GWTW Forum
April 21, 2014, 05:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Line Climber  (Read 5251 times)
layangman
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 05, 2009, 08:25 PM »

Hi,

Need some advice here.
I've a butterfly shaped line climber (Chinese origin) but haven't the foggiest idea how to set it up Sad
Made of bamboo and hand painted on cloth, it very beautiful and the wings' open/close mechanism is very smooth.
Only problem is I can't find a way to setup so that it will trigger and slice down the kite line.

I will post some pix, hopefully someone here had experience with this climber and shed some light Smiley

Good winds.

Patrick
dadecitykiter
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:30 PM »

Hey Patrick,
First you are going to need a stopper on your line, I use a piece of old broomstick with a hole drilled through it. Pull a loop of line through the hole and pull it around to form a larkshead. You can put it anywhere on the line you want, the higher the better for the butterfly.

There should be two spring looking things on top of the slider piece. On one end of the slider there should be long curved piece of wire. The line will go throug the springs with the wire away from the kite.

On the back of the wings there will be little loops of string sticking out. Larkshead a rubberband to each loop and pull the ends onto the forked stick that points up toward the kite (I had to use two rubber bands on each side). This will fold the wings closed.

On the front of the wings there is a loop of string that goes from one wing to the other. Pull this string and the wings will open up. Pull the string over the large piece of curved bamboo. If you look at the front of the curve on the bamboo you will find a small hole drilled through it. With the loop of string held above the hole push the slider forward so that the curved hook of wire goes onto the hole. The wings will be held open. You can let the string rest on the hook. Center the wings.

The rig is now cocked and ready to climb.

Send it up the kite line. When it gets to the stopper it will push the slider which unhooks the wire which releases the string allowing the rubberbands to close the wings so the whole thing can slide back down.

I hope this makes sense.

Gary
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 01:05 AM »

i'd be interested in seeing a picture. call me curious.

Fdeli
Ninjak2k

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:09 PM »

I'd love to see pictures as well.  I'd also love to find a place that sells these or a similar make.  The cheap umbrella climber from Premier is so touchy and folds too easily in gusty wind.  Without having to make one, I'd love to find a climber that only folds when it hits the stopper.

~Dan
dadecitykiter

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:44 PM »

I picked up mine at a flea market for a couple bucks. It's a bit on the crude side and kind of heavy but it works great (as long as the kite is not at too high an angle.

Kevin Shannon of Carlisle Kiteworks makes a very nice version out of nylon, carbon and fiberglass, but it will cost you.

Rob has a real nice one (Chinese silk and bamboo version) in his web gallery
http://picasaweb.google.com/corgimas/TheCollection#5138241496067985938
I really like the bamboo rollers for the line. Mine just has wire bent like a cork-screw.

Gunther, the balsa airplane people used to make a cool plastic climber. It had a little propeller on it to slow the descent. I still run into them from time to time, infact I have three right now. They are meant for small kid's kites and won't work on heavy line.

Gary
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:53 PM by dadecitykiter » Logged
dadecitykiter

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 03:58 PM »

Hey Dan,
If your Premire Popper keeps closing up too soon try tightening the bungie at the hub.
Ninjak2k

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:22 PM »

If your Premire Popper keeps closing up too soon try tightening the bungie at the hub.

Thanks, but I already tried that.

Kevin Shannon of Carlisle Kiteworks makes a very nice version out of nylon, carbon and fiberglass, but it will cost you.

Thanks for the lead on Kevin's.

~Dan
layangman

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 04:36 AM »

Hi All,

Thanks for the help, I guess the best is to post the images:

From the looks of it, there isn't any trigger mechanism that I can find.  I might have to modify it so that when it hits the stopper  the rubberband will be released.  Any tips on how to do this easily?
dadecitykiter

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 08:38 AM »

You're right, your rig does not have a trigger and I can't see a sign that it ever had one.
Some Chinese line climbers will use a lever that sticks out if front. Such a mechanism could be fashioned but it would not be quick and easy.
Fashion a boom out of a stick or block of wood. This will attach to the front of the climber below the pully.
Make a lever out of wood that is 3 or 4 inches long with a slot through most of the top half. At the bottom attach a small hook of wire.
The lever will need to be connected to the boom with a hinge so that it can pivit forwards and back.
A hole should be drilled through the climber below the boom.
Line goes through the pullies and through the slot in the lever. The rubberband goes through the hole and hooks on the wire hook, this will pull the lever into the cocked position.
When the climber hits the stopper it will push the lever back tilting the hook into an angle that will release the rubberband.
I think Roll Eyes

Gary

[attachment deleted by admin]
layangman

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 08:14 PM »

Thanks, I think I've got an idea based on the photo you supplied Smiley  Appreciate if you could post a closeup shot of the trigger/boom area.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 01:17 AM »

wow the colors are quite intense. it's very pretty. thanks for the photos.
if you get it working, i'd love to see a video if possible.  Smiley

Fdeli
layangman

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 08:12 AM »

Hey Zeke,

you may be right!  Yes, I will try it out once I get the chance, thanks!
dadecitykiter

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 09:39 AM »

Sorry Zeke, I don't see that happening.
If the tension relaxes when it hits the stopper and the wings close then what is to keep it relaxed as it descends. Once off the stopper it would return to the way it was during the climb.
Another problem with this method is that the line would slide across the rubber band resulting in a cut rubber band.
It needs a release mechanism.

Sorry Patrick, the thumbnail is all I've got. I took the photo from a Japanese web-site a few years ago for reference.

Gary   
layangman

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 04:32 PM »

I managed to get a reply from a friend in China and here's the instructions.  It says pop the rubberband around the bamboo and that's it! 
The tiny brass pulleys are really smooth, could be the reason that keeps the wings folded - speed - as it race down the kite line, just using my imagination.

Anyway I will try it (hopefully today) if the wind's up, I will take a video Smiley

Thanks again for all the thoughts.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 07:34 PM »

I think Zeke is right, That rubber band is not at enough of an agle to re-open it against the wind.

I wonder does the butterfly also have a bit of a stopper against the bottom of that U loop that may help it stay in the open position? I'm thinking like the umbrella line poppers the inertia when it hits the stopper would bend the U slightly and also force the wings back and off the stop allowing it to fold back.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography