GWTW Forum
October 15, 2018, 05:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Left-hand training  (Read 1413 times)
Ashbridge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 16, 2018, 06:56 PM »

Hello GWTW,
first off, Iíve been lurking here for a few months, and searching through older threads has been a valuable resource - thank you.

Iím wondering if anyone can share any tips for improving left-side versatility in tricking. 

Iím asking in the specific context of the half-axel and JL.  Iíve mastered half-axels on the right side (by which I mean flying from right to left, and half-axeling with the right hand).  They are clean and precise and I can perform them indefinitely.  Going the other way is thus far hopeless because my left hand is too dumb to perform the same inputs.

Itís a similar problem with the JL.  When Iím on and the wind is right I can pull off between 7 to 10 of them, and although I can manage left-side barrel rolls, my left hand is too dumb to pull for the half-lazy.

Itís frustrating because I know true JLs should be equally alternating, and in the case of the half-axel, the left-side weakness is acting as a firm roadblock toward mastering the half-axel cascade.

Guys like DpMama and Randy G seem to be virtually ambidextrous when you watch them fly.  Iím wondering if this is something that is attainable or just a limitation I have to accept.
RobB
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:02 PM »

I've noticed that a good number of kite fliers are drummers (including me). I think if you've ever done something like drumming, you have a head start in this department. I would imagine that this would be true of most instruments, you have to force your hands to do what they're told, independently.  It's time on the lines, the first few times you get it, it might almost be like an accident, but each success builds muscle memory. Some people are gifted, and learn these things quickly, or you might be like me and it sometimes takes over a year to learn particular tricks. I still haven't learned the Taz or Slot Machine, even though I've tried for years.
Start off slow, in light wind so you have time to think. Try learning the cascade, then open it up and it becomes half-axels. IDK, I think the cascade was easier to learn than clean, crisp half axels... I'm still working on that !

jaydub

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:53 AM »

My tip with the half axel is to think of it as putting the kite into a flare and then using a small pull with the opposite hand to lift it out.  This really was my gateway to the cascade.

I' like you, can bang out multiple right handed JLs, but struggle to this day with doing more than the odd left handed one.  I think it is a muscle emory thing that would come with practice.  Perhaps one day I just need to force myself to fly them left handed.

Slot machines are another where I can do them very reliably with my right hand, but are very hit and miss with my left hand.  Again I can do them and practice is probably the key.

Left or right hands are the same on cometes.  I can't do them with either.  Sad Embarrassed
mwp
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 02:47 PM »

Every time you do a trick on one side try it on the other. There are some tricks I do not do as well on a side but I am aware of this and take the extra time to practice the weaker side; it helps you gain an understanding and improves both sides.
Lee S

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 06:53 PM »

Pack up all your kites and take a summer training in England or Australia  Cheesy Cheesy  Truthfully, I've never given it much worry. I learned to trick out to the left of me, because all the people on the beach walked past on my right side. Unless you're training for competition, I promise to be impressed with your right handed tricking.

As for me, I suck evenly on my right and left side Embarrassed Embarrassed
breezin

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 10:46 AM »

Struggling with 1/2 axles in both directions. This morning on my SULs still struggling. Wind will be up this afternoon. Have more success above 10 mph. Haven't approached it from a fade perspective. Hope it's just what I needed. Iv'e been catching cascades by rocking the kite back and forth. More and more til it starts entering the trick. Tip it to far sometimes and end up in a insane. On a good day I can come out of the insane about 30% of the time. Controlled crash the other 70%. Coming down in the cascade I've gotten to a certain point lost the trick yanked and broke 3 LS. Got there Saturday and finally let the kite come to ground instead of trying to correct. Line is wrapping around kite above stopper adding a lot of tension on LS. Yank and crack. Took a helluva long time to figure that out. Albert E would not have been impressed.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
Norm Pulliam
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 12:16 PM »

Iím in the same boat.  Sad I have improved a lot since I made this video. I still practice every time out. Around 45 seconds is a left hand attempt. Mighty sloppy. Iím with Lee S.  Iím just happy I can do a Jacobs Ladder. Itís been a long learning curve. The only tip I would have is practice.....practice.....practice.

https://youtu.be/kDSVqYMh4b
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:54 PM by np » Logged
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 05:15 PM »

I had a problem with 540's using the 'opposite' hand, until I decided to do them (over and over again) until I didn't have to look at the kite - I could just watch my hands.  After a couple of attempts with the 'opposite' hand, I nailed it.  Then I did them with the 'opposite' hand until muscle memory kicked in...

HTH

Spence
Henri

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 03:58 AM »

This is a much lesser known tip that works for me (took me 20 years to find out...):
The problem is not with the hands, but with the feet.
Try to move the other foot forward first.
Tell us if it works for you...
Ashbridge

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 10:30 AM »

Belated thanks for the replies, I know some of this has been discussed in earlier threads.  They summed up some of my own thinking and gave me a couple of things to try.

Half-axels are one of the more enjoyable tricks to perform in stronger winds.  I'd like nothing better than to spend entire sessions slicing to and fro across the window with devastatingly clean half-axels at each end;  as it stands, I'm looking at a gold medal on one side and a participation ribbon on the other.  Hopefully with time.

I did pull off a quadruple wrap last session, that was a first.  The unroll was exhilarating.   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom