GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 07:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra Sport Kites - Solution Quad  (Read 2878 times)
kitejan
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 05, 2009, 02:46 PM »

Hi There,

I wonder if anybody out there can help on a Quad line kite that I have recently acquired? It's a Quad Line kite made by "Spectra Sport Kites" - it's dated March 1996 (and looks like it was number "14"). I havent had chance to upload pictues, but think of the offspring of a Revolution and Deca and you will be close. It has an external frame and is very "springy" in flight, but much better than I expected.

Googling this (both the web and usenet) doesnt turn up much - apart form the name ("Solution"). Any other ideas?

Any information would be nice - but especially assembly instructions - it looks like you can put the frame on the front, or on the back. It seems more natural on the back, but who knows?

Thanks in advance (and hopefully photos wil beuploaded tomorrow).

Jan
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:28 PM »

Not much help really but I recall Charlie M'Clary was in on some of the design stages and had one at WSIKF in the early '90's. It was a play off the revolution name and an attempt to get around Rev's patents as you mentioned. I didn't get any pictures though, and Charlie is gone now. Maybe Dave Sablino, the section moderator has some info and will jump in.

Another of Charlie M'Clary's quad designs, the Apocalype here just for histories sake.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiten00b
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 04:48 PM »

a few pics, starting here
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 05:51 PM »

quick answer: frame toward you...
I know that a couple of gwtw users have them...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kitejan

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 08:17 AM »

Thanks for that - the photos are very helpful. Am I right in assuming the central vertical spar is in front and the left and right vertical spars are behind the sail (from the fliers perspective of course)?

I flew it yesterday with all the spars behind - and it flew very well. So hopefully even better when it's correct :-)

I was impressed with the sideways flight, as well as it's controlablity, even in gusty winds. SO one to enjoy I think  Smiley

Jan
kitejan

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:58 PM »

Hi
I've flown the Solution a few more times - and it really is a very nice kite!

However there are a few more questions:
First exactly what carbon is used? The leading edges look like 6mm wrapped carbon, but what are the vertical spars? Carbon fibre or glass? I think carbon but you never know.
Second what handles were these originally flown on? As always I'm using  my extended rev handles but was wondering what was intended?

As always thanks for any help.

Jan
kiten00b
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 01:01 PM »

the frame is carbon-wrapped aluminum, maybe early Easton spars. the verticals are generic pultruded carbon, iirc
kitejan

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:39 PM »

Thanks for that. So in the (likely, eventually) event of breaking one of those aluminium wrapped spars what would be the nearest equivalent these days?

I have uploaded a short video of me flying the Spectra onto youtube here:
Spectra Solution Quad

And some info can be found on my website here:
http://www.kitejan.me.uk/quad/solution.htm

Feel free to tell me I have the spars the wrong way round  Smiley

Jan
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 03:38 AM »

Hey Jan...nice!!!!!!
done well!!!!

the solution is very symmetrical top to bottom.....it really has not forward "direction" when flying it......
a nice addition to a full blown quad bag! Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 06:47 PM »

as a former 3D archery shooter, those aluminum wrapped spars from Easton are ACC arrow shafts as far as I can tell. Those arrows are still available today. You would have to get the model number of the spar, probably a 3-60 or something of the like. I have not shot ACC's in about a decade, but I am pretty sure you can still get them from Easton.

Cheers,
Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document