GWTW Forum
April 26, 2019, 09:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th
to contact us email: kitekid@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help please. Stan Swanson Condor spars question  (Read 2663 times)
SurfCityVortices
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 22, 2018, 06:58 PM »

Hi folks,

I just acquired a Stan Swanson Condor. I had to ship it along with some other kites/spars and unfortunately I seem to have gotten things mixed up when I took it out of its tube. I have 6 spars that seem like they are right but the upper wing spars seem really tight. They 32 long and I think 5/16 diameter, brown with black lines shown in the photo. Anyone that has one or seen one and could help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 03:45 AM »

You can find the original instructions manual in this archive https://docs.google.com/?tab=Xo&authuser=0#folders/0Bz8LtJ0px1M9OTcwNTlkNjQtNDYyYy00OGU5LTljMGYtMDdjZDQxYmE0ZjRh
Hope this helps

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 04:10 AM »

I just managed to pick one of these up second hand with no instructions so 'Thank You' Rob for the booklet - it's invaluable!

Smiley
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 04:29 AM »

There is a wealth of information on there, thief. Thanks for sharing it!

Fly your pants off
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:14 AM »

credit goes to Rob C who sent that to me originally....just happy to be able to share it...and this kite, well...there are a few Wink rods to put in

SurfCityVortices

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 09:53 AM »

Thanks you all for your replies. I have the original instruction manual, too. I'm concerned with the shorter "brown" forward wing spars. I can get one in, but it puts significant deflection on the spine and the other seems impossible. It also seems like they aren't fully seating inside their fittings.

Oldflyer, can you have a look at your spars if you get a chance and take some dimensions?

[attachment deleted by admin]

oldflyer

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:38 AM »

Thanks you all for your replies. I have the original instruction manual, too. I'm concerned with the shorter "brown" forward wing spars. I can get one in, but it puts significant deflection on the spine and the other seems impossible. It also seems like they aren't fully seating inside their fittings.

Oldflyer, can you have a look at your spars if you get a chance and take some dimensions?

The brown spars on mine are just under 81cm long. One of mine fits perfectly and one seems too short if I'm honest. It leaves one wing less taut than the other.
oldflyer

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 11:50 AM »

credit goes to Rob C who sent that to me originally....just happy to be able to share it...and this kite, well...there are a few Wink rods to put in

You aren't kidding there Rob - this is just one wing tip......

SurfCityVortices

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 12:14 PM »

The brown spars on mine are just under 81cm long. One of mine fits perfectly and one seems too short if I'm honest. It leaves one wing less taut than the other.

Thanks for checking, that seems close to the 32" spars I have but they don't look visually similar. I'll try again tonight

mattbush

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 07:20 PM »

You can find the original instructions manual in this archive https://docs.google.com/?tab=Xo&authuser=0#folders/0Bz8LtJ0px1M9OTcwNTlkNjQtNDYyYy00OGU5LTljMGYtMDdjZDQxYmE0ZjRh
Hope this helps
Hi Rob! do you accept all kite instructions for this archive? I have some Stanfield instructions (handwritten by Bobby) that would be great to preserve.
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 04:02 AM »

Of course Matt! Email then to me

SurfCityVortices

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 02:50 PM »

Just an update. All the spars I had were indeed the correct ones. Seems like the problem was that I was too nervous to put some force on them to fit it all together. I tried one last time before cutting/sanding to fit them and to my surprise they all fit.

So we took it out yesterday afternoon and let it fly! It was interesting, a mix between a glider and panyang flying styles. I would have preferred a bit more stable breeze for the first flight, but it was fun to ease line out and watch it glide away, then pull in and let it climb.

Thanks for your replies.

-Andrew

oldflyer

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 11:55 AM »

Looks awesome!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: