GWTW Forum
June 18, 2018, 12:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new oldie need advice  (Read 1605 times)
Axident
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 30, 2018, 12:42 PM »

Hi guys.

As you might guessed by the subject I'm now really new.

After a serious accident with my buggy and a Competition 2 foil in way to much wind I sold all my gear. But now 19 years later and able to run a bit I decided to return. At least a return to stunt kites.
When I stopped I already learned to stall, pancake and axel. I did not master it and mod to the kite was not even in talk at that time. Basically I was one of the few one in Denmark who could do few tricks and in general the sport was only few years old. So no one I ever saw mastered any tricks.
That's many years ago before 1998 when I sold all my gear. And today I live far far away from any kite shop and have lost all contact to those few people I know from that time. So I hope someone in here would be kind sharing some knowledge and experience about what to put my money in?
I'm sitting back with some unanswered question making it difficult to decide what kite to buy.
Maybe I should state what I want and what is not that interesting for me.
Power kites, I have been there pretty much as close as you can and a bit over the dangerous edge too. Mostly with foils but also framed kites. So it's not really what I'm lookin for.
Stunt kits for making trick. Yes please.
I never made any mods and I find it almost impossible to avoid if else its true what I can read. But in general I would like to have a kite where as few mods as possible has to be made. I do not see adjustments as mods. But I could probably learn to do it the right way as everything I ever learned was by my own. No one was there to tell me in the end of the ninetees.
If it's the same now as in the ninetees the most expensive kite we're the best but also the most expensive to repair. I found that, as I'm in no way a master anyway, a kite which was not the most expensive save me a bit on money that I could then use for spare parts instead. So this is basically what I'm looking for. But what should I choose? What would you choose if you should use your expensive bought knowledge today and start over?
Hope you bare over with me for my typos and non native english.

Regards
Axident
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:41 AM by Axident » Logged
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:10 PM »

Where do you live (Denmark?) and what are you thinking of spending? If you indeed are Europe-based, look into kites made by Tim Benson (e.g. Deep Space, SuperFly, SuperNova). If you don't want to spend 200+ on a kite, look into a Skydog Dream On. About half the price and very good value for money.

Be prepared to get at least as many recommendations as people replying to this thread!

Axident

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 01:49 PM »

Where do you live (Denmark?) and what are you thinking of spending? If you indeed are Europe-based, look into kites made by Tim Benson (e.g. Deep Space, SuperFly, SuperNova). If you don't want to spend 200+ on a kite, look into a Skydog Dream On. About half the price and very good value for money.

Be prepared to get at least as many recommendations as people replying to this thread!

I come from Denmark, but I live in Sweden. But it is just with a bit of sea and a bridge between so is does not really matter.
My expatatation is that I might have to spend up to 200, but hopefully I could find something a bit cheaper. Mostly as I know I will crash several times and spend money on spare parts too.
If the condition is good I would even accept a used kite. Most important is how easy the kite is to handle when you are still learning. And I might have to mention that mostly the average wind is 4-5 bf and on a sunny day with good weather down to 3-4 bf however we do not have that many of those. We have wind condition much higher that 4-5 but then I stay home as the rest of my family might not find it that fun to stay in the wind getting cold while I have fun. 
Frazer
Trade Count: (+27)

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 01:50 PM »

There is an excellent maker of dual line kites right there in Sweden.

http://www.sportkitedesign.se/

(As a former sponsor of the forum - I'm assuming I can post that link mods)

The Seven is a very capable kite, capable of most all pitch based tricks, the build quality is world class and the design is very forgiving.

Here is a review:

http://v2.2.kiteclique.com/sport-kite-design-seven/

And a video of what its capable of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeADEQbNVDQ

-Frazer
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:52 PM by Frazer » Logged
makatakam

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:37 PM »

Or you could get a quad-line kite like a Revolution 1.5 Series. Try it. You might like it. Join the darkside. We have cookies.

You can fly them sitting down once you have basic control mastered. Ideal choice for those who don't want to run around too much.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Axident

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 12:52 PM »

Or you could get a quad-line kite like a Revolution 1.5 Series. Try it. You might like it. Join the darkside. We have cookies.

You can fly them sitting down once you have basic control mastered. Ideal choice for those who don't want to run around too much.

I did actually own two of the first versions and had lot of fun. One of them was much smaller. Maybe half size. It was really fun in light wind. I wonder where you get those today as I have still not found that size for sale?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:56 PM by Axident » Logged
makatakam

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09:43 AM »

I did actually own two of the first versions and had lot of fun. One of them was much smaller. Maybe half size. It was really fun in light wind. I wonder where you get those today as I have still not found that size for sale?

They still make Revolution Kites. Many of the older models have been discontinued. Newer models are much different. The older models show up on eBay very often, in good condition. Probably people cleaning out the garage, who haven't flown since shortly after they purchased them.

MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y
Axident

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 01:54 PM »

Thank you for your advise.

For now I ended up deciding to buy the Superfly. But if I know myself right it will not be the last. But for now it have to do it.

If you have any tips in what order it will make sense to learn tricks you are welcome to comment.
Also tips for adjusting would be apriciated. Maybe you have advices that could be useful or make life easier than using standard adjustment. Having the nose adjusted as high as possible to make flip back as easy as possible is it right? I simply don't know what is the right way to do it. Adjusting the nose as high as possible was what I did with my Tramontana.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:57 PM by Axident » Logged
Henri

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 03:01 AM »

...Superfly....
...Also tips for adjusting would be apriciated...
My tip is "don't adjust the Superfly until you really know what you are doing". If you still have to do it, measure everything before proceeding to be able to restore the original configuration.
Have fun
Henri
Axident

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 04:28 AM »

My tip is "don't adjust the Superfly until you really know what you are doing".

Would you also not adjust depending on light or heavy wind?

Its not that I don't know anything about how to adjust a kite to make it fly. I did fly kites for 5 years however it was mostly racing with buggy. But I don't know if there is adjustment that make it easier to make tricks?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:36 AM by Axident » Logged
makatakam

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 11:04 AM »

My tip is "don't adjust the Superfly until you really know what you are doing".

Would you also not adjust depending on light or heavy wind?

Its not that I don't know anything about how to adjust a kite to make it fly. I did fly kites for 5 years however it was mostly racing with buggy. But I don't know if there is adjustment that make it easier to make tricks?

Definitely adjust for light or heavy wind. How much you move it is key to what you get in return. The more you move the adjustment towards the tail, the more unstable the kite becomes. Instability is what makes tricking easier. A stable wing will stick to a given path and requires stronger input to stall it. Nearly all tricks begin with stalling the sail, so to trick more easily you want to keep it in the rearward range of the adjustment. Other adjustments are possible with certain kites and will enhance the trickability without changing other variables as much. That compromise between the two becomes more desirable, but less important as your skill level increases.

MARK

Axident

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 11:23 AM »

Thank you Mark. I will follow your advise.
breezin
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 02:48 PM »

When I replace my Prism Zephyr the Superfly UL is #1 on my short list. It'll be awhile though.Got a lot to learn and the Z is a great kite.I Think you were wise to get such a nice kite to start up again. Follow the Dodd Gross tutorials on you tube. I got into kiting last Oct. hoping it would help in recovering from a accident in 2012. It's the only thing Iv'e been able to do that takes care of mind, body and soul at the same time. Doctors and family have been against it. Still have to get injections once a month to calm the spasms in my back.The last few weeks for the 1st hour or so of flying I can slowly jog to the kite and back. That's a huge deal for me. This kiting thing is something I really needed. A lot. Just think a year from now you might be posting as Superaxle instead of Axident  Grin.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Axident

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 03:34 PM »

Just think a year from now you might be posting as Superaxle instead of Axident  Grin.

Wink By experience I can just say, do what ever you can and do even a bit more than you can and never listen to anyone saying that you should not. It's only you who know where your limit is and sometimes you do not know it as you has never gone that far. But don't stop yourself before you have tried if you can and keep encouraging yourself to go a step further than you think you can.

After 6 surgeries and three months laying in bed with a permanent stretch on one leg the doctors carefully started telling me I should never expect to walk normally again. At that time I could not even get out of the bed. So it was very hard for me to accept what the doctors told me. So I argued a bit with them as it for me felt like they gave up even before ever tried to help me.
Long story short. I followed what I wrote above as this is how I live my life. 6 years and four surgeries later the had taken out the last pieces of metal which they told me all had to stay in my bones to make them stable. And another three years I could run. I could and still can't sprint. But I recovered to a level no one believed would be possible.

So continue what you are doing and go even further. Don't listen to much to other peoples opinions. It's the only way to recover and learn know your limits.

'Axident' could easily have something to do with my accident. But it actually do not. It's related to a German word for a seden printing method. Anyway it would be great in one year to be able to call yourself Superaxle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom