GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 11:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What a difference real wind makes...  (Read 2996 times)
LC
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 04, 2009, 09:31 PM »

Hey all,

There isn't really much point to this post besides sharing a little beginner excitement. I haven't really introduced myself on this forum and I had a pretty exciting flying session today so I thought I would share and take the opportunity to introduce myself.

Anyway, a couple months ago I picked up a Prism Nexus and I was pretty much instantly hooked, as I'm sure most of you can probably relate to... Unfortunately, I haven't found many good fields with decent wind but I try to fly whenever I have time. I've gotten to where I'm pretty comfortable flying and turning, landing and doing some of the basic recovery stuff and definitely feeling like I'm ready to start trying some more advanced tricks... if I could just get some decent wind.

Well today I finally lucked out. Being inland, the wind was variable as usual but relatively consistent at I'm guessing about 5-8mph with only brief breaks in the breeze. Enough to get into a fade from the ground and gain enough elevation to pull out of it and fly off. I have to say, that was a very exciting moment!

I also spent some time working on lazy susans. I got a good feel for getting the kite on its back but I never could get a full rotation and it frequently just fluttered to the ground. Occasionally it would accidentally make half a rotation and fall into a fade or just unwrap after a half rotation and fly away, which I considered a success even though it wasn't exactly intentional! Especially with this kite, which I gather isn't the best for learning tricks on. Either way it was fun!

Anyway, I was pretty pumped by what I considered to be a very successful day. Once I started putting the kite in those new positions I felt like I was really starting to get a feel for the kite and how it responds to inputs. Now I'm looking forward to a new more trickable kite and finding some better winds.

Well that's enough of my ramblings. If there's anyone in eastern Maryland or SE Pennsylvania, let me know. I'd love to get out and fly with someone.

-Luke
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:20 PM »

Paul Shirey (Aerostar Kites) is in Penn.

Give him a call, (it's on his website). He would be a great guy to learn from.

Welcome to the Forum as a contributor.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:19 PM »

I remember days like that when I was starting out.  Smiley

Thing is, 11 years later a day with good wind is still a treat.

Wait till you get to fly in smooth steady beach wind. Heaven   Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 06:45 AM »

Paul Shirey (Aerostar Kites) is in Penn.

Give him a call, (it's on his website). He would be a great guy to learn from.

Welcome to the Forum as a contributor.  Smiley

Paul is is near pittsburgh.
Welcome to the forum!

Sine Metu!
LC

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 04:58 PM »

Yea, Pittsburgh is a good ways from me but thanks for the heads up, there is some good info on his site.

Wait till you get to fly in smooth steady beach wind. Heaven   Smiley

Yes, I'm hoping to get to the beach sometime this fall. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Thanks for all the welcomes!
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:57 AM »

We're in Chester County (Downingtown).

Larry
Winged V

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:20 PM »

Hi,
 My home field is Sam Lewis state park in York Pa.

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 07:36 PM »

yeh i know its a haul but cleveland kitefest is this weekend
and Burton apple butter festival is oct 10th and 11th( a good trip for the ladies; " look honey they have crafty stuff" Not really a kite festival but Paul Shirey did make it up last year and we had alot(15+) aeorstar kites there

please forgive the thread hijack..

On a related note, you will learn alot quicker flying others and besides that best part is OPK;(you get to try Other Peoples Kites) Tongue

Sine Metu!
LC

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 01:51 PM »

We're in Chester County (Downingtown).
You're not too far from me. I'm in Devon. Do you have any tips for flying fields in the area? I usually try to fly at Wilson Park up in Chesterbrook but it's been pretty busy in the evenings with soccer and football practice.

My home field is Sam Lewis state park in York Pa.
That's a little bit further but I could get out there pretty easily on a weekend sometime. I did my undergrad at York and wouldn't be opposed to visiting some people while I'm out there.

If either of you ever have advanced plans for flying sometime, let me know (if you wouldn't mind some company).

yeh i know its a haul but cleveland kitefest is this weekend
and Burton apple butter festival is oct 10th and 11th( a good trip for the ladies; " look honey they have crafty stuff" Not really a kite festival but Paul Shirey did make it up last year and we had alot(15+) aeorstar kites there

please forgive the thread hijack..

On a related note, you will learn alot quicker flying others and besides that best part is OPK;(you get to try Other Peoples Kites) Tongue
Unfortunately I don't think I'd have time to make a trip like that this semester (trying to finish up my thesis and graduate) but keep me posted. Once I have a little more free time I wouldn't mind making a longer trip. I can definitely see the advantage of flying with other people (and other peoples kites... )

Thanks for all the info  Smiley
Winged V

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:48 PM »

LC,
I fly almost everyday,3 1/2 hrs last Sat and 9:ooam to 3:30pm last Sunday, didn't tonite because of the rain.Would NOT mind some company.Shoot me a email and exchange #'s.

The top of Sam Lewis hill is a kite designated area...Highest point around,hill winds are nice from all but the west , got another spot a couple miles from there that has  sweet wind when from the west.

When you ready to head this way ,let me know.

LC

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 06:49 PM »

Sounds great! When I figure out what I'm doing this weekend I may drop you a line. Looks like the weather should be alright at least on Sunday.

Thanks  Smiley
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 08:55 AM »

Wilson Park is just a few minutes from my office. I've flown there a couple of times (company picnic), but never with more than very light winds.  A couple of us here have talked about going out sometime, but it hasn't happened yet. Some people fly at Valley Forge park, but I haven't tried that yet.

I really don't have any favorite fields (Wildwood beach, but that's hardly local). We've flown at East Brandywine Community Park in Guthriesville - soocer fields, and at Shamona Creek Elementary School north of Downingtown. These are both pretty well west of you.

Larry
LC

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 08:10 AM »

I flew at Valley Forge once right after I bought my kite. I found one field there that they keep mowed. I imagine if the wind is out of the north or north east it would be fairly decent. Wilson Park is closer to me so I haven't made it back up there. I'll have to explore the fields you mentioned sometime. Thanks Smiley
Winged V

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 05:57 AM »

LC,
Winds are sweet this morning.
Should be a great day for flying.
Talk to you then.

LC

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 05:02 PM »

LC,
Winds are sweet this morning.
Should be a great day for flying.
Talk to you then.

Rick,

Thank you again for flying with me Sunday and letting me sample some of your kites. It was great to meet you and a great learning experience. I have a lot to think about now  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change