GWTW Forum
November 18, 2018, 08:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage sport kite identification  (Read 1017 times)
SurfCityVortices
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 20, 2018, 01:53 PM »

Can anyone help me identify some of these kites? About to buy on craigslist but its a decent drive.

SurfCityVortices

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:54 PM »

More

SurfCityVortices

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 01:55 PM »

Last two

reddobie
Trade Count: (+44)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 02:08 PM »

2, 3 , and 7 are spider wings. 

breezin
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 02:52 PM »

#5 might be a Go Fly a Kite. Kitelifes archived SKQ magazines 1989 fall/winter edition has a review for a 2200 XL.Light wind 3 to 8 mph.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 05:01 PM »

2, 3 , and 7 are spider wings. 

I agree: looks like these could be the Spiderwing kite made by Catch the Wind.

Dates: uncertain at the moment, but a quick search shows Spiderwings were advertised in early 1990s in Kite Lines magazine (example Spring 1991 issue) where it is dubbed “The World’s Most Versatile Stunt Kite”. I have seen ads for it dated even earlier than that.

I have an Owners Manual (undated) which shows four versions: Spiderwing I through IV, all with the same 2-metre (six-footish) frame but with differing sail configurations depending on wind and flying characteristics desired. Generally, the higher the number the higher the wind, but kite speed and manoeuvrability also varied (paraphrased from the manual). Sail shape and thus area differs in each.

Hard to tell exactly from the single angles shown in these pics, but it looks like you have Spiderwings I, III, and IV here respectively (the latter one could be a II but sail looks more cutaway, like the IV).

Nice find for someone interested in stunt kite history!

(I have one variant: a Spiderwing II -- and rather like it Wink )

Fly your pants off
midibot

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 05:26 PM »

In respect of pic #4, it is hard to know without further info on size, materials, labels, etc but apparently the name was once trademarked by Skynasaur back in 1989 (since expired) and I excerpted this:

ULTRAWING Trademark Information
Skynasaur, Inc.

MANEUVERABLE, KITE-LIKE DEVICE WHICH IS CONTROLLED BY THE OPERATOR FROM THE GROUND

edit: trademark link added https://www.trademarkia.com/ultrawing-74001586.html

I have come across references to an Ultrawing 96 and also a 120, presumably denoting wingspans. There may be others...?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:28 PM by midibot » Logged

Fly your pants off
SurfCityVortices

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:45 AM »

I’ll take some pictures after work today. $60 for all 8 seemed fair...i wasn’t flying when these things were made so I appreciate the history and workmanship. I’ve got the manuals and original receipt from Catch the Wind for the 3 Spiderwings. #8 seems to be a Geosport which appears to be dual OR quad line capable? Ultrawing, Go Fly a Kite 2200 XL, Spectra Kite Company Rainbow box delta, and the unnamed rainbow delta. Pretty excited about taking one and flying at lunchtime in Newport Beach.

SurfCityVortices

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 09:43 PM »

A few things need attention like shock cords but mostly in good shape!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:54 PM by SurfCityVortices » Logged

midibot

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 05:37 PM »

Instant kite collection - eclectic, and very good R.O.I!

Fly your pants off
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom