GWTW Forum
September 19, 2018, 02:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to find some unique single line kites  (Read 863 times)
Zanzabar
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 10, 2018, 11:48 PM »

I've just recently gotten back into flying, taking out my Fixed bridle power kites, which led me to buy a new rev then further to pick up a variety prism single line kites.

I found that I really enjoy single line kiting (I haven't done any since I was a kid) and while looking into other styles of single line kites I found that most places that sell kites on the internet sell pretty much the same sets of kites.  Many "designer kites" have peaked my interest but there isn't much variety in the online market that I could find. 

I have found plenty of kite Designs on some of the kite building forums that I would love to fly, but actually finding someone who sells them is next to impossible to find.  Unfortunately I don't have enough time to get into the kite building hobby, so my best bet is to buy them.  I've checked many kite shop websites for interesting and unique designs that suite my tastes and all I find is either the same old mass produced designs I don't like that much, or little to no online presence and are far from where I live.  There used to be one nearby when I was younger but those have all closed up shop.

Am I better off just commissioning them from the builders? (I have my eye on a few from Brasington and BMK),  or is there somewhere that I haven't been able to find using my not insignificant Internet searching skills that I can find these kinds of kites for sale.

As far as unique goes I just want something that I find pleasing to watch in the sky, some of the designs on kites I like the form of are pretty garish in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:30 PM by Zanzabar » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:54 AM »

I'm not sure what the policy is for posting the names of sites that have good single lines but if you search for Ceewan (he makes some nice single lines) or I-flite, you'll get hits on the sites that sell interesting single lines. The single line guys can get you better information though. Single lines come in a bunch of styles. There's Roks, fighters, cellular kites, gliders, delta-conynes, various box kites. David Gomberg makes some nice single lines. I really like the Blue Moon single lines too. (I just have a hard time getting permission to get one though.)

Bob D.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:00 AM »

what sort of kites do you like? design platforms? style of flying.
What sort of prices are you comfortable with? what sizes?
Where are you located (I see a fairpoint email address - are you in New England?)

There is lots we can help with!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Oldgoat

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:03 AM »

Welcome to the SLK world Zanzabar.  As Thief has suggested a little more info might be helpful.  I expect there are many interpretations of "unique."  That you seem to like Brazingtons is a bit of a clue although he makes several different styles.  Some kite retailers stock very similar kites because lets face it there's a market for those kites in a given price range.  It appears as though you may be looking for something at the higher end.  Often this type of kite is sold by the individual builder or at least in limited production.  As you cruise through the various kiting forums such as this one or Kitebuilder you may see something that strikes your fancy and if so you can PM the builder and inquire as to whether they would be willing to build you one.  Also do a search of the builders name.  Maybe a name followed by the word "kite."  Several builders that sell kites have personal web sites where there work is offered.
Good luck.

Smiley
Zanzabar

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 01:28 PM »

Thanks Everyone for the welcome.  I do live in new England, Maine specifically so I have limited locations to fly my power kites due to shifty inland winds (though the ocean is about an hour or so away).

You are correct that I am looking at the higher end.  I tend to dive into the high end of the hobby's I pursue, I would rather spend more money on a nicer kite that will last me a while than one thats cheaper and I will get bored with fast.

For SLK's im looking to branch out and try some new styles and designs from the foils and small diamonds that I have now,  I have been looking into Cellulars and Deltas, as well as some larger roks and diamonds,  I like some of the Hoffman designs (circle box is my favorite so far) but I haven't been able to find much info on builders for them besides the stock designs.  I'm weary of buying HQ kites due to getting a broken spar on the hoffman bow kite I ordered which they haven't been able to replace without it breaking in the mail yet.   

my price range is probably $100-$300 ish, though I could probably be convinced to spend more.  And as far as sizes Im used to flying power kites so I don't mind a bit of pull, though due to the shifty winds we sometimes get I have been avoiding lightweights because I have heard they can break in heavier gusts.  The bigger inflateables look fun but most are out of my price range.  I have been drooling over almost all of Brasingtons kites but those tend to cost a lot too.
Fly Market

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 04:19 PM »

For a lot of SLK's, the only way to get one is to trade something you've built for it. Other interesting stuff tends to pop up in auctions and raffles, so hook up with Kites Over New England (KONE) and make sure you're at their Christmas party. Or come to a festival with an auction, and bring your checkbook.

You might also take a look at Karl Longbottom's work.  http://www.longbottom.org.uk/  Lots of interesting stuff, maybe a bit less pricey than Brasington, but still brilliant to fly.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:02 PM »

Do either of these take your fancy?

http://youtu.be/O0gGm3gM4Hs

http://youtu.be/n15K_Vri9mA

If so, send me a PM.  All I need is the shipping cost from Australia, nothing else

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:36 PM »

Ron Gibian will make you a kite still, I think.

http://www.gibiankites.com/index.htm
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 06:59 PM »

Do either of these take your fancy?

http://youtu.be/O0gGm3gM4Hs

http://youtu.be/n15K_Vri9mA

If so, send me a PM.  All I need is the shipping cost from Australia, nothing else

Two grand kites....wow....fantastic offer!
Kevin makes a beautiful kite...took me years to get one!

KaoS
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 10:48 PM »

Kevin makes a beautiful kite...took me years to get one!

I should point out I didn't make these.  Crafted in the 1990s by Ray and Gail Wilmer from Perth in Western Australia.  Ray and Gail won many kite making trophies at Festival of the Winds around that time.  They dramatically downsized their kite bags a few years ago when they retired and became "Grey Nomads".

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
thief
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 05:54 AM »

Kevin: If there is a chance you might offer that deal up to a second person I would love to give one a home....surprisingly I do not have a single genki styled kite...not certain why....
Zanzabar - your fist one of a kind that will fly in lighter winds!

Oldgoat

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 09:13 AM »

Wow, talk about an offer you can't refuse!!!!
Did I read that right?
Extraordinarily generous.!!!!
 Smiley
midibot
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 02:43 PM »

Eye-poppingly generous, indeed.

Fly your pants off
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom