GWTW Forum
September 25, 2018, 04:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going a Little Psycho  (Read 926 times)
breezin
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: July 06, 2018, 01:20 PM »

Sooo got me some more reading and learning to do. Missing LS and 1 nock. Sail tension rubber is broke. Nose has a thin spot that I'll plexi. Stand off sail connectors and the Dacron reinforcement needs replaced.Want to replace the nocks and tension like on a Benson or Sky Sport.Bridle is in great shape but apparently needs some work. Replace with 3 or 4 point. Don't know yet. It'll be my 1st bridle build. Other than that I think the kite is a solid B.Going to follow Steve Tapps guidelines. His reads are very entertaining and easy to follow. Never heard a complaint about his stuff. Differing opinions but that's what makes this stuff so interesting. Flew his white Widow Maker sail this morning for a couple hours. Love, love that kite. Took a break from learning to sew. Seems like the Psycho is the place to restart. Got a LP competition 100'x 150# Quad set with the kite. Thought it was new and LPG. See what I want to see sometimes LOL. Lines are in excellent condition. For the price not even a glimmer of complaint.Premier Addiction has been properly replaced. For now.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
DD
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 04:53 PM »

There was a "psycho therapy" thread in the forums at some point. Lots of good info

Sine Metu!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 06:57 PM »

I have one of Steveís personal Psycho ďProsĒ. If you need any measurements from one of his kites, let me know.

Allen, AKA kitehead
breezin

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 12:47 PM »

Psycho Therapy and Andys videos are the main reason for getting the kite LOL. Thanks Allen. If you'd post a picture that would be super cool. I'll let you know when I get stuck  :)The longer keel difference makes me really curious. Kite should be flying in a couple days. Learning to fly and tweak this kite is going to teach me a ton. Bridle will be 1st mod. Back to reading Wardleys info on bridles again.Jon T gave me some good ideas on the Addiction but I never got the balls to do anything. Changed the bridle on it a bit but liked the zany stock settings better. My grand kids are struggling on their Addiction. Was going to fly with them last weekend but severe storms kept me home. Going to adjust their bridle again to try and calm it down a bit more.8 year old grand son is the least intimidated. He gets the grins when he keeps it up and laughs way to much when he crashes.Gotta watch him cause he likes crashing the foils on purpose. Whump makes him happy.Need to adjust my Black Dogs bridle for all the grand kids too. Bought a ITW Cadet for when they're here after one of em tore up my Hydra. Totally my bad cause I was pushing him as the winds started hitting 20 mph. We had a blast though and kite flies as good as ever. Cadet is a turd. Adjusted the out hauls and it flies barely okay.Think the Vision is a lot better kite and I should have kept my Jewel for them. Jewel is a lot of bang for the buck.What I'm going to learn on the Psycho I can hopefully transfer some to the Cadet. Get rid of the twitchy and flat feel in the kite. Only paid $29.00 in A+ shape so it won't break the bank to experiment. Line set and frame were worth that.Week ago yesterday winds were running 30 to 40 mph and just about cigared the thing to see what would happen. Still might.

A free people follow neither politician nor preacher. They are servants. Exalted to leadership their desires no matter how noble lead to poverty, despair and destruction. Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790 Life long kite flyer.
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 04:58 PM »

You have acquired a nice kite! Donít blink, or you will miss the axel you just (perhaps inadvertently) performed. Liked my Psycho so much from way back when that I bought another not too long ago from skb!

It was a natural follow-up to my Stranger. A fun higher wind kite.

You may be familiar with the Flexifoil videos with Andy Preston et al. Here is a relatively recent ickytv video showing a tweaked version, if not seen already. Spoiler alert warning on the final few frames. BTDT Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-kH9PtKEg&feature=youtu.be

Give consideration to initially keeping it simple by restoring the kite as far as practical, and experiencing it in itís original form, including bridle. This will give you a baseline going forward, and learning the differences the changes make to flight and performance if and as you embark on any modifications. But thatís just the way I think and you will of course do what you want (there is no wrong way here).

There are plenty of mod suggestions out there, that is for sure.

Have a blast with the kite!

Fly your pants off
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 03:31 AM »

Whe people mod Stangers/Psychos they often ditch the trick line. IMHO (and some other) this is not a good thing
The trick line is intentionally short so that when fitted as per the instructions, it pulls the wing tips in to change the sail shape a little. On an all original Psycho you can really feel the difference if the trick line drops off.

On the standard kite just moving the tow point up 10mm is enough to make it a little more predictable without losing its character

I've worn out 3 psychos Smiley I need to find another

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 08:50 AM »

Here's a photo of the Steve Tapp "Psycho Pro"

This was the result of me sending my almost dead Psycho to Steve: "I've always wanted to try one of those"

I can't say it flies anything like a normal Psycho, which was the point, I suppose.

If you have a stock Psycho, I agree that it's great to fly it as intended before modding.

Allen, AKA kitehead
skb
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 11:20 AM »

My pair, a Steve Tapp Pro and regular Flexifoil Psycho.

clickable thumbnailô

Sent from my '11 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.13
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 12:09 PM »

I think I may be feeling a bout of lust coming on...

Fly your pants off
breezin

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 11:44 AM »

Those Psycho Pro pics are great.The only thing that won't be stock is the LS, nocks and sail tension bungee. It's going to be the base line for building my 1st kite. Some bridle tweaks to figure out where I'm going on the build but then back to stock. Kites to cool to mod permanently so I'll copy it. Change the builds as I'm inspired by flying it stock. Do not want to have to try and remember what it flew like. Miss having a radical kite so I don't want to change things to much.Hydra isn't exactly tame though.More of a learning project than anything.For not really being classified as a modern day trick kite the videos kind of counter that thought in my mind. Only kite I got with a trick line.Leech line for sail billow vs trick line for LE shape? Kites from the era of Sidewinder, Alien and other kites with varying radical wing tip designs. Not having flown this or those other kites yet but having the trick line operational makes perfect sense to me.Just about got a Sidewinder at least 29 times. Missed out on a Craigslist Alien by a couple hours. Getting this I think has worked out for the best. Very cool how the Psycho and Pro complement each other but they do look like 2 different kites in the pics. Please send both kites overnight express asap skb. I'll send you a 1.4 Go Fly a Kite foil snail mail in return. Huh Helluva deal for one of us LOL.

harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 01:34 AM »

Very nice  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom