down the line) and untie the line to the anchor when it is slack.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 07:32 PM »

This type of device already exists in many different forms.

Want to use something exactly like this.... simply use a large wooden winder such as one of these:

http://phantomstarkites.com/web_pages/product_pages/line_and_winders/traveler/traveler_main.htm

Loop the kite line through the handle of the winder and then into the anchor. Many different ways of doing this.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
Flyer

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 06:11 AM »

thief: thanks for offering to help. I've got a lifter from Gomberg and the D ring from him also.  I can attach line laundry, but for the initial anchoring from the line to the D ring and ground anchor, I often get the line all tied up.  I can get the kite up and down (walking, as you say), but spend a lot of time trying to untie the mess at the end.  Any suggestions?
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 09:54 AM »

OK, I'm not a large kite expert, but when I fly larger single line kites, I'll usually attach a loop of climbing webbing to a ground stake (or two for backup/safety), and then either attach the line onto a (heavy duty mountain climbing) carabiner, or I lark's head knot the line below the knot on the climbing webbing I used to create the loop.  The climbing webbing is very strong, cheap, and you can buy it by the foot from REI (where I also got the carabiners).  Once the tension is off the line, the loops will just slide off the carabiner (or if you are using a larks head or prussic, it will just undo itself once it's off the biner).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:56 AM by goestoeleven » Logged
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:44 AM »

I just found this and it looks like a great option for attaching to line:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/davidburrell/quickit-the-best-cord-tool-yet

From the Kickstarter page:

"*** NOTICE *** The QuickIT (TM) is not designed nor intended to support human weight. It must NOT be used as a life saving device, fall protection or in any manner where failure could cause property damage, injury or loss of life."

If it can't support human weight, anchoring a larger single line kite seems like an getting in the express line to be on the 6 o'clock news.

Webbing, Carabiners and other bits and pieces borrowed from the climbing world are considerably heartier stuff.

Rob's suggestion of webbing and rope is probably the simplest route.  Otherwise, go back to the Gomberg site and look at the Anchor Straps or Figure 8 Rings.

ATB,
Sam

Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 06:10 AM »

Start with one of Gomberg's anchor straps then use his "Spanish Knot" to attach your line.  Dave has a page on his website on how to tie it.  Simple, strong and easy to undo.  Have used it with my Powerfoil 81 with no problems.

Hal
Helena, MT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom