GWTW Forum
June 20, 2018, 08:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Totl  (Read 732 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: June 09, 2018, 10:08 AM »

Got this kite yesterday. Belonged to a guy from Seattle named John Keiter who has passed on. Needs upper spreader and a nock. Bridle and bungees look to be in good shape. Doesn't have stand offs and I don't  see pockets for them. On lower spreader there are tubes at LE that I don't understand. I don't understand the  tubing along the bridle either. I'm no expert but kite looks to be a 9 out of 10 at least.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
breezin

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 10:13 AM »

Some more.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
breezin

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:18 AM »

Nice nose.

Biggin
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 05:40 PM »

Hey Breezin, Nice TOTL Team Hawaiian Chevron (C-15).
The vinyl tubes on the lower spreaders need to be moved back to approx. center.

Now there should be vinyl tubes just above the nocks on the battens.
 the bungees should wrap around the vinyl tubes first then though the sail
out through the back side then on to the nocks.
now you can insert a 18' long stand offs into the vinyl tubes. Got it!!
Biggin.
Biggin

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 05:49 PM »

Breezin, just in case you need top spreader length is 22'
Biggin.
skb
Trade Count: (+23)

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 05:52 PM »

not my kite, but here's a pic of a Hawaiian Team with stand-offs:

clickable thumbnailô

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
Biggin

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 05:57 PM »

Sorry that's inches not feet.
Wow that would be one WIDE kite!
Biggin.
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 07:07 PM »

Thief has generously given us access to some manuals and instructions and you will see on the link below that for the TOTL Hawaiian Team Kite in .pdf form.  It may be of assistance in learning the parts of your kite -- believe it also makes passing reference to the Wisker kit (standoffs today).

edit: There are some useful diagrams of the bridle attachments etc. in that manual.

You will have a hoot with this kite!

The link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bz8LtJ0px1M9NWFiYTZhNTktOTE5MS00YTIyLWFlM2YtNTNiNGI1NTQxYzk5

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:12 PM by midibot » Logged

Fly your pants off
breezin

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 11:19 AM »

Thanks for the info. Really stoked to have gotten this kite. The last couple months I've started to calm down. Starting to appreciate the need and joy of precision flying. Between this and the Pro Dancer I should develop some pretty good precision skills. When I can multi lazy then go straight into a comete' on those 2 kites I know I'll have arrived  Huh. Decades of failures to come LOL. Going to ITW tomorrow or Tuesday. Hopefully get parts and some more knowledge. My Hydra is still my most flown kite. Bang the hell out of that thing. Put my last spare spreader on couple days a go and need some more tubes. Lost a wing tip batten that needs sewn back in. Wore the TE in a few spots and leach line is exposed. Need to see how they repair and then reinforce the weak spots first hand. Was told about them before I got the kite but my reinforcement attempts failed. Looked good but still. Going to get a 200 lb line set for the Totl, 25 mph plus on the Mind Trick vented and for the speed kite I'll build. 120' should be perfect. Got 100' x 150 lb so that should be good enough in less then 15. If I can get the Hydra fixed up and the Totl ready to fly it will be a good trip. IF I come home WITHOUT a Kymera it will be a excellent trip. Last couple days been feeling a tremendous need for a Fearless II  Undecided.

midibot

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 12:16 PM »

[...] Doesn't have stand offs and I don't  see pockets for them. On lower spreader there are tubes at LE that I don't understand.[...]

Hey Breezin, Nice TOTL Team Hawaiian Chevron (C-15).
The vinyl tubes on the lower spreaders need to be moved back to approx. center.

Now there should be vinyl tubes just above the nocks on the battens.
 the bungees should wrap around the vinyl tubes first then though the sail
out through the back side then on to the nocks.
now you can insert a 18' long stand offs into the vinyl tubes. Got it!!
Biggin.

Here's a pic, below, I just snapped of the "Wisker" or standoff on one of my Hawaiians, which should give you an idea of the setup. (1000 words, etc.)

The dimensions of mine reinforce Biggin:

18 inches of ~.125ish solid white fibreglass rod, with red vinyl end caps. My calipers show closer to .130 but dunno if that is widely available whereas .125 (or 1/8 inch) is.  Your ITW has the .125 in stock according to its website.

One each side.

Mine had a small bit of line attached to the wisker and tied to the batten bungies, barely visible in the photo here. Loss prevention, presumably (!!).

Have fun!

Fly your pants off
breezin

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 07:24 AM »

The vinyl tubing on bottom center bridle still doesn't make sense to me. No mention of it in instructions. No pics on other kites. Maybe a add on for stacking? Line is different also. 3 grand daughters showed up yesterday.5, 8 and 10. Don't think I want to do a 5 hour road trip to Boulder with them LOL. Winds were 25 to 30 this morning but should be going lower throughout the day. They're getting the bug. Wanted to fly when they got here and 1st thing this morning. Snapshot 1.4 time  Smiley.

midibot

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 06:01 PM »

The vinyl tubing on bottom center bridle still doesn't make sense to me. No mention of it in instructions. No pics on other kites. Maybe a add on for stacking? Line is different also. 3 grand daughters showed up yesterday.5, 8 and 10. Don't think I want to do a 5 hour road trip to Boulder with them LOL. Winds were 25 to 30 this morning but should be going lower throughout the day. They're getting the bug. Wanted to fly when they got here and 1st thing this morning. Snapshot 1.4 time  Smiley.

Consider putting up a pic or 2 of the parts that concern you. Perhaps someone will have an idea or suggestion.

Fly your pants off
2nd Wind
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 07:52 PM »

Here's a sketch of that lower vinyl setup. Hope this helps.....

coop
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 06:26 AM »

Looks like that where the "whisker" end would go. not sure why its tucked up behind the shock cord.
Charles G
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 06:39 AM »

.... not sure why its tucked up behind the shock cord.

Thatís the way itís supposed to be set up.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom